Irma Hurricane

dandee2

Positive thing for Windstar is that they ca go into smaller port. They probably have their contingency plan already in place because there is so many berths on other islands to accommodate cruise ships. The French President just landed in St-Martin this morning and we will probably know more today.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We also are doing Windsurf RT St Martin in January and our entire group of 12 has had flights and hotels booked since February!

However, I'm going to wait a month to contact WS and let them sort our what their/our options are.

So heartbreaking to see the pictures of the devastation in St. Martin:loudcry:

I emailed Windstar today about our November Saints of the Caribbean Trip. They responded fairly quickly but indicated that they are assessing things and will reach out when they have answers or proposed changes to existing itineraries. I think at this point, things are such a hot mess there are many things to sort out. Our hotel in St. Martin appears to be in the same situation.

I emailed Windstar today about our November Saints of the Caribbean Trip. They responded fairly quickly but indicated that they are assessing things and will reach out when they have answers or proposed changes to existing itineraries. I think at this point, things are such a hot mess there are many things to sort out. Our hotel in St. Martin appears to be in the same situation.

I believe our hotel is gone on French side. Also don't think American Airlines will be too sympathetic with changes but we shall see. We just dodged a bullet with Irma so on to the next! At least we have homes, food and water. If any of our friends on CC would like to help please take a look at Virgin Unite. http://www.virgin.com/unite/bvi-community-support-appeal

There is a donate button. They really need our help. We all vacation there. Let's help them survive so we can go back!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I spoke to American as well about my flights. Their response was that everything is on schedule for those dates. Makes me wonder what they know that I don't. I have trip insurance for the tickets, but after talking to the insurance company on a theoritical basis, I felt as if I had fallen down the rabbit hole.

I spoke to American as well about my flights. Their response was that everything is on schedule for those dates. Makes me wonder what they know that I don't. I have trip insurance for the tickets, but after talking to the insurance company on a theoritical basis, I felt as if I had fallen down the rabbit hole.

If they open the airport for regular flight, then American would be in their right to flight you there. It is not American fault that the hotel is not there. That being said, I am sure the interior ministry of both sides of the island are aware of that.

Please check often: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/news/HurricaneIrma.html

I really think it's too early to expect WS to know what they're doing...there's so much that has to be evaluated for their season and worrying about what they're doing for our 'luxury cruise' when these islands have been decimated seems inappropriate at this time.

NCL just announced they will not be sailing this area for awhile, I'm sure the other lines will be next although then the challenge is having room to fit ALL THESE PASSENGERS into the few islands that were not impacted in the South and/or to the West.

If you have to change your flights due to cancellation of what you planned, the insurance should cover it:cool: with appropriate documentation.

I really think it's too early to expect WS to know what they're doing...there's so much that has to be evaluated for their season and worrying about what they're doing for our 'luxury cruise' when these islands have been decimated seems inappropriate at this time.

NCL just announced they will not be sailing this area for awhile, I'm sure the other lines will be next although then the challenge is having room to fit ALL THESE PASSENGERS into the few islands that were not impacted in the South and/or to the West.

If you have to change your flights due to cancellation of what you planned, the insurance should cover it:cool: with appropriate documentation.

I think this is just the wonderings of people trying to figure out how to plan and others offering suggestions. Hardly think that trying to sort out details is insensitive. I am sure that everyone on this forum is thinking about those who have lost. The photos are horrific, especially to those who have visited these locations. I am sure most are doing there bit by donating to the charity of their choice. I know I have and would urge other to do the same. That being said, I don't think it needs to preclude the sharing of information, however sparse.

Many Carribean cruisers have made donations, some cruise lines used their ships if in the area, or set up matching funds like Celebrity. A good "View from the Bridge" article about the response. It appears many lines have stepped up to provide humanitarian aid, except Windstar. When I politely asked on their FB page how they planned to help the islands that have long been key to their sailing ship itineraries, my post was deleted, and no answer to an email. Thank you to CruiseCritic for covering the aftermath of this hurricane and the corporate responses to the disaster to help us all decide on future cruising plans.

Many Carribean cruisers have made donations, some cruise lines used their ships if in the area, or set up matching funds like Celebrity. A good "View from the Bridge" article about the response. It appears many lines have stepped up to provide humanitarian aid, except Windstar. When I politely asked on their FB page how they planned to help the islands that have long been key to their sailing ship itineraries, my post was deleted, and no answer to an email. Thank you to CruiseCritic for covering the aftermath of this hurricane and the corporate responses to the disaster to help us all decide on future cruising plans.

We are hoping their corporate people will release something soon. Thought the new management would get ahead of this instead of repeat the horrible mistakes that the old management made with the Pride accident. We are scheduled to fly to St Martin on 11/18. That won't be possible and the sooner we have "plan b" the better we will feel. We have also gone through a hurricane at home, have 2 offices without power and employees who are just about over the edge. I shouldn't have to worry about my vacation too! We have contributed through Richard Brandon's Virgin charity and encourage all to do the same. That is about the most direct help we can find with zero overhead to a bloated staff.

• Members

Cruise Critic is keeping a running update on the status of the Eastern Caribbean ports and when they'll be open for cruising. More than you might expect are already open, including Barbados, Antigua and St. Kitts. We will continue to update this story as information comes in from the CTO and cruise lines: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8067

Cruise Critic is keeping a running update on the status of the Eastern Caribbean ports and when they'll be open for cruising. More than you might expect are already open, including Barbados, Antigua and St. Kitts. We will continue to update this story as information comes in from the CTO and cruise lines: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8067

Thank you for the update, eagerly taking in all the info and updates...appreciate all that CC does to keep the community informed:cool:

Just a head up for St-martin not directly related to WS but you can extrapolate. Sunwing

Airline (charter) just cancelled all their flight to SXM until April 2018. In a way it's good news for the islands and tourism. Why would you want customer to complaint on social media about the lack of activity and poor repairs, etc. If people can hang in there with the help of gov, they will be back in business sooner and can plan it properly.

Sonesta hotels near airport announced closing to end of Dec.

Westin Dawn Bch closed until further notice.

Pre-night hotels are another problem that needs resolution, for the sake of recovery of tourism, and jobs for the local citizens.

There is no hotel capacity in SXM right now. Cruises Co, Hotel Operators and businesses cannot afford to let down any potential tourist coming soon. Just imagine the never ending complaints on social media and travel agency if they cannot cater to the visitor. They cannot afford the additional publicity. Gov. and NGO are pouring millions in those islands. They will rebuilt but need to improve the building code (dixit French Pres. Macron) which will probably add to the delay but will provide longer term viability. We will return to SXM with windstar as we had very good experience with them so far.

Go on the WS site there is a hurricane notice. I also think if my memory has not failed me that they have started to make port changes. It must be one horrible nightmare in Seattle.

Thanks for the update! Had not checked the website today. Much appreciated

Just talked to WS about our 11/18 Surf sailing. They are formulating their plans and will be calling people starting sometime next week with itinerary changes and options. My assumption would be earlier sailings first and then work through the dates.

Just talked to WS about our 11/18 Surf sailing. They are formulating their plans and will be calling people starting sometime next week with itinerary changes and options. My assumption would be earlier sailings first and then work through the dates.

Thanks!!! Good to know.

My TA got similar info from WS this morning that revised itineraries for WindSurf will be announced in about a week. Good Luck to all.

After giving this some thought. I would be open to help making this cruise some kind of volunteer aid relief cruise to all the ports that need it. Any thoughts on this.

That's a lovely thought but I doubt they will be able to get to the ports and some of us have had medical or other problems this year that would preclude anything more than just getting in the way. Cash donations are welcome by many organizations and we have tried to support relief this way. I am personally exhausted by hurricane at home in the midst of a home remodel that has turned us into vagabonds. Not to be selfish but after major surgery this year I am ready to just float for 2 weeks. If WS is unable to get the 11/18 sailing organized we will reschedule.

Got the letter from WS today as well and as luck would have it just 2 hours before I booked my group hotel rooms in Barbados JUST IN CASE!;p

Now we're all busy changing our flights...fingers crossed, looks like Maria is going above Barbados but now San Juan might be hit and that's a biggie :(