Safety for women cruising solo...

Izzybeff

Tess M Try the Continental Hotel at the top of the Ramblas in Barcelona. Funky, friendly and less costly than Colon. As far as safety is concerned I've traveled much of the world on my own with no problems. I suspect that if one drinks too much problems could crop up!;)

ITA with others advice to treat a cruise like you would a land vacation, be aware of your surroundings, whose around you, follow your gut, if someone seems wrong, walk away. I'd also like to add keep an eye on your belongings like cameras, cell phones, cash, etc. On shore excursions don't take large amounts of cash and only one credit card (with a backup card left in your cabin safe). There are pick pockets/thieves in every city/port where there are large numbers of tourists.

In a dozen cruises only once was an obnoxious drunk a problem on a ship and he was handled by the bartender. But a friend's small bag with her wallet and camera went missing on a beach excursion. The excursion operator asked if anyone had seen them and, of course, no one had. They were probably taken by a passerby. She lost her camera, all her vacation photos, cash and had to scramble to get her credit cards cancelled when she returned to the ship. Not fun.

Solo cruising is great fun and generally safe, go and have a wonderful time.

I will be cruising solo for the first time in Jan of 2014. Safety is honestly my only concern- I enjoy doing my own thing and having time to myself :D I have been on 2 cruises prior to this, the last one I spent plenty of time by myself on the ship- especially at night. I met some cool people and never had any issues. My concern is regarding the ports. I'm only 23, 4'11- very petite...some men on the islands were very forward with me even when I had someone with me, so I'm a little concerned what it would be like when I'm by myself. I feel like I would be an obvious target, lol. Any tips for the ports?? I've heard about meeting people prior to the cruise (through forums and whatnot) and setting up excursions to do together. Has anyone done this before? How'd it work out? -Christina

My advice would be to book the ship's excursions. That's what I do. Or any group excursion whether thru the cruise line or not. Ports that I'm familiar with and feel safe in I'll walk around by myself.

Roz

I will be cruising solo for the first time in Jan of 2014. Safety is honestly my only concern- I enjoy doing my own thing and having time to myself :D I have been on 2 cruises prior to this, the last one I spent plenty of time by myself on the ship- especially at night. I met some cool people and never had any issues. My concern is regarding the ports. I'm only 23, 4'11- very petite...some men on the islands were very forward with me even when I had someone with me, so I'm a little concerned what it would be like when I'm by myself. I feel like I would be an obvious target, lol. Any tips for the ports?? I've heard about meeting people prior to the cruise (through forums and whatnot) and setting up excursions to do together. Has anyone done this before? How'd it work out? -Christina

I had my first solo cruise this year and I signed up for a couple of shore excursions (and an airport transfer) organized by folks on my Cruise Critic Roll Call thread. They were all great, and the company was very congenial (even the transfer after an overnight flight from the US to London when people could have reasonably been rather out of sorts due to lack of sleep!) And they were all much more economical than the cruise line excursions--not to mention a van-size vehicle can get into a lot more places (and load and unload much faster) than a bus. I'd highly recommend it.

I would highly recommend solo cruising in general--I had a great time and it was very relaxing and so nice not to have to share my room/bathroom or bend my schedule due to someone else's wishes!

Edited by bottomfeeder

My only concern with cruising solo is safety. Normally when I cruise I'm sharing a room with someone, but since I'm not this time I'm a little uneasy.

For the women, have you ever had an issue with someone following you to your room or bothering you at all? And if you did, what did you do?

---------------------------------

The majority of my cruises have been solo. Others have addresed the ship safety strategies. I'll address safety at the ports: use the same sense that you use at home; if it doesn't feel right, don't go or leave. If you have to, pay for a taxi to get back to the ship. Be aware of your apparel, demeanor and alcohol consumption. I've taken both ship and independent excursions and have had no trouble. In fact, being the solo participant, I often have the opportunity to sit up front with the van driver - a definite plus. Enjoy!

I have traveled all over the world alone and just use intuition to protect myself. In my early twenties I "hopped" onto a bus going through Istanbul and went six weeks overland to New Delhi India by myself. Of course, I made friends with some of the other folks, but am used to being totally independent and just seeing all there is to see: Istanbul, Santiago, Delhi, Afghanistan and Pakistan and Iran (in the days when one could!) Bring it on. If you seem confident, almost no one will bother you. I once WAS followed late at night in London and had to "talk my way" out of an assault. Thank goodness it worked. My mother was the same way as me and ran away at 15 to join the French Underground Army in Beirut. She continued to travel the world and collect adventures, and I have passed this down to my own daughter, now 40, who also traveled the world unaccompanied. On a cruise ship it is like being in a dormitory it is usually so safe. Just say something to a staff member if you are ever concerned, and they will help!

This made me smile :)

I'm older than you, but also 4' 11" :D

Personally, I take ships excursions only - feel a lot safer that way :)

I would highly recommend solo cruising in general--I had a great time and it was very relaxing and so nice not to have to share my room/bathroom or bend my schedule due to someone else's wishes!

This sounds like absolute heaven! :) After reading numerous posts of ladies going solo, makes me wanna ditch DH (bless his heart!) and try it by myself for once! :eek: :cool:

Just kidding!...or am I??? :D

Cruisin' Mama

I am a male who has done over 6 solo cruises. Regardless of gender, I would recommend the following tips.

1. Be aware of your surroundings and listen to your gut feelings.

2. Remember, safety in numbers, I sign up for the cruise critic meet & greet and share excursions with fellow cruisers.

3. Avoid getting too drunk as it can lower your inhibitions and put you at risk. 4. If unfamiliar with a port, then use a ship based shore excursion or share with others.

Enjoy your solo cruise as I have never looked back. For me a cruise is an excellent place to unwind from life stresses, meet excellent cruise staff/officers and visit exotic ports cheaply.

My co-worker, a married female, just took a solo cruise on the Ruby Princess. Her husband is tired of cruising but won't let this stop her from getting her cruise fix so she goes alone.

Enjoy

Tony

These are all excellent suggestions. I cruised one time alone and I enjoyed doing my own thing. Join a Cruise Critic Group, because there's always other solo cruisers and people looking for others to share excursions. I've always felt safe with the cruise ship excursions. Remember to leave expensive jewelry at home and take very little money, one credit card, and your cruise card and a copy of your Passport with you. Try to book a cabin near the elevator.

Why should we assume strangers on Cruise Critic are safer than strangers who are not? I ask this in reference to this idea that, for safety, one can arrange to share shore excursions with other Cruise Critic members.

I'm not talking about frequent cruisers who already know one another off of this site, I'm talking about the idea that it is necessarily safer to tour with someone on this site than it is to either a) visit a port city alone or b) meet a passenger on board who isn't a member but who seems to share your goals and tour with him/her/them? I'm probably breaking some awful taboo by insinuating that every anonymous poster on this site isn't above board and normal, but the truth is this is an anonymous internet board with no membership requirements. It seems to me that common sense for safety (for women or men) is that you shouldn't make plans to go off alone with some stranger from the internet.

I'm hoping I'll meet some nice people at the M&M party of Cruise Critic members (and maybe share future meals, dances, or even shore trips with them), but I'm not about to make plans with anyone I haven't yet met just because they post on here.

Personally, except in some Islamic countries and maybe India, I think there's nothing particularly unsafe about a woman making her own way around an unfamiliar port city alone. Lots of women travel the world to unfamiliar places alone and, with common sense and a few basic precautions, do so safely. The days of a woman needing to be accompanied somewhere in order to be safe are gone, at least in most parts of the world.

Why should we assume strangers on Cruise Critic are safer than strangers who are not? I ask this in reference to this idea that, for safety, one can arrange to share shore excursions with other Cruise Critic members.

I'm not talking about frequent cruisers who already know one another off of this site, I'm talking about the idea that it is necessarily safer to tour with someone on this site than it is to either a) visit a port city alone or b) meet a passenger on board who isn't a member but who seems to share your goals and tour with him/her/them? I'm probably breaking some awful taboo by insinuating that every anonymous poster on this site isn't above board and normal, but the truth is this is an anonymous internet board with no membership requirements. It seems to me that common sense for safety (for women or men) is that you shouldn't make plans to go off alone with some stranger from the internet.

I'm hoping I'll meet some nice people at the M&M party of Cruise Critic members (and maybe share future meals, dances, or even shore trips with them), but I'm not about to make plans with anyone I haven't yet met just because they post on here.

True, but all of the excursions I see being planned on Roll Call threads are group outings with at least 4 people, usually more. I guess you could have extremely bad luck and make plans to go on a shore excursion with 3 psycho killers who post on Cruise Critic...but it seems to me that's extremely unlikely. Would I ever plan an excursion with 1 person only, who I had never met? Nope. But the group excursions are a different story and I think they are just fine.

We all have our own comfort level, though...so as we have all been saying, if you don't feel comfortable, don't do it. :)

Edited by bottomfeeder

Hi !

Last November my friend and I stayed 2 nights in Barcelona before our cruise. We stayed at Arc la Rambla Hotel. Not expensive, clean, good room, right on la Rambla (with a balcony) and within walking distance to many restaurants, stores, Plaza Catalunia, subway station, Barcelona Cathedral and Mercado La Boqueria.

I hope it can help :-)

Alohanuiloa

Where do you normally stay when you are in Barcelona? I would love to go back, my hotel was ok, but I would like to find a different one....not to expensive. Thanks

My only concern with cruising solo is safety. Normally when I cruise I'm sharing a room with someone, but since I'm not this time I'm a little uneasy.

For the women, have you ever had an issue with someone following you to your room or bothering you at all? And if you did, what did you do?

I have not had a problem, and I have sailed solo several times, the longest 28 days. I am older, and gray haired, so not too hot looking. I meet other solos or couples at dinner have friendly conversation. I enjoy many activities and shore excursions. Cruise ships are aware of single solos and for the most part, take good care of us. I have cruised solo with RCI, Princess and Holland America with mostly mature passengers.:)

This isn't necessarily about safety - all that's being said makes perfect sense.

I did have a cabin to myself on one cruise but was with other people, so it was nice to have the cabin to myself but still have people to hang out with.

Given the single supplement - how do you all manage to cruise so frequently?

Don't you get lonely over the course of a week? I've found that when others are in a group, they tend to 'be' with that group.

Cindy-

I keep an eye out for sales on inexpensive inside cabins. And single supplements aren't always 200%. I've had as low as 125% on Royal Caribbean. You just have to really keep an eye out for advertised sales (on their websites, from cruise line emails, their Facebook pages, etc).

Don't you get lonely over the course of a week? I've found that when others are in a group, they tend to 'be' with that group.

The answer to that one is really about you and how comfortable you are being alone. The good thing about a cruise is that there are so many activities you can do and meet people, even if they're in a group. I like to rock climb so I'm at the rock wall a lot. I always meet folks standing in line at the rock wall and usually wind up hitting it off with someone. Also, the roll calls here on Cruise Critic (as others have mentioned) are a great way to "meet" some folks in advance. I've done excursions, had breakfast/lunch/dinner, met for cocktails, met for dancing, etc, with people I've met both of the above ways... and never felt unsafe during any of it. I also like finding a quiet spot and spending time alone to recharge my batteries. So alone time doesn't necessarily mean "lonely" to me. Truly, I think it would be hard to feel lonely on a cruise ship. Find some fun activity that you enjoy and strike up a conversation with someone sitting nearby.

Just my 2 cents-

Tracy

This isn't necessarily about safety - all that's being said makes perfect sense.

I did have a cabin to myself on one cruise but was with other people, so it was nice to have the cabin to myself but still have people to hang out with.

Hi Cindy,:) I think we met on Summit a couple of years ago.

I save my money and it is just me......I have very low expenses and

have been working for the same company for over 22 years and I use

my vacation time to cruise.

As for being lonely? Nope, not me. I love to cruise solo and usually meet

very nice people on board and I am also very comfortable with my

own company.:)

I have been cruising solo for almost 10 years now and LOVE IT:D

Edited by Lois R

Been on Epic solo this October then travelled around Spain for a week via train on my own. Always aware of my surroundings as I would be at home but never once felt unsafe on the ship. I am seperated but wear my wedding ring when on my own (:eek:) - just do as you would normally and have a fab time :)

I'm going on my fourth and fifth solo cruises soon. For some reason, I'm comfortable on a cruise ship, but fear I might not enjoy toying on land, unless with a tour group, and rarely do I see zero or low single supplements. Could you advise me as to how to plan a Solo land vacation?

I'm going on my fourth and fifth solo cruises soon. For some reason, I'm comfortable on a cruise ship, but fear I might not enjoy toying on land, unless with a tour group, and rarely do I see zero or low single supplements. Could you advise me as to how to plan a Solo land vacation?

If you don't require a 5* resort, you may want to check out Exodus and Explore (UK based companies) or Intrepid (Australian)- They do terrific small group adventure or adventure light holidays all around the world at pretty reasonable prices. With a max of 14 people they are far from the traditional bus tour and as they have no single supplement, there are generally few couples- I've gotten to meet interesting people of all ages from all over the world and highly recommend it.

Jami

I travel/cruise mostly solo. When I do land trips its mostly with a tour group (I like 2 over 50 groups--Elderhostel and Grand Circle) and I also do trips related to my interests and hobbies (writing/spiritual retreats, etc.). Years ago I used to enjoy long train trips but now I just do short trips because the atmosphere, with so many people plugged into technology, reminds me too much of my office.

I cruise mostly over the Christmas holidays. I try to do 10+ day cruises so I won't be overwhelmed with families and children. I've been lucky, especially on HAL, to meet others to chat with over the course of the cruise. On my last HAL cruise I had good luck with their anytime dining.

I always felt safe on all my cruises. And I always use the dead bolt on my cruise room door.

A part of travelling/cruising on one's own is learning to be comfortable with yourself. Each trip is its own journey--some trips I've had more alone times then others. I always bring "work projects" along with me so that I'll have things to do if I'm mostly on my own over the course of the cruise.

I think cruising is a great way for a solo to begin to travel of their own. Faith

Edited by Faith77

Thank you all for all the great posts! I am going on my second cruise next month, 1st x solo, and cannot wait, a bit nervous about cruising alone but have been traveling alone for years (I find it is easier as I get older...not sure why...maybe I'm getting a bit cranky in my old age...:D). Anyway, have checked out some posts/forums for my cruise & since it is only 6 nights the cruise line does not sponsor a meet & mingle but the forum group is already planning a get-to-gether so I think I will start there.

I am a bit worried (maybe too strong a word) about the shore excursions..not sure I want to use the ship sponsored ones, would like to be a bit more independent but that may not be too smart traveling alone. I just want a nice beach chair and some warm sand.

Cannot wait to go next month, am so envious of all you big time cruisers,maybe I can catch up!

Amy

Thank you all for all the great posts! I am going on my second cruise next month, 1st x solo, and cannot wait, a bit nervous about cruising alone but have been traveling alone for years (I find it is easier as I get older...not sure why...maybe I'm getting a bit cranky in my old age...:D). Anyway, have checked out some posts/forums for my cruise & since it is only 6 nights the cruise line does not sponsor a meet & mingle but the forum group is already planning a get-to-gether so I think I will start there.

I am a bit worried (maybe too strong a word) about the shore excursions..not sure I want to use the ship sponsored ones, would like to be a bit more independent but that may not be too smart traveling alone. I just want a nice beach chair and some warm sand.

Cannot wait to go next month, am so envious of all you big time cruisers,maybe I can catch up!

Amy

Amy, you sound like you are ready:D..and since you are already

chatting on the roll call? See if anyone is doing private tours and

if you can join in:D

After my husband died, I had some real issues about whether or not I could take another cruise.. alone .. The first cruise I took with a group ended up not quite how I had planned. oh well, live and learn

the next cruise I took, I started talking with folks on Cruise Critic and what a difference!! We all shared a table at dinner, I went on one tour with another couple, and we all had a blast. We have kept in contact with one another and have a blog still going on CC. This was a Granduer repositioning cruise out of New Orleans.

as for scary people on the ships that may or may not post here on CC, if you are brave enough to post your picture, that goes a long way to reduce fears about meeting strangers.

Lois and I were on our last cruise together, the 3 nighter on Reflection, but unfortunately even though we were right down the hall from each other our paths did not cross!! But based on her review and mine we each had a great time!!

I am scheduled on a 12 nighter in April, yes another repositioning and am so looking forward to meeting some of the folks from CC.

I have found as I have now been travelling solo for some years, that I do not like over organizing the groups, although some of the activities are fun. And like so many on board here, your safety is really up to you.

If you would not do something at home, why would you do it on a cruise ship? And the officers, staff, everyone on board will help you back to your cabin if you need assistance.

I love roaming the ship early morning in search of that just made pot of coffee!! (note, do not look for good coffee on Princess,its not there ) :D

I have tried the "escorted cruises" thru a company that starts with V and ends with Go, can I say that? I do not need hosts to entertain me,and sorry your two or 3 receptions.. eh.. I did meet a few folks and hadfun but I am solo, probably will be for life, although Trainman gives me hope!! haha so no more paying more for the same cruise just to have some hosts.

any way, a cruise is a great way to travel, and when you look, you can find some bargains!! Happy sails to all

K

i've done 2 solo cruises and have another one in 6 weeks. I used to cruise with my ex, and while I do get a little lonely sometimes, overall I love being on my own and being able to do what I want, when I want. It's very freeing. I've never felt unsafe. I am going to do an excursion on this cruise, and I'm a little anxious about taking the taxi in port, but I think it will be fine--again, just common sense. I never tell people I'm on my own, as I also don't think its their business. I think cruises are a perfect "solo" trip for women.