Any experience carrying drone onboard?

Meanee

Aside from the Princess stricture, one has to consider island laws. How embarrassing would it be to miss the ship explaining an illegal drone flight to authorities.

http://www.bonaireinternationalairport.com/2017/02/think-twice-before-packing-your-drone-for-bonaire/

Not just Bonaire. It is illegal to fly a drone in Bermuda without a Government license.

In looking at the list of prohibited items I came across this:

• Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), Ham radios, transformers, lasers, laser pointers, electric extension cords with surge protectors*.

Back on the LA, Hawaii, Samoa, Tahiti run I made arrangements to do some star gazing on board. Soon there were many from our Roll Call that wanted to join in. Long story short, after a few emails to Princess, I was able to obtain permission to bring along my Green Laser pointer, and get an area where they turned the lights off for us. In the end we wound up having many people on many nights, including staff and other passengers that came up for some "Stars under the Stars". The laser pointer was indispensable.

I also know that there are "Ham Radio Expeditions" on cruise ships, but again, with permission. So it is possible to get permission, but do so in writing.

Aside from the Princess stricture, one has to consider island laws. How embarrassing would it be to miss the ship explaining an illegal drone flight to authorities.

http://www.bonaireinternationalairport.com/2017/02/think-twice-before-packing-your-drone-for-bonaire/

My original post said "Aruba and Curacao allow it, Bonaire does not" so yeah, I made sure I checked every island about the drone laws.

I'm with the skeet shooters. I don't want your drone on my ship. Leave it at home.

Did you even bother reading a post? I know it's not allowed to fly them on the ship and I do not intend to. My original idea is to have it follow me on a bike trip.

If Princess allows it, the island allows it, and your fellow expedition-takers are okay with it, then go for it. Just out of courtesy, I would check with people in your group (if there are any, and you’re not going solo.) Otherwise, have a good time.

Princess has some strange policies, do they think people will be hovering outside other peoples staterooms? It's just a drone, part of every day life in 2017. The sound of any drone is usually muffled out with people filming on the ground or using their cell phones. I get it, we want to sell dvd's 2 people that could easily do it themselves. We want to use Uber instead of an actual taxi?

Princess has some strange policies, do they think people will be hovering outside other peoples staterooms? It's just a drone, part of every day life in 2017. The sound of any drone is usually muffled out with people filming on the ground or using their cell phones. I get it, we want to sell dvd's 2 people that could easily do it themselves. We want to use Uber instead of an actual taxi?

Just a hunch but something tells me that the photography crew is already using them for the Panama canal trips. If they're not is because the authorities won't allow it.

I guess from now on you can forget taking any photo's of yourself anywhere.

Just Photoshop yourself onto the available pictures of all the tourist spots.

This will save the cost of purchasing the cruise.

I don't understand the negative comments from some folks here.

The poster said he was going to follow the rules, and not use it on the ship.

Simply following the rules and not annoying me puts him in the top 5%

of the passengers on board.

Why would anyone care what he brings onboard and keeps in his cabin?

There was another poster who wanted to bring a sewing machine.

Not my thing, but knock yourself out.

Actually probably better for me -- if everyone stayed in their cabins with

their sewing machines, the public areas would be a lot less crowded.

For the poster -- I would try and get approval from princess in advance.

Even if you bring the drone onboard during embarcation, it's possible

you would be hassled returning from a port.

Just a hunch but something tells me that the photography crew is already using them for the Panama canal trips. If they're not is because the authorities won't allow it.

It's probably a good hunch to be honest. There are certainly places where they are banned for use, but confiscated?

It's probably a good hunch to be honest. There are certainly places where they are banned for use, but confiscated?

After watching numerous videos on YouTube about all the problems encountered in different countries I'm not sure I would chance bringing it along. Seems like it's more trouble than it's worth. :(

Hey all!

I am on December 1st sailing on Crown Princess to South Caribbean. I have a small drone that I would like to take with me. Aruba and Curacao allow it, Bonaire does not. Drone is small enough, when folded, to fit in a jacket pocket.

I know that drones are prohibited to be flown on a ship and I am not going to fly it there. Idea is to fly it at port of call, around some landmarks.

Was anyone successful bringing one without getting hassled by security? I'd rather not lose it.

Ha - I swear, when people hear the word "drone," their mind hears "gun" or "hand grenade." But of course in the early 1900s there was a lot of resistance for those evil horseless carriages too...

In any event, should you get past all the negativity and red tape with your evil drone, please remember to provide us a link to the videos you take so we might enjoy too! :)

There are a few good video's of different ships leaving Ft Lauderdale on YouTube.

There's a guy on YouTube who chases cruise ships leaving Port Everglades with his DJI Phantom 4. While it sounds fun and all, I can't say it's a good idea. Leaving port is sensitive time. Who knows what sensor you may be interfering with, or if coast guard chase boats may get a little bit too nervous.

Ha - I swear, when people hear the word "drone," their mind hears "gun" or "hand grenade." But of course in the early 1900s there was a lot of resistance for those evil horseless carriages too...

In any event, should you get past all the negativity and red tape with your evil drone, please remember to provide us a link to the videos you take so we might enjoy too! :)

Thanks! I love the whole "Oh I wish I could use it for target practice" response. Considering that people are arrested and charged for doing just that. And some do not understand that it's a great tool to take some awesome shots that are impossible otherwise.

I put drones at public events and places in the same category with cell phones, camera selfie sticks and the latest annoyance, comfort dogs. Join the club, see who can be the most annoying.

Sounds like you get annoyed easily.

Are those drones flying around you every day?

How about those comfort dogs?

I must lead a sheltered life since I've only seen one in my life flying around- - and that was only for 2 minutes.

Where are all these drones? :confused:

Sounds like you get annoyed easily.

Are those drones flying around you every day?

How about those comfort dogs?

I must lead a sheltered life since I've only seen one in my life flying around- - and that was only for 2 minutes.

Where are all these drones? :confused:

Re "comfort dogs" - I am going to get a "comfort lion" and train it to eat "comfort dogs".

DON