Thoughts on Ruby Princess Please

Cruiser933

I am considering Ruby Princess for a multi-generational California Coastal cruise. It would be DH and I (mid-50's and have cruised NCL and Carnival), MIL (mid-80's, has cruised before), and DD (late 20's, never cruised before). Is there a good variety of entertainment and activities on Ruby Princess for all different age groups? Any suggestions for things we need to try or tips for differences between the lines? I am looking more for need to know differences, not arguments over who has better food or entertainment. For example, Carnival puts the luggage tags in your room the night before you disembark while NCL has you pick them up at guest services. Thanks!

We cruised twice with our oldest son who was, at the time, in his mid to late 30's. He was OK on the 10 day Alaska round trip from SF but bored on the 15 day Hawaii trip. He found a few - a very few - people in similar age groups. Not a lot of young people.The longer the cruise the older the demographic - generally. On a California Coastal it will be a short cruise and far more likely to attract some younger people. It's impossible to know who will book your particular cruise.

Princess allows you to bring water and soda aboard (you can put a baggage tag on it and check with your luggage) as well as a bottle of wine per adult (hand carry aboard)— NCL does not allow you to bring any beverages. So if that matters to you, it’s a point to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do like being able to bring beverages on. Are bottles okay or is it cans only like Carnival?

I am more concerned with whether the bands and shows have reasonably current music than whether she will find people to hang out with.

I also have a question on oceanview cabins on deck 8. There are several midship between the two sections of lifeboats. Most of these are categorized as obstructed view. Since they aren't by the lifeboats, what is obstructing the view and how obstructed are they?

Thanks!

I do like being able to bring beverages on. Are bottles okay or is it cans only like Carnival?

I am more concerned with whether the bands and shows have reasonably current music than whether she will find people to hang out with.

I also have a question on oceanview cabins on deck 8. There are several midship between the two sections of lifeboats. Most of these are categorized as obstructed view. Since they aren't by the lifeboats, what is obstructing the view and how obstructed are they?

Thanks!

Check the actual views from the cabins on renmar's site located HERE

Just select the cabin range you are interested in and voila! I love renmar's site. It's so incredibly helpful.

Thanks!

Bottles should be fine, as each person over the age of 21 is allowed to bring on a bottle of wine or champagne. I would keep the bottles in my carry-on though, otherwise they could get broken.

I'm in my 50's and I think some of the music is out-dated, but Princess does try and play some current music too. She should find something she likes. There's also the outdoor movie theater. If the shows don't interest her, it's fun to sit up on the deck at night and watch movies.

California coastal cruise has 4 fun port days from the San Pedro Port- San Francisco, Monterrey (or Santa Barbara), San Diego, and of course Ensenada, Mexico. Thus, I believe it is a great cruise for a multi generational group. Only 2 sea days and weather is mild to great any time of year (usually). That would be the cruise I'd take my kids and grandbaby if it ever works out for us all at the same time...

Check the actual views from the cabins on renmar's site located HERE

Just select the cabin range you are interested in and voila! I love renmar's site. It's so incredibly helpful.

Yes that is a great site to check out obstructed cabins! Hey Thrak, how can you not be elite by now??? Hopefully soon?

We were on the Ruby over thanksgiving week and there were lots of families. There were lots of fun game shows and activities going all the time. It was fun watching the kids get into the games. We really enjoyed the Ruby. We’ve only cruised RCCL and Princess. I prefer Princess for sure. The service is great and so is the food.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am considering Ruby Princess for a multi-generational California Coastal cruise. It would be DH and I (mid-50's and have cruised NCL and Carnival), MIL (mid-80's, has cruised before), and DD (late 20's, never cruised before). Is there a good variety of entertainment and activities on Ruby Princess for all different age groups?

Yes, there will be shows in the theater and live music in most lounges. Watch for daytime activities that are really sales promotions. There will be a late night DJ in Skywalkers. There are also all the standard cruise activities, trivia, game shows, maybe pool side activities, deck parties if warm enough, theme parties, etc.

Any suggestions for things we need to try or tips for differences between the lines? I am looking more for need to know differences, not arguments over who has better food or entertainment.

Princess has formal nights. Formal is for the DR. No shorts in the DR in the evenings. Other locations are smart casual or casual.

Each passenger over 21 may carry on 1 x 750ml bottle of wine at no charge. This bottle is for use in your cabin(s). If you bring the bottle to a public area you will be charged a $15 corkage fee. Many pour the wine into a glass and carry that. You can carry or bring on as much non-alcoholic beverage as you like. Every cabin has a fridge.

You will find no charge dining and food in the DR's, International Cafe, Horizon Ct. Buffet, on deck pizza and grill, and room service. There is no charge for room service, but it is customary to provide a tip. The food is good in the DR's and other locations. No need to book specialty dining to get a good meal. The Crown Grill is nice if you like steak. Not a fan of SHARE. Many enjoy the Crab Shack experience.

For example, Carnival puts the luggage tags in your room the night before you disembark while NCL has you pick them up at guest services.

During the voyage you will receive a disembark questionnaire in your cabin. You select the time slot that fits your needs. A day or two before disembarkation you will receive your luggage tags and instructions on where to wait. On disembarkation day you are asked to be out of your cabin by 8am and wait in your designated location, a DR or Lounge. There are no ship wide disembarkation announcements. If you don't like what you got just go to Passenger Services.

Thanks!

See above