Dec 3 Mexico from LAX - Hotel Recommendations?

walkerk14

Hi All!

We are flying into LAX around 9 PM on Friday night, for our Saturday cruise to Mexico! Any recommendations for a hotel? Trying to decide if we should stay near the airport Friday night, or head towards Long Beach and be closer to the Cruise Terminal. Prices are more or less similar.

Anyone have luck with any hotels having free shuttles to the Cruise Terminal?

THANKS!

Hi All!

We are flying into LAX around 9 PM on Friday night, for our Saturday cruise to Mexico! Any recommendations for a hotel? Trying to decide if we should stay near the airport Friday night, or head towards Long Beach and be closer to the Cruise Terminal. Prices are more or less similar.

Anyone have luck with any hotels having free shuttles to the Cruise Terminal?

THANKS!

San Pedro, Port of Los Angeles World Cruise Terminal not Long Beach (7 miles apart) has the Doubltree and Crown Plaza.

No free shuttles.......

Supershuttle/Prime Time Shuttle $17pp

Cab approx. $60

Edited by Colo Cruiser

As Colo Cruiser posted, Princess cruises depart from San Pedro, not Long Beach. I would travel to San Pedro after arrival and stay at the Double Tree or Crown Plaza overnight. In the morning you will have a short shuttle ride to the pier so you can relax and have breakfast before you leave for the pier.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I also agree that you should stay the one night in San Pedro. In addition to the Crown Plaza one block from S. Harbor Blvd., The Double Tree is a mile or two down by the Marina. If you are looking to save a little money for an overnight stay, the Sunrise Hotel is right on S. Harbor Blvd. literally within walking distance to the pier. All these hotels have free shuttles to the ship. The Sunrise has a limited continental breakfast, and a diner like restaurant next door.

I'll be the contrarian and say stay at the airport. A 9:00pm arrival means that you won't be in San Pedro until 11:00 at the earliest if you have a checked bag. If you're coming in from the East Coast or another later time zone, that's a really long night. The Westin LAX is where we stay if we have an early morning flight (we're locals). It's a nice hotel, reasonably priced, and the Daily Grill restaurant in the hotel is very good. We've never had breakfast there since we're always heading out before they open, but dinners are terrific.

They have a free shuttle from the airport, about a 10 minute ride depending on the arrival terminal, and then it's easy to catch a cab, Uber or towncar to the port in the morning.

On a recent cruise we stayed at the Holiday Inn in San Pedro, found it difficult to get to the pier. No shuttle, and taxies were all busy. We wound up calling Uber.

You wouldn't want to walk in that part of town.

Edited by bigchid

On a recent cruise we stayed at the Holiday Inn in San Pedro, found it difficult to get to the pier. No shuttle, and taxies were all busy. We wound up calling Uber.

You wouldn't want to walk in that part of town.

The Double Tree definitely has a shuttle to the pier. Haven't stayed at the Crowne Plaza but I am almost positive that they also have a shuttle. Traffic to San Pedro should be significantly better at around 10:00 p.m. when you would be leaving LAX. I want my Embarkation day to be relaxed and staying in San Pedro you can sleep later, still have time for breakfast and then take the short shuttle to the pier. IMHO, the only way to go.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with those who suggest staying at the CP or DT in San Pedro. At that time of night, traffic should be light as opposed to the next morning (even on a weekend). Probably even taking supershuttle should be easily with less passengers.

Those two hotels will shuttle you to the port. You can sleep in until mid-morning (when you check in, make sure to get on whatever list there is to get the shuttle).

Or more romantic stay at the queen Mary in long Beach then take a cab over to your cruise in san Pedro!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

We had dinner on the Queen Mary and looked at the cabins. We'll opt for the Double Tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by IECalCruiser

We just got back from our cruise, and stayed at Crowne Plaza.

Last time we stayed at the Best Western Plus, and after comparing them, the Best Western was much nicer.

Crowne plaza tried to charge me for 3 people even though it was only 2 of us. They fixed it after I went to the front desk, but if I hadn't noticed, we would have paid an extra $40.

The breakfast buffet was one of the most terrible ones I have ever been to. The whole thing is just super ineffecient.

The shuttle took so long we rented an uber instead. But it was very prompt on the way back at least, which is more than we could say for the "valet" parking. The guy working actually could not figure out what key was for my husbands car, held out 3 keys for ford focus's and asked him which one was his, while claiming they "double booked" numbers. Uhh... what?

Also, a huge thing to me, was that the elevators do not require your hotel key to run. So basically ANYONE can use them which makes it much less secure. The stairwells were scary.

The room was decent, comfy bed. But they gave us two queens when we asked for a king.

All in all, the Best Western was way better. That place had a prompt shuttle, and actually called a taxi for us when we got back earlier than expected on our cruise. The buffet was normal and had a good selection. Room was nice and what we had reserved. They did not have "valet" parking, but at least the elevators and stairwells were actually secure and the staff was much nicer as well.

Obviously both places work just fine for a place to sleep before your cruise, but just wanted to give my impressions since we literally just got back!

We have stayed at Crown Plaza and Doubletree (it was another brand at the time). Have also stayed at the airport Marriott.

I preferred Doubletree to Crown Plaza.

I do get if you fly in the night before and it is late, staying at the airport is easy.