Queen Victoria Norovirus??

LEESRE

Seen on other web sites that Queen Victoria has been delayed in Fort Lauderdale for a deep clean due to possible Norovirus.

Is anyone on board at the moment and tell us how bad this is.

Hope they get this sorted soon.

Wish people would use the hand sanitizers and wah their hands more often, how many times do you see people in the toilets not washing their hands.

Here's a link to the report on the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) web site. The outbreak on QV reached the threshold of 3% or more of passengers or crew reporting symptoms to be posted on the CDC web site.

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2018/Queen_Victoria_2-21.html

Key statistics from this report:

Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 65 of 1,901 (3.42%)

Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 9 of 968 (0.93%)

Regards, John

Personally, I believe those hand sanitizers are a contributing factor to the norovirus outbreaks across the World in all cruiselines. It is my understanding that these alcohol based sanitisers only eliminate bacteria and not viruses. People are falsely led to believe that if they use these sanitisers that they are then protected. Only washing of hands regularly and especially before eating will protect you from norovirus. (or chlorine based sanitisers which people do not like to use)

Personally, I believe those hand sanitizers are a contributing factor to the norovirus outbreaks across the World in all cruiselines. It is my understanding that these alcohol based sanitisers only eliminate bacteria and not viruses. People are falsely led to believe that if they use these sanitisers that they are then protected. Only washing of hands regularly and especially before eating will protect you from norovirus. (or chlorine based sanitisers which people do not like to use)

I understand that Hand Sanitisers are not meant to stop Noro virus but to assist with the prevention together with hand washing.

The Purell that is used by Cunard and other cruise lines has VF481™ stamped on the bottle.

This is different to the alcohol based Purell product usually available at the chemists.

Also some cruise lines use foam, that does also protect against Norovirus. I think the Brand used is Byotrol.

One Brand is EcoHydra available from Boots here in the UK.

•EcoHydra's Instant Hand Sanitiser is kind to the skin and maintains the natural pH to keep skin supple and hygienic – no more dishpan hands!

•Alcohol-free formula is up to 1000x more effective at killing germs than the typical high street product

•Effective against Norovirus

•Dries quickly without leaving a sticky residue

•Suitable for everyone, including children and those with an intolerance to alcohol

Gojo (the maker of Purell) claims clinical studies show VF481 has some effectiveness against norovirus. Clinical testing against norovirus is complicated by the fact that norovirus can't be cultured in the lab so testing is conducted against a surrogate with supposedly similar characteristics.

The quantity of Purell dispensed by attendants and the hand washing time resulting from it are probably inadequate for the level of sanitization claimed by Gojo, though. This is the reason that I use the hand washing sinks with soap and water at the entrances to Kings Court on QM2 and wish they were more common in cruise ship buffets.

We were on board until Fort Lauderdale. We had been under the sanitization protocol (correct name?) for a week or so before getting to Florida.

They saran wrapped the lido and everything had to be dished out to you by the staff. There was also staff at the drink dispensers. Basically anything that could be touched by someone, put down and then touched by another person was eliminated.

I don't believe the % of passengers got above 3.5% of the total population and that was the total from Santiago (the last 'beginning' of a segment).

Initially there were a few sick and the Captain told people to call the medical staff if they were experiencing symptoms and the next day the % jumped to the point they had to invoke the sanitary methods.

I felt bad for the staff ,they had to put in a lot of extra hours.

We were told there would be extra cleaning done while in Fort Lauderdale and it would take about 2 hours. The in transit guests would have to stay off the ship longer then usual. I don't believe they expected to leave late.

Seen on other web sites that Queen Victoria has been delayed in Fort Lauderdale for a deep clean due to possible Norovirus.

Is anyone on board at the moment and tell us how bad this is.

Hope they get this sorted soon.

Wish people would use the hand sanitizers and wah their hands more often, how many times do you see people in the toilets not washing their hands.

There are more people than you would think to not wash their hands after using the toilet.😠😠