We just cancelled a sailing on the Royal to try HAL's newest ship instead

CineGraphic

We booked our January 5th sailing on the Royal just over a year ago, but today I saw some very low pricing on HAL's Nieuw Statendam which leaves a day later, so I thought we'd finally give HAL a try. Although most ports are different, we stop at Grand Cayman which was the only port we really wanted to see again anyway. Plus, we'll be able to compare HAL's Half Moon Cay to Princess Cay. Even after giving up free grats and obc on our Royal sailing, we are saving money, so it was an easy decision to make. Our TA agreed, knowing that we've already sailed the Royal and the Regal.

Now, all we have to do, is learn everything there is to know about HAL....we're so used to Princess and how they do things!

We too have a deposit to try the HAL new-build, for the itinerary E. MED, and the brand new ship.

I have been doing a lot of reading and youtube.

We are SO looking forward to finally sail on the Regal in the Caribbean.

Would not trade that for HAL.

But, yes, HMC looks wonderful!

And since you have sailed Princess and would seen new ports, as well as GC, sounds like a good change-up for you!!!

I will be waiting to hear your detailed review and comparison when return!

We've enjoyed our cruises on HAL ships. Our latest one was a little over a year ago on the Zuiderdam to the Panama Canal. It was more than $400 cheaper per person over the Princess ship doing a similar itinerary at the same time. Saving $800 is enough to make me give up my Princess perks.

from 2001 to 2006 we only travelled on HAL and enjoyed it. But shortly after Carnival purchased HAL we noticed majored differences that affected our enjoyment. Since 06 we only travel on Princess.

Friends who do both have decided to not continue on HAL. According to them there is no staff for the activities so no real activities on board. One change I know of it seems they use to have a pastry chef on board who made the cakes, etc. fresh and someone who made ice cream as well. I have been informed that it all comes frozen from somewhere in port now.

I hope things have changed once more for the better and that everyone travelling on HAL has a wonderful trip. We did 2 transatlantics with them and loved it. We are 3 star tier and have over 11 trips with them.:):)

from 2001 to 2006 we only travelled on HAL and enjoyed it. But shortly after Carnival purchased HAL we noticed majored differences that affected our enjoyment. Since 06 we only travel on Princess.

Carnival Corp purchased Holland in 1989.

Carnival Corp purchased Princess in 2003.

It’s fun to try new things. And it is fun to save money!!!

One of my absolute best cruises was on HAL and my least favorite cruise was on HAL (still better than staying at home).

It will be great to hear your perspective on the two cruise lines!:)

Bon voyage!

Personally, I avoid maiden voyages just like I avoid the last cruise before drydock, and the first one after.

This will be the 8th sailing, so hopefully all the bugs will be worked out.

Sent from my iPhone while I probably should be working.

This will be the 8th sailing, so hopefully all the bugs will be worked out.

Sent from my iPhone while I probably should be working.

You're not as dumb as I often sound. :halo:

Everyone I know that has been there, raves about HMC. They say the sand is so much softer and the facilities are better.

One thing I like about HAL's ships is that you get a sofa in the regular balcony cabins. I don't like the balcony door though. If you like to keep your door open, bring a 1" thick 8" (or was it 9"? Someone on the HAL board will know for sure) long wooden dowel rod to prop it open.

Variety is the spice of life. Go for it! (y)