Misinformation and Clarifications

cr8tiv1

I thought I would start a thread that added clarification to some ideas, concepts, information, etc that others could chime in and add their thoughts.

Mini-Suites: A slightly larger balcony cabin with 2 televisions, a bathtub, and a sofa. Not to be confused with any suite perks (none come with this stateroom). Some mini-suites come with club class dining...but that's all.

Upgrade: A "free" move from one stateroom category to another.

Upsell: An offer to move from one stateroom to a higher category for a price $$$$.

Priority Boarding: In general terms (with exceptions) you may all check in together.

In Transit passengers (those doing back to back cruises)

BVE (Bon Voyage Experience passengers)

Suite and Elite Passengers

Platinum

General boarding

Those cruising in your cabin will be able to board with you. All others in your party will have their own group. You may delay your boarding to join them. Ports seem to vary by exceptions.

Please feel free to add your own terminology and definitions. This is by no means the end all.

Priority Boarding: In general terms (with exceptions) you may all check in together.

In Transit passengers (those doing back to back cruises)

BVE (Bon Voyage Experience passengers)

Suite and Elite Passengers

Platinum

General boarding

Those cruising in your cabin will be able to board with you. All others in your party will have their own group. You may delay your boarding to join them. Ports seem to vary by exceptions

There is no such benefit as priority boarding. The term Princess uses is PREFERRED CHECK-IN.

Preferred Check-In

When you arrive at the port, don’t wait in line. You, along with your family or guests that are traveling with you in the same stateroom will be invited to use the Preferred Check-In desk to help expedite your embarkation.

....which applies to Suite, Platinum, Elite, and Club Class Mini Suite guests only. If such guests arrive once check in has started but before boarding has they will be assigned the boarding group number that corresponds with their status. Other than actual cabinmates their companions who have not earned such status will not--even if they were able to glom onto the Preferred Check-In line with their friends (in contravention of Princess policy).

Please feel free to add your own terminology and definitions.

Shouldn't the point be to add the correct terminology and definitions as supplied by Princess? :confused:

Edited by fishywood

Priority boarding is the same to me as preferred check-in. After I do my preferred check-in, then I am able to board with priority status.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Princess counts the number of days or cruise credits (not the number of cruises) to determine your Captains Circle status. Receive two credits for sailing in a full suite (S# category) or sailing as a single. Receive three credits for sailing as a single in a suite, otherwise it is one credit per cruise. Many uninformed passengers just say it is number of cruises which is not always correct.

There is no such benefit as priority boarding. The term Princess uses is PREFERRED CHECK-IN.

....which applies to Suite, Platinum, Elite, and Club Class Mini Suite guests only. If such guests arrive once check in has started but before boarding has they will be assigned the boarding group number that corresponds with their status. Other than actual cabinmates their companions who have not earned such status will not--even if they were able to glom onto the Preferred Check-In line with their friends (in contravention of Princess policy).

Shouldn't the point be to add the correct terminology and definitions as supplied by Princess? :confused:

We're Platinum and have cruised with 1st timers a couple of times from Southampton and they have always been allowed to check in and board with us.

Disclaimer: I do not have all the answers and defer* to CC members with more expertise and experience than I. Thank you for adding to the list. Thank you for the corrections and clarifications. And sometimes, Princess' verbiage is not always clear and understandable.

* https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/defer%20to

Define defer to: to allow (someone else) to decide or choose something

Future more, according the Princess' Suite website (http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships/PrincessSuite_eFlyer.pdf?utm_source=affiliate&utm_medium=display&utm_campaign=sales:473347), they use the words:

"VIP priority embarkation & disembarkation at beginning and end of cruise".

But I won't split hairs with this one.

Edited by cr8tiv1

PRIORITY TENDERING

This means you can join the END of the tender line and board instead of getting a card but it does not mean you can push to the front of the line

It works differently on different ships. Some ships you have to report to the tender ticket area where you are placed in line for the next tender. This is the method we have experienced the last few years on the Royal and Crown. On other ships you report to the pontoon and join the end of the line as stated above.

PRIORITY TENDERING

This means you can join the END of the tender line and board instead of getting a card but it does not mean you can push to the front of the line

We've always found that they include us at the end of the next group to board the tenders, not at the end of the whole group waiting. There could be 300 - 400 people waiting in the DR and that would mean a big wait for priority boarding people.

I think the use of certain abbreviations can be detrimental to the initial understanding of the post----especially for those new to Cruise Critic. For example: "CC" -----does that mean Cruise Critic or Club Class or Credit Card. I know that you can usually figure it out from the context of the entire post as you read it but if the abbreviation is used in the title or opening line of a post it could cause confusion. Using abbreviations for the name of ships has caused confusion also. For example: CB for Caribbean Princess. Another one that could be confusing is CD. That could be about the Cruise Director or about a compact disk.

After all, if we have time to be reading and posting on these forums, don't we have time to spell out the words so everyone will understand what is meant? (Laughing Out Loud)

I think the use of certain abbreviations can be detrimental to the initial understanding of the post----especially for those new to Cruise Critic. For example: "CC" -----does that mean Cruise Critic or Club Class or Credit Card. I know that you can usually figure it out from the context of the entire post as you read it but if the abbreviation is used in the title or opening line of a post it could cause confusion. Using abbreviations for the name of ships has caused confusion also. For example: CB for Caribbean Princess. Another one that could be confusing is CD. That could be about the Cruise Director or about a compact disk.

After all, if we have time to be reading and posting on these forums, don't we have time to spell out the words so everyone will understand what is meant? (Laughing Out Loud)

One of the main reasons that abbreviations are confusing is that people use the wrong ones! If one wants to use the short designation for a ship then it should be the correct designation. It is simple to get the right one by going to the Princess site and clicking on any ship. The proper designation is part of the URL. I do use ship abbreviations but but not always as I do understand that many won't know those designations. I seem to be in the minority but really can't bring myself to refer to my wife as DW. I don't use any of the "Dx" notations. I do note that most folks here do use them though. It's just a personal thing that I don't care for them.

One of the main reasons that abbreviations are confusing is that people use the wrong ones! If one wants to use the short designation for a ship then it should be the correct designation. It is simple to get the right one by going to the Princess site and clicking on any ship. The proper designation is part of the URL. I do use ship abbreviations but but not always as I do understand that many won't know those designations. I seem to be in the minority but really can't bring myself to refer to my wife as DW. I don't use any of the "Dx" notations. I do note that most folks here do use them though. It's just a personal thing that I don't care for them.

As more people use texting, twitter, etc. as their default means of communications, coherent writing will continue it's downward spiral with abbreviations in place of real words, non-existent punctuation, and even capitalization too much of a bother. Sad!

As more people use texting, twitter, etc. as their default means of communications, coherent writing will continue it's downward spiral with abbreviations in place of real words, non-existent punctuation, and even capitalization too much of a bother. Sad!

Amen...had to laugh at the "Sad!" :evilsmile:

I think back a few years ago when you had a data plan with your wireless smartphone; unless you had unlimited data, people started to use abbreviations; so as to not use all their data. Some companies even gave tips on how to shorten sentences so you would not use up all your data. Fast forward to 2017, people have gotten so comfortable using the shortcuts that they continue to do so in everything they write. Me included.

I think the use of certain abbreviations can be detrimental to the initial understanding of the post----especially for those new to Cruise Critic. For example: "CC" -----does that mean Cruise Critic or Club Class or Credit Card.

Given how entrenched this site is in using CC as an abbreviation for Cruise Critic, Club Class should be something else such as CLCL. Credit card can probably still be cc but should always be typed out in lower case.

Given how entrenched this site is in using CC as an abbreviation for Cruise Critic, Club Class should be something else such as CLCL. Credit card can probably still be cc but should always be typed out in lower case.

How about the CC member who is also a Celebrity CC member and also a Princess CC member had used their CC to purchase a CC in CC ordering a CC on the rocks to enjoy. OR

How about the Cruise Critic member who is also a Celebrity Captain's Club member and also a Princess Captain's Circle member had used their Credit Card to purchase a Caribbean Cruise in Club Class ordering a Canadian Club on the rocks to enjoy.

thanks, I never noticed that before! Very helpful. :D