Carnival vs other Cruise Lines

gaillyn518

""I'd rank Carnival only one step above HAL with the main shows"

You mean HAL has the worst shows? What about Costa and MSC shows?

Haven't done Costa, but the MSC Divina shows were rather good. Granted this is their "Americanized" ship so it's not the same entertainment as you would get on their other ones. I will assume Seaside will generally be the same quality.

In my opinion, Howl at the Moon on NCL cannot be compared to Carnival's piano bar, or any other cruise lines' piano bar. At Howl at the Moon (at least, this is the way it is on Escape), you sit on hard wood chairs that are lined up in rows facing the stage. It's set up to be more of a show than a piano lounge.

I agree with the entertainment bit though. The shows on Escape blew away what I saw on Carnival. In fact, I'd rank Carnival only one step above HAL with the main shows.

You're correct about Howl at the Moon not being comparable to other piano bars such as those on Carnival or Royal. The other ones are a one person operation, whereas Howl at the Moon consisted of a minimum of two and sometimes up to four people entertaining you at the same time, leading to a much better entertainment experience, IMHO. I enjoyed Ron Pass back in the day on Carnival, but Howl was a much better experience as far as I am concerned. The chairs that I sit on do not matter, it's the entertainment that I am there for.

In fact, the only areas that Carnival excelled at versus the Escape, IMO was lunchtime eating options such as Guy's, Blue Iguana, Mongolian Wok and Cucina del Capitano.

Not our experience. All too often people get turned away due to lack of seating.

They should move the late night shows to main lounge so everyone who wants to see the show can get in.

They do not because they "want an intimate experience for the comedian with their crowd". Do not understand doing this while not allowing paying customers to get in.

I've found pretty big lines trying to do Carnival's comedy shows as well. They're popular (because they're generally good), and the venues are not that large. I have found if you don't mind standing in the back, you can get in if you show up just a few minutes after the show starts and just walk in. I've found the same with most comedy clubs on lines. Occasionally it's so packed you don't want to though, if you're stuck right by the door and others keep coming in/out.

Haven't done Costa, but the MSC Divina shows were rather good. Granted this is their "Americanized" ship so it's not the same entertainment as you would get on their other ones. I will assume Seaside will generally be the same quality.
Here's a link that describes the 7 new shows that will be on the Seaside, one for each and every night. http://ctbobcruisesite.com/SeasideShows.html

Greetings… We have cruised in carnival, RCI and most recently MSC. Most of the previous posters have done a great job listing differences so I'll just briefly give our experience. The Oasis class on RCL is fabulous and something worth experiencing. Many of their newer ships have similar amenities. That said carnival is coming out with a new ship, the horizon, next year in which we are interested. Last month we traveled on MSC Divina and had a great time. This was our first cruise without a large group of family and friends along, just my husband and I and our two daughters who each brought along a friend. For the price of two insides on some of the other lines we were able to get two balconies on the weeklong cruise. Our first cruise on Carnival was when our youngest daughter was six and we have done seven more in the past 11 years. We have loved them all but each have been a slightly different experience (depending a great deal on who we traveled with)! MSC is a European company and since there were multiple nationalities on board they lacked such entertainment as a comedy or interactive game shows. English was the primary language and we had no issue at all.There were plenty of entertainment options but it was definitely a quieter, more subdued experience than some of our previous cruises. For us it comes down to price, itinerary and the type of cruise we are looking for but I would not hesitate to try a different cruiseline. Starting next year when we have an "empty nest" my husband and I will hopefully be able to take advantage of some of the last minute off season deals and experience some of the other cruises that may have not fit our budget in the past traveling with kids! On a final note, I love Cruise critic and the forums and really have found a wealth of information so check out other posts about the various cruise ships/lines (but of course everybody's opinions can be based on their personal experience/preferences so you have to go with an open mind!)!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've found pretty big lines trying to do Carnival's comedy shows as well. They're popular (because they're generally good), and the venues are not that large. I have found if you don't mind standing in the back, you can get in if you show up just a few minutes after the show starts and just walk in. I've found the same with most comedy clubs on lines. Occasionally it's so packed you don't want to though, if you're stuck right by the door and others keep coming in/out.

And even worse they have shrunk the venue on their newest ships (more passengers smaller venue) making it even worse.

Starting next year when we have an "empty nest" my husband and I will hopefully be able to take advantage of some of the last minute off season deals and experience some of the other cruises that may have not fit our budget in the past traveling with kids!
If I may make a suggestion....look into the Yacht Club on the Seaside (USA) or Seaview (Europe) from MSC. It's a ship within a ship concept that has inside, balcony and suite options similar to the haven on NCL, but at a fraction of the cost. Ships are debuting in late 2017 and 2018.

If I may make a suggestion....look into the Yacht Club on the Seaside (USA) or Seaview (Europe) from MSC. It's a ship within a ship concept that has inside, balcony and suite options similar to the haven on NCL, but at a fraction of the cost. Ships are debuting in late 2017 and 2018.

I agree the yacht club looks fabulous. Definitely plan on cruising MSC again in the future!

I agree the yacht club looks fabulous. Definitely plan on cruising MSC again in the future!
We booked two years in advance for next January for inside Yacht Club on the Seaside. The only drawback is that their private island Ocean Cay will not be completed in time. But if we have a good time, we'll just rebook for sometime in 2019 or 2020. Still have the Norwegian Bliss and Celebrity Edge in our long term future bookings list.

OP I think to compare lines can be misleading as 2 ships in the same line could be very different. I have been on 15 cruises with 16 and 17 coming up, 4 different lines. I am going to try to break this down by similar ships within the lines I have sailed.

Disney (Wonder 3 night, Magic 7 night): These were our first 2 cruises 16 and 13 years ago respectively. Mid-size ships. They were also our most expensive on a pp/pd basis. Best entertainment (it's Disney:D), best private island, best room lay-out, best specialty restaurant (Palo), great service. Worth the money to us when we have kids the age to get the most out of the Disney experience to spoil.

Carnival (Inspiration and Elation, 5 night each): These were our next 2 cruises 11 and 12 years ago respectively. Smaller ships, entertainment was similar to a cheap Vegas show, dress code was higher back then, inside/OV rooms were small, all food and service was good but not anything that sticks out in my mind.

NCL (Jewel, 5 night 10 years ago and 7 night 4 years ago): Mid-size ship, casual dress code, smallest rooms, production shows very good, Italian restaurant not so good, Brazilian Steakhouse excellant, loved Blue Lagoon. MDR food good but lacked choices, buffet very good. Loved Freestyle dining but 2nd cruise MDR often had waits....had to find off times to go.

Carnival (Destiny/Sunshine, 5 night 8 years ago and 5 night 1 year ago): Small to Mid-Size ship, casual dress code with the exception of elegant night, Inside room small, Balcony room nice size. Loved Sunshine Serenity deck, comedy club way to small. Loved the addition of Blue Iguana and Guys Burger on Sunshine as well as the addition of the Italian Restaurant. MDR food and service good. Buffet not so good. We were also not impressed with the Steakhouse. Loved anytime dining on Sunshine...no waits. Loved Sea Day Brunch on Sunshine.

Carnival (Glory, 5 night 7 years ago, Freedom, 8 night 9 years ago and 6 night 4 years ago, Splendor, 7 night 2 years ago): Mid-size ships, nice sized balcony rooms, loved anytime dining (only short waits on elegant nights only) and casual dress code (except elegant night), good MDR food and service, buffet still not so good (except omelets at breakfast). Loved Sea Day Brunch. Comedy club, Production shows good, Play List Productions ok. DH loved the familiarity that came from getting to know the ship layout after multiple sailing on these size ships.

NCL (Epic, 7 night 5 years ago): Larger ship but tiny inside rooms with poor bathroom design. Loved Freestyle dining with casual dress code, MDR food and service good, Buffet excellent. Loved OSheehans. Cirque show food not so good, show excellent, all other shows excellent...close to Disney quality. Howl at the Moon excellent, Comedy good. DH felt the ship to be too big and crowded. Did not bother me. Had to make reservations for specialty restaurants and some shows. Again not a problem for me as I am a planner.

Princess (Ruby Princess, 5 night 3 years ago): Much older demographic (a lot of "My Way" at karaoke) even during Spring Break from FLL. OK size balcony, liked the bathroom/closet layout, rest of the room not so much. Balcony chairs were extremely uncomfortable. Couldn't sit in them longer than 5 minutes. Food hit or miss in MDR and Buffet. Some was excellent and some just wasn't. Didn't seem to be a middle ground. Worst service from any of our cruises. Did not like their version of anytime when looking for a table for 2. Dressier dress code. Loved MUTS. Shows were about the same quality as NCL Jewel, very good.

Carnival (Dream, 7 night 1 year ago): Mid-Larger ship. Nice size balcony room. Loved the outside Promenade deck. Loved anytime dining (only wait was on elegant night about 20 min) and casual dress code (except elegant night). Loved Serenity Deck and comedy club. MDR, deli, Italian Restaurant good. Buffet again not so good except omelets in the morning. Loved Sea Day buffet. Shows were good.

Upcoming cruises on NCL Escape (7 night) and CCL Fantasy (5 night). I expect these 2 cruises to be as different as night and day in many respects. I also expect to enjoy both of them for very different reasons.

My advise to you OP is to look for the SHIP that best fits your vacation wants at the price YOU are willing to pay and then enjoy the ride ;).

Edited by Warm Breezes

Hardwood chairs? No thanks:(.

Yeah, it's true. But don't get me wrong. Howl at the Moon is great entertainment. The shows are a lot of fun. I just wanted to point out that it is not the same as a traditional piano lounge. Not even close.

""I'd rank Carnival only one step above HAL with the main shows"

You mean HAL has the worst shows? What about Costa and MSC shows?

Yes. Of the lines I've sailed, I think HAL has the worst entertainment, including the main shows. I can't speak for Costa or MSC. I can see MSC being in my near future, but not Costa.

If you're on... you're drinking.....

Carnival -- Natty Light

Royal Caribbean -- Heineken

Norweigan -- Miller Light

Norweigan in The Haven -- Samuel Adams Boston Lager

P&O -- Boddingtons Bitter

Aida -- Doppelbock

Costa -- Mescal (at least the Captain is anyway)

Holland America -- Scotch & Soda

MSC -- Antonori Marchese Chianti Classico Riserva 2013

MSC Yacht Club -- Il Marroneto Brunello Madonne delle Grazie 2012

Disney -- Dad's Root Beer

Princess -- Rochioli South River Vineyard Chardonnay 2003

Celebrity -- Mayback Family Vineyards Materium 2005

Azamara -- Absinthe

Crystal -- Dom Perignon 1998

Cunard --Krug Vintage Brut 1988

Fred Olsen -- An Old Fashoined

Windstar -- A Very Dry Martini

Regent -- Geritol

Silversea -- Natures Answer Liquid Fiber

The majority of our cruises have been on Carnival. My first cruise was on RCI and we have 2 Princess under our belt.

This is MY opinion and others are certainly free to disagree. I will attempt to give the OP and honest answer based upon my experiences and observations. I will use the word "class" but before we begin, let me say that I refer to the informal use of the word to describe elegance, grace or dignity as reflected in behavior and dress and it is not a comment on social, political or economic status. So here we go...

I did not care for my RCI cruise. The food was a disappointment and the staff appeared disinterested/put out. In reading a lot of comparison posts, there is a theme that the MDR food on Carnival is better and the Lido buffet better on RCI. So as we eat primarily in the MDR this comes as no surprise to me. I also have found my staff observations to be consent as well. Don't get me wrong, the service is fine, just lacking the smile and energy. Also, shows on RCI will get the nod every time....especially when you take into considerations the options offered on Oasis and such. There are a lot more "bells and whistles" like rock walls and flow riders on their larger ships. Overall the vibe is family oriented.

Carnival is definitely the fun ship and this is reflected throughout and even into the comedy club. The staff are warm and welcoming. And I can always find something I enjoy eating, and really like the newer additions from guys to blue iguana that keep appearing. Carnival has hairy chest contests and a party atmosphere particularly on shorter cruises. Where I think Carnival is beginning to lose out for me is not enforcing things like dress code. I think tank tops, sweaty baseball caps and flip flops just do not belong in MDR and are lacking class. I also feel that there is a small element that is creeping in that voices repeatedly I paid for my cruise so I am going to do what I want....including drink all 15 alcoholic beverages whether or not I should. When you encounter these selfish overindulgent idiots, it does take away from the cruise.

Princess is rapidly turning into our favorite line. The staff is very attentive but not as playful as on Carnival. Princess is more of what I consider a classic cruise experience from the staff to the decor to the clientele. They still have formal evening and most men still have on jacket and tie if not a tux. The food on Princess is just as good as Carnival. The biggest difference is one I feel and can see when reading the boards...and the best word I have to describe it is the passengers as a whole have more class. I have not run into the "I'm drunk and do what I want" on Princess. I am sure it is there, but not to the same degree. On the boards people aren't posting asking how to break the rules - smuggle alcohol, get around Cheers rules etc. They also are not asking "how causal can I dress and still get away with it." Again, not saying it never happens, it's just much reduced.

In all my cruise searches it appears on RCI you are paying more generally for the bells and whistles. On Princess, you are paying more - it is considered a step up from Carnival. And most Princess cruises are 10+ days; people who can afford the cost of those cruises and the time away are more likely to be older and more seasoned travelers....and people looking for a classic, traditional cruise. Carnival with its short $200 cruises is in a whole different place, and drawing a segment that at times simply lack class.

OP, I hope that helps. Really they are similar and it is in the details that create a different environment/ culture between the lines. It's always good to step out and try something new. As we will have exhausted the majority of departure ports and ports of call on Carnival we are ready for my time with Princess. Time for Europe and beyond in the coming years.

And Here we go with the Dress Code in the MDR Again:D

Mike

mpdog42

Yeah, it's true. But don't get me wrong. Howl at the Moon is great entertainment. The shows are a lot of fun. I just wanted to point out that it is not the same as a traditional piano lounge. Not even close.

Yes. Of the lines I've sailed, I think HAL has the worst entertainment, including the main shows. I can't speak for Costa or MSC. I can see MSC being in my near future, but not Costa.

Oh, I believe you but I cannot imagine any entertainment that I'd spend even 10 minutes in a hardwood chair for (other than maybe my granddaughter's dance recital:)).

Oh, I believe you but I cannot imagine any entertainment that I'd spend even 10 minutes in a hardwood chair for (other than maybe my granddaughter's dance recital:)).

I'm with you on that. If I'm uncomfortable, my enjoyment of anything tanks.

We loved Howl at the Moon on NCL Epic and went to see it every chance we could. TBH I don't remember the chairs being an issue at all other than trying to find some to sit in as so many other people enjoyed the show as well. I can't wait to see the show again on NCL Escape next month.

My opinion is that comparing a cruise line against another does not really tell the whole story.

Agree, but individual cruise lines policies and practices are part of the story.

We did not enjoy NCL as much as other lines because with the freedom that comes with "Freestyle" cruising comes the responsibility of coordinating dinner, port and show times, understanding wait times and walk times making reservations and remembering them. I enjoy this in day to day life, but on a cruise I'd rather have my evening planned out for me.

Agree, but individual cruise lines policies and practices are part of the story.

We did not enjoy NCL as much as other lines because with the freedom that comes with "Freestyle" cruising comes the responsibility of coordinating dinner, port and show times, understanding wait times and walk times making reservations and remembering them. I enjoy this in day to day life, but on a cruise I'd rather have my evening planned out for me.

I agree. There are some basic differences in the cruise lines that make some a better fit for individual cruisers than others.

Freestyle dining doesn't appeal to my parents. There is no point in trying NCL because their freestyle concept will be an issue. My parents rarely drink so booking a cruise that is all inclusive also doesn't appeal to us (Crystal, Regent, etc.).

For me, Royal Caribbean has become bottom of the list because of their beds. If I don't get a good night sleep, I'm not going to enjoy my vacation.

Personal preferences play a big part in enjoying a specific cruise line.

If you don't like having to make reservations beforehand and trying to coordinate your own schedule and just leave it up to the cruise line with main and late seating and two shows per night, then you'll never have the opportunity to sail on any of the top 10 cruise ships size wise currently afloat by RCI and NCL that require you to make show reservations and specialty dining reservations in advance.

I fully understand where you're coming from, there are still some people that have flip phones or no cell phones at all.

If you don't like having to make reservations beforehand and trying to coordinate your own schedule and just leave it up to the cruise line with main and late seating and two shows per night, then you'll never have the opportunity to sail on any of the top 10 cruise ships size wise currently afloat by RCI and NCL that require you to make show reservations and specialty dining reservations in advance.

I fully understand where you're coming from, there are still some people that have flip phones or no cell phones at all.

We did Oasis at the last minute. We were still able to get late late seating, but most shows were booked. We did the standby line, did not have to get there crazy early to get good seats. So to me that's a lot different than the NCL product.

With respect to cell phones, I put mine in airplane mode on cruises. It's usually my camera and my watch, so I can't say I don't use it, but I use it very differently than I do the rest of the time.

So I'm not coming from a place of resisting change. I just prefer a cruise line where the program is more defined.

From our experience..

The ships atmosphere on Princess is more elegant. Carnival's atmosphere / crew is more casual, high energy, fun and friendly. We prefer the food in Carnival's Main Dining Room. Carnival's balcony cabins are larger. Our last cruise on Princess was in 2005. In 2006, we switched to Carnival and loved it so much we haven't gone back to Princess. We may try Holland or Princess again in the future but it would most likely be because they offer an itinerary that Carnival doesn't.

We did Oasis at the last minute. We were still able to get late late seating, but most shows were booked. We did the standby line, did not have to get there crazy early to get good seats. So to me that's a lot different than the NCL product.

Please explain to me what is so different between how things are done with the mega ships on Royal and the Breakaway and Breakaway-Plus class ships on NCL. Been on the Escape twice and from what I have read on the boards, their procedures are the same as what happens on the Royal mega ships. You need to make reservations for most shows as well as specialty dining ahead of time and there is a stand by line to fill in the gaps. Thanks

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Please explain to me what is so different between how things are done with the mega ships on Royal and the Breakaway and Breakaway-Plus class ships on NCL. Been on the Escape twice and from what I have read on the boards, their procedures are the same as what happens on the Royal mega ships. You need to make reservations for most shows as well as specialty dining ahead of time and there is a stand by line to fill in the gaps. Thanks

Seating capacity makes a huge difference. Oasis theater seats 1380 people while the Escape only seats 900. I realize Oasis has more passengers on board, but those passengers are disbursed throughout the ship. When one of the main shows is playing on Escape, that's pretty much it for the night. Everyone tries to go. On Oasis, 2 or 3 of the main shows are playing at the same time in different venues, so not everyone is trying to go to the same show.

In my experience, the Escape theater got packed. Oasis Class always seems to have seats open, especially on the edges or up on the balcony. This means that the standby line wasn't as a bad a thing on Oasis as on Escape.

That said, the standby line for the Aqua Theater shows is not a good idea, and sometimes the comedy show.

But this is only what I've experienced on both ships. I realize others may not have had the same experience.