All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

You know, Laurie, I'm really not sure yet. I pulled a pile of things I like out of my closet and tomorrow I'll have some time to lay them out and make some choices. I'm at that awkward stage where I've lost enough weight that my pants are too big, but not enough that I'm really down a size. I also don't know how I feel about day dressing on the ship, whether I want to be super casual or look more pulled together. It's not like me to be so indecisive. I think the California cruises might be a bit more laid back, maybe you can give me some feedback about that.

Margaret, as much as has gone on for you this year I’d go for the casual day look. Love those dresses.

Laurie, love that dress. Penney’s has a coupon right now too, $10 off of $10 or more & 20-25% off. I’d get that dress

Just found out that a classmate from high school is going to be on the Silhouette the same time we’re on the Eclipse! Haven’t seen her since we graduated (49 years ago [emoji849]). We’re going to try to meet up in Antigua (neither of us have plans that day). Les wants to see Nelsons Boatyard & maybe a morning at a beach. Then meet up with Janice for a drink. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Margaret, when I went on my cruise out of San Diego, it was cool the whole time, so my attire was geared towards that. However, I was expecting it to be warmer than it was, so I was cold a lot. I had two very lightweight jackets that I matched scarves to. My bottoms were cropped colored jeans or actual denim jeans. My tops were basic knits because I was layering. I look forward to doing a trip from the west coast again, and my plan this time is mostly the same, but I will bring some heavier layers, depending on the time of year. I felt really pulled together because my jackets were a coral color and burnt red, and I had a few scarves to go with each. As long as I made sure there was mix and match ability, it was great. I think that is a must for layering.

If you are going to have any cooler temps, then layers are the way to go! What is fun about scarves is that that they can make you feel so pulled together, without much effort. I would dress the way that you want to, if you know what I mean. You are the only person who needs to be pleased!

I will say that it was one of my more casual cruises though, with the ports being San Francisco, Catalina Island and....where was the last one? The name eludes me at the moment, but it was the port we almost missed due to engine trouble. It was in BC. The first formal night, I wore the long red jersey knit dress. The second night I wore one of my only short formal dresses - a Ralph Lauren rioja red sequined lace dress.

I felt like the overall feel was smart casual. I would put that into context though - for me, smart casual means chinos and polos or button down shirts (tucked in) for men and women wore dress pants with a nice top, or a more casual dress. Formal nights were the usual mix of attire, but formal wear was understated. I think the reason was that you didn't have the usual mix of young and old, kids, etc. This was mostly adults, 45 and up.

Now I remember, it was Victoria, BC.

The fun thing is, I loved that RL dress and had it altered. It fits great! I was contemplating it for our next cruise, but I kind of want to wear long dresses both nights. I might bring it for our date night or something. Maybe I should just book another cruise. If only my husband could hear me now.

I know what you mean about things feeling baggy, but not necessarily too big. I still have stuff like that. If I had more time, there are things I would alter. Really, it is so hard for me to get a good fit sometimes. There are certain brands that work well for me with particular items, but the rest is a crap shoot.

I can wore Loft jeans, and they fit so well. I wait until they have a Sunday flash sale online at 60% off. Jeans, as long as they fit, last quite a while so I am fairly set on those. Express work pants fit me great, but not all fabrics are ideal for a bank so I have to be selective. I tend to try and dress them up a bit by wearing jackets and scarves or nice necklaces to pull together the look.

NY & Co. can have some nice dress pants in the right fabrics, but I'm just not finding good colors. So you can see where I'm heading with all this...I feel like I have to make do a lot with work clothes. As long as I look appropriate, I'm okay with that but it amazes me how much better I feel, present myself and even work, when my outfit is right.

When I'm on vacation, or going somewhere with my husband, then I'm more selective and I can run into some trouble. I'm good with finding shorts and skorts for the look desired. The tops are a struggle. I have a couple really good ones that I wore on my last cruise.

Margaret ,Good choices for formal night .

Our cruise to Cuba is getting very complicated with the new rules . You have to have an excursion planned from the cruise line or private for a certain amount of hours each day before you can go off on your own .We are debating whether the hassle is worth it . Just waiting till some people return who were there after the new rules went into affect .

Have a great trip, Melody!

Margaret, I've always wanted to either go to the Macy's parade or be in Times Square on New Year's Eve. But the parade is much farther up my list. That must have been do much fun!!

I ordered the real lace dress today.

I'm going to the SU football game tomorrow. They started the season strong, especially with the win over Clemson. Since then though...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Laurie, I'm looking forward to seeing that dress on you. It's very pretty.

Sunday when I pack my suitcase I'll try to take some photos of what I'm taking. I debated about bringing jeans, but I just don't think I'll wear them much. For bottoms I've got:

black ankle pants

khaki ankle pants

navy capris

navy skort

khaki skort

board shorts

For layering:

black fleece

black sweater

tan sweater

The pants and sweaters are things I wear to work a lot.

Here are my shoes. I realized after the photo that I need something to hike in, so I'm also bringing an older pair of navy water sneakers (super lightweight and pack flat). I was going to wear my Zumba shoes for hiking (the black Rykas), but I just couldn't bring myself to abuse them that way. The black peep-toe platform sandals and the tan pumps will be my go-to dinner shoes along with the black and tan pants, the sparkly keds are great for walking and for cooler days, and I tend to wear flip flops on board most days:

shoes.jpg

So, all these things will be my base, and my tops are a variety of patterns.

Hi all. We’re in Miami. Had to share pictures from our flight. I caught an amazing deal in first class, but didn’t expect this bb5e25a8a7caa4c7615b398c2c302863.jpg5b69dbd071b002c236adf2f45baaafee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

American 757 with seats that turned to beds! Les was so happy & my legs didn’t swell a bit (I didn’t need my beach ball). Melody

Here is the parade of tops, starting with Tshirts (the one on the right is turquoise, it looks a bit washed out but it's not IRL:

tops04.jpg

tops07.jpg

Long sleeve Ts:

tops02.jpg

This blouse is for our first night specialty dining at the Crown Grill:

tops01.jpg

Dressy tanks:

tops08.jpg

tops06.jpg

Dressy short sleeves (left) and long sleeves (right):

tops03.jpg

That last necklace on the right is so much prettier IRL, the discs are iridescent shell pieces and the beads are crystal.

I'm all packed except for the last minute items!

Margaret, you are bringing s great selection of items! As you know, I don't wear a lot of prints. When I do, I always look for the "right" necklace and I tho k you've done a great job of this.

I have a new necklace I look forward to wearing, but it is flower based and feels very springbreak/summery. I would totally bring it on s cruise or vacation though.

I just love it when I pack. That is when it feels I'm officially going on vacation!

When do you leave again? Sorry, i get so mixed up lately. I am off work right now. I had some vacation time left to use and we have a lot if people off in December.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

I was thinking when I had everything laid out on the bed, "wow, Laurie is going to freak when she sees all these patterns." LOL I'm really pushing the edges of my color spectrum here, I've got everything from soft green to black and red.

I'm leaving tomorrow! Woohoo!

So funny, because I was freaking out a little! One area I like to see prints is in accessories, especially scarves. To me wearing a necklace is like wearing a print as well.

My dress arrived today. I was nervous about the size I ordered, as I ordered based on pant size rather than top size. This is kind of a big deal. At one time, I was wearing a 16 on top, and starting into a 14 on the bottom. I have gotten down to a 10 on top and a 6 on the bottom. Sometimes, I still wear an 8 in pants, and I may need a bigger top. You know how that sort of thing goes.

I think it was Anita who was once talking about how tops are made based on a B cup. I am a DD.

Anyway, I ordered an 8, and it fits absolutely perfect. There is no one home to take a picture. I like the color a lot. It isn't a dark teal, it's more or a brighter mid tone, which works very well for me. The lace has a bit of a sparkle to it, which I did not catch when looking at it online. But boy, I really love it. It is meant to create an hourglass kind of look, and I usually end up with extra room through the waist and hips that I don't need. But this works very well. I think the lace detracts from flaws, if you know what I mean. My jersey knit dresses are fabulous, but without some sort of camo such as a ruching, you can see every detail, whether it be a round tummy or whatever.

Once someone is home to take a picture, I will post one. My usual reaction is to feel disappointed when I first see a photo, then when I walk away from it, i can go back later objectively. I really like this dress though. I would say more than I've liked a dress right off in a very long time.

Looking forward to seeing real life pictures of that dress, Laurie. It sounds lovely.

We made it to LA. Took a nap to try to adjust to the time change, and then we had dinner in a local brew pub that was quite excellent. If we are up early enough (which I probably will be) we may get to see the Ruby Princess come into port. We have a view of the battleship Iowa, and the Ruby is supposed to berth right next to it.