NYC Theater Advice

descal13

my DH and I will be staying a couple of days in NYC pre-cruise. We would love to see a Broadway show, top choices Kinky Boots and Come From Away. Rather than book a show now, I am thinking we’ll roll the dice and get day-of tickets from TKTS or similar outlet. I figure that some Broadway show should have tickets even if my top choices do not, and it’s Broadway so it will be amazing whatever it is. I guess I am looking for confirmation that this is not a completely crazy idea, and that I should be able to get some sort of deal with a day-of ticket purchase. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

If you want "a" show, not a specific show, you should be fine. You have a couple of options. TKTS will work for day of show (a lot of folks are now recommending the location at Lincoln Center rather than Times Square). You can also walk up to the box office when you get in town (check TKTS for the show you're interested in to get a feel for price and availability) and buy at face value, but without the Ticketmaster/Broadway.com, etc., fees. "Most" shows (Hamilton, Springsteen, etc.,excepted) will have tickets 2-3 days out. And, if you're feeling lucky, you can download the Hamilton app and enter the lottery for $10 next day Hamilton tickets...

I don't know specific TKTS availability for either of the two shows you'd rather see. Come From Away was sold out the last time I looked, so I don't know about TKTS, BUT, I've been surprised in the past by just walking up to the show's box office a day or two before the show. We got tickets (not great, but we were there) to Spamalot years ago during the first week of its Broadway run that way...

my DH and I will be staying a couple of days in NYC pre-cruise. We would love to see a Broadway show, top choices Kinky Boots and Come From Away. Rather than book a show now, I am thinking we’ll roll the dice and get day-of tickets from TKTS or similar outlet. I figure that some Broadway show should have tickets even if my top choices do not, and it’s Broadway so it will be amazing whatever it is.

Your idea is not "completely crazy" if you don't care at all about what you see. But just because something is "Broadway" doesn't mean it will be amazing. It may not even be very good. Or maybe it will be something some folks love but it turns out you don't. Not all shows are equal. My personal feeling is that if there's a show you really want to see, you should get tickets in advance, especially if it's a popular show.

I have been going to the theatre for a very long time, and "Come From Away" is one of the best shows I've ever seen. (I haven't seen "Kinky Boots," so I can't help you there.)

Enjoy your trip!

my DH and I will be staying a couple of days in NYC pre-cruise. We would love to see a Broadway show, top choices Kinky Boots and Come From Away. Rather than book a show now, I am thinking we’ll roll the dice and get day-of tickets from TKTS or similar outlet. I figure that some Broadway show should have tickets even if my top choices do not, and it’s Broadway so it will be amazing whatever it is. I guess I am looking for confirmation that this is not a completely crazy idea, and that I should be able to get some sort of deal with a day-of ticket purchase. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

We go to nyc every year and see normally about 4 plays , will be there next week, we saw kinky boots last year or year before and really good tickets with half price tkts, come from away is not currently offered from tkts , but there are plenty of other good shows , get the tkts app so you can see shows offered . You can see my post on this board on broadway plays many people had great advice on current shows. Beautiful is also really good and also Bronx tale .

There's also an app TodayTIX for discounted tickets. If there's a specific show you really want to see I would suggest buying ahead of time. If you really don't care, then go TKTX to see what's available that day. You'll always find something good.

I didn’t know about the Hamilton lottery, that would be a hoot! Beautiful, Spamalot and Springsteen would be cool, too. I know nothing about Bronx Tale, so I’ll look it up. Thanks for all the great advice. I think we will roll the dice, when we get in on Friday get on the Hamilton lottery, then walk up to a few box offices early Saturday to try to get a good show ticket!

TKTS mobil app: http://tdf.busedge.com/nyc/20/TKTS-Mobile-App

You also have Rush, Lottery and Standing Room only tickets. See Playbill for an explanation http://www.playbill.com/article/broadway-rush-lottery-and-standing-room-only-policies-com-116003

These links are amazing, thank you so much! My cruise isn’t until September, so I have bookmarked the links and will try the lotteries as the date approaches! The chance of getting Hamilton or Springsteen tix is incredible. I just assumed there would be no chance in hell I could either afford or acquire tickets for either show. There is a small chance, but a chance nonetheless!

Sorry to dash your dreams, but some reality is that Come From Away probably won't be on TKTS. Spamalot has been closed for quite some time. Springsteen is totally sold out. Hamilton lottery is a 10 in 10,000 chance -- holding out hope that you get those tix means you pass up many other options.

Kinky Boots is a great show. You can get the same TKTS discount now from the comfort of your home and chose your seats by using the discount code at Theatermania.com, Broadwaybox.com or Playbill.com. ONLY use the discount section of those sites. Using the booth isn't a bad idea, but it takes up precious vacation time, you don't get to chose your seats, and from now until then more and more tickets will be purchased leaving you with worse and worse options at the booth. These discounts might not extend to September now but check every couple weeks and buy when you see your dates

Today's Tix works for some folks -- you can't buy as long in advance and there have been complaints about the process to actually get your tickets from the selling company, but just a few complaints.

Absolutely not a crazy idea. If you are going to be in lower Manhattan you can also get tickets from the TKTS outlet near the South Street Seaport. Gives you a head start on those waiting in line in Times Square. Also, there is a TKTS app that you can use to track what shows are available.

I also use south street seaport , lines much smaller, and you can get matinee tickets for next day , newest location is in Lincoln center , so next Friday will take a quick taxi to Lincoln center and buy our Friday night tickets and Saturday matinee tickets

TKTS mobil app: http://tdf.busedge.com/nyc/20/TKTS-Mobile-App

You also have Rush, Lottery and Standing Room only tickets. See Playbill for an explanation http://www.playbill.com/article/broadway-rush-lottery-and-standing-room-only-policies-com-116003

Love this link. Plan to give it my best try to snag some tickets before our cruise in June.:)

Speaking of tickets...

I hit the "Verified Fan" lottery last night! Two tickets to Hamilton! (In 11 months...) The current ticket release is January to May of 2019, and I have unknown international travel dates in January & February, so a matinee in April! (Waaaaay in the back; anything halfway close is a premium ticket.)

Speaking of tickets...

I hit the "Verified Fan" lottery last night! Two tickets to Hamilton! (In 11 months...) The current ticket release is January to May of 2019, and I have unknown international travel dates in January & February, so a matinee in April! (Waaaaay in the back; anything halfway close is a premium ticket.)

Congrats and enjoy!!

I've also heard good things about Broadway Roulette. You can choose 4 that you don't want to see, and musical vs play.

That said, I *loved* Kinky Boots and am dying to see Come From Away so I'm no help!

You can definitely do this . My wife and I have done this more times than I can count .

Thank you, everyone, for the great advice! I can't wait! I live in Boston, and the American Repertory Theatre in Cambridge has an Alanis Morrisette musical, Jagged Little Pill, that is getting rave reviews - the whole run of the show is sold out, even matinee tickets are going for $250 or more. They usually "try out" musicals in Boston, especially those at ART, so likely this show will be in NYC next. Just to give you a head's up, get your tickets early once it does go to NYC or it will likely be as challenging Springsteen or Hamilton tix to acquire. Here is a review: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/16/theater/alanis-morissette-jagged-little-pill-musical.html

Don’t forget about My Fair Lady which is playing up in Lincoln Center.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is one of the theaters I will not go to again, seats have no leg room , I am 6’4” and left at intermisson last time, there are several other theaters which I avoid for same reason.

• 2 weeks later...