What's in a name? (For Cunard's new ship)

koliviera45

BERENGARIA - A queen with the -ia ending. Pleases the traditionalists who want an -ia name, keeps the queen's motif going and the original RMS Berengaria was a little top heavy, a bit like the pictures of her that we've seen so far.

Queen Berengaria, I rather like that, and the original ship was BEAUTIFUL. Come to think of it, were any of the ocean liners of yesteryear ugly in the same way as some modern cruise ships?

Queen Berengaria, I rather like that, and the original ship was BEAUTIFUL. Come to think of it, were any of the ocean liners of yesteryear ugly in the same way as some modern cruise ships?

I was thinking more of her days as Imperartor when she had a giant gilded eagle on the bow and needed to have the marble bathrooms on the upper decks ripped out and concrete poured into her to lower her centre of gravity.

Guest SilverHengroen

If by ‘in the same way’ you’re limiting it to stacks of decks giving a top heavy appearance then I think that’s a relatively recent phenomenon, but there’s plenty of less than beautiful ships from the age of steam and earlier, it’s just the most notable big flagships tended to get more time and money lavished on making them look more appealing as being a ‘halo product’ was part of their job!

HI : I would place a (small) wager on CUNARD breaking out and NOT naming this newbie a QUEEN...Queen Anne? Not a very striking name for a ship. Also, since she is basically a blown up Vista class ship (a la HAL Koningsdam/Pinnacle) no worries about it NOT having a wrapped promenade...pretty sure this is a feature CUNARD would never break tradition with.

3,000+ guests, she'll be the largest capacity CUNARD ship. I've been on the Koningsdam and knowing CUNARD, whatever she's called, it will be an amazing ship - the two level mid-ship pool area is stunning (on Koningsdam) and covered, a feature sadly missing on the Victoria and Elizabeth and for reasons I can't figure out, except to give the Wintergarden's ample room. They surely could have incorporated those respective venues into an indoor/outdoor (covered) feature. It would have been nice crossing the Atlantic this past January on QE. Lot's of ice on the deck.

My question is where will this new ship go? I don't see current voyages being sold out (regularly). Why not position this (or the Victoria or Elizabeth) in the US - Cunard is not a well known brand in the US but should be and we could use everything that Cunard is famous for here in the States. I've crossed the pond four times with Cunard in the past year (3 on QM2 and once on QE) and getting tired of flying to the UK to catch a ride (not really.) Cunard outshines and out delivers anything close to price and standards of service (IMO). Cunard transiting the canal; Hawaii; Alaska - we need some solid, sound British appeal over here. Show the Americans (I'm one of them) how it's done, what it's really like to cruise. Want to climb a rock, go to Wyoming, or sail on a floating theme park. Tea?

The journey continues, and always will.

I think the way modern trends are happening it might be easier than you think for Cunard to obtain a suitable name for the new cruise liner. Why not do what the Natural Environment Research Council did to name their new Polar Research Vessel, by trying to democratically seek a name though social media on their website. What could go wrong? You end up with a very popular name everybody loves and it's the epitome of democracy.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/apr/17/boaty-mcboatface-wins-poll-to-name-polar-research-vessel

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I think the way modern trends are happening it might be easier than you think for Cunard to obtain a suitable name for the new cruise liner. Why not do what the Natural Environment Research Council did to name their new Polar Research Vessel, by trying to democratically seek a name though social media on their website. What could go wrong? You end up with a very popular name everybody loves and it's the epitome of democracy.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/apr/17/boaty-mcboatface-wins-poll-to-name-polar-research-vessel

Regards John

We'd end up with Queeny McQueenface

Guest SilverHengroen
We'd end up with Queeny McQueenface

That would be almost as bad as “QE2 II”!

I’d be happy enough with Queen Anne or Alexandra, but I think they’re really limiting themselves for the future if they ever wanted to add a 5th ship, plus when the current fleet retires and they get into the endless cycling of names between ‘new’ versions of ships... this really should be taken as their chance to escape the Queen naming convention and go back to ias. I see some people above mentioned Berengaria - that would be an easy first step away from Queen names, Mauretania would be another good choice as it’s a pretty well known name to anyone who is even vaguely into ships (as most people who sail with Cunard likely are?)

In sept 2017 Cunard announced to build a new ship - ready for take-off in 2022.

But they didn't reveal its name yet. What do you think? Its internal name seems to be "Halifax".

Probably it will be a new Queen, standing in line with its predecessors to continue a

great tradition - so, we will get a "Queen X". But what is X?

As I remember, there weren't any further female members of the Royal family with the title "Queen" in near history - beside Elizabeth, Mary and Victoria. (They cannot call it "Queen Mum" and I do not believe in fantasy-names.)

Cunard would do very well to keep tradition - especially in naming their ships.

But it will take 5 years to reach 2022 and much things can happen.

What do you think about a "Queen Camilla" or a "Queen Catherine"?

When Kate and William feel to be ready, Elizabeth will probably abdicate in the end. (I know there is someone else).

But imagine the publicity! The young, all over admired, new Queen Catherine can launch

her own ship - like Queen Elizabeth did in 2010. It would combine tradition with modern elegance, to find a new young and fresh spirit.

But if nothing happens untill 2022, they will call it "Queen Ann" or "Queen Mary 3".

AND WHAT DO YOU THINK ?

Edited by Palamux

It is my guess that the new Cunard Ship will be named Queen Anne. Concerning your theory and what do I know about the British Monarchy since I'm an American citizen but does Elizabeth have to stay on as Queen until she dies? And isn't her son Charles next in line to take over as King? If your theory is right and Elizabeth does have the right to abdicate the throne and she does before the year 2022 and if her son Charles is not interested in becoming King then William becomes King and his wife becomes Queen and William's wife names the new Cunard Ship after herself with the name Queen Catherine would look interesting. Regards,Jerry

Guest SilverHengroen
It is my guess that the new Cunard Ship will be named Queen Anne. Concerning your theory and what do I know about the British Monarchy since I'm an American citizen but does Elizabeth have to stay on as Queen until she dies? And isn't her son Charles next in line to take over as King? If your theory is right and Elizabeth does have the right to abdicate the throne and she does before the year 2022 and if her son Charles is not interested in becoming King then William becomes King and his wife becomes Queen and William's wife names the new Cunard Ship after herself with the name Queen Catherine would look interesting. Regards,Jerry

The Queen has stated she intends to stay true to her coronation vows and will never abdicate as Queen. A period of official regency, however, is a distinct possibility as she grows older and less able to keep up with the workload. In that situation, Prince Charles would become the ‘Prince Regent’ and effectively take over the Queen’s duties as ‘acting King’ to all intents and purposes.

There is zero chance Charles will abdicate the throne either - for all a small, vocal minority of hateful people keep pouring scorn on him, public opinion is still ultimately behind him. Even people who don’t like him generally realise that you don’t get a choice with monarchy, you have to take the good with the bad, as has always been the case. We’ve had popular and unpopular monarchs before, as well as objectively good and bad ones.

Ultimately the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have as many detractors as the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall, they just tend not to be as vocal about it. The D&D of Cambridge hardly ever make public appearances - a fraction of the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh’s even now they’re in their 90s... even Prince Harry does more and he’s not even in line tho the throne at all!

In sept 2017 Cunard announced to build a new ship - ready for take-off in 2022.

But they didn't reveal its name yet. What do you think? Its internal name seems to be "Halifax".

Probably it will be a new Queen, standing in line with its predecessors to continue a

great tradition - so, we will get a "Queen X". But what is X?

As I remember, there weren't any further female members of the Royal family with the title "Queen" in near history - beside Elizabeth, Mary and Victoria. (They cannot call it "Queen Mum" and I do not believe in fantasy-names.)

Cunard would do very well to keep tradition - especially in naming their ships.

But it will take 5 years to reach 2022 and much things can happen.

What do you think about a "Queen Camilla" or a "Queen Catherine"?

When Kate and William feel to be ready, Elizabeth will probably abdicate in the end. (I know there is someone else).

But imagine the publicity! The young, all over admired, new Queen Catherine can launch

her own ship - like Queen Elizabeth did in 2010. It would combine tradition with modern elegance, to find a new young and fresh spirit.

But if nothing happens untill 2022, they will call it "Queen Ann" or "Queen Mary 3".

AND WHAT DO YOU THINK ?

Queen Elizabeth (II; Queen regnant; arguably the namesake of QE2 though the official line is that she’s the second “Queen Elizabeth”. The Queen did, in effect, name the ship after herself when she spoke at the launch though.)

Queen Elizabeth (consort to George VI, namesake of QE, 1940 and QE 2010)

Queen Mary (consort to George V, namesake of QM 1936)

Queen Alexandra (consort to Edward VII)

Queen Victoria (regnant, namesake of QV 2007)

Queen Adelaide (consort to William IV)

Queen Caroline (consort to George IV)

Queen Charlotte (consort to George III)

Queen Caroline (consort to George II)

Queen Anne (Queen regnant)

There’s plenty of further ‘queens’ to Choose from, but not all of them were popular or married to kings who are well remembered, many are obscure in popular culture.

Probably the only two on that list with any resonance would be Alexandra, the consort of Queen Victoria’s son Edward VII who was very popular at the time and well remembered, or Queen Anne, Queen I her own right and the first queen of Britain as a single country. Anne is probably the more likely as there’s already the Queen Anne suite on QM2...

• 4 weeks later...

Queen Amidala the leader of the Naboo and mother to Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia and comes to mind. :p

In all seriousiness though the question to be answered is does Cunard intend to operate 4 ships at once something they would not have done for 25 years by 2022? If not than you are looking at Queen Mary 3 or Queen Victoria 2.

I can't see them retiring any of the current fleet yet so QM2 will still be the flagship.

Not if the new ship is larger and better presented than the QM2 which it probably will be given Cuanrd's attention to detail. And especially if this new ship is assigned to transatlantic routes and the Mary is assigned elsewhere.

I haven't seen anything in the information published so far to suggest that's the case. QM2 will still be the only liner in the fleet, the others are very nice cruise ships.

It is not coming out for 5 years by which time that lovely liner will be 19 years old and probably won't get another refit before 2022. We will wait to see cunard's move. I am personally surprised at the construction of a 4th ship as I think the cunard brand is in a little bit of trouble they seem to be doing a few less transatlantic runs these days when they are only the game in town apart from relocation cruises and that is the company's niche.

ace2542, just a few of my thoughts about this discussion ...

As of now, Cunard certainly intends to be operating four ships when the new ship is brought into service in 2022. Their press release announcing the new ship is titled "Cunard Will Add Fourth Ship To Its Fleet" and it states "The first time since 1998 that the luxury cruise brand will have four ships in simultaneous service".

As several others have observed in other discussions on this forum, the new ship as currently envisioned appears to be an MS Koningsdam knock off. As Host Hattie has mentioned, she will no doubt be a fine cruise ship, but I don't see her taking the place of QM2 in regular transatlantic service.

QM2's next refit is scheduled for 2020.

As you have indicated, a lot could change between now and 2022, but that's what the current situation with the new ship looks like to me for what that's worth.

Regards, John