Carnival ship aground off San Juan Harbor?

Looks like Glory is moving away. she's up to 5 kts. she has another anchor so she may be continuing on with her cruise to Grand Turk. Salvage crew may look for the anchor on the sea floor tomorrow and meet up later with Glory and get it fixed. Who knows. I wouldn't think they would sit too long in the middle of a cruise over a lost anchor when they still have another.

Looks like Glory is moving away. she's up to 5 kts. she has another anchor so she may be continuing on with her cruise to Grand Turk. Salvage crew may look for the anchor on the sea floor tomorrow and meet up later with Glory and get it fixed. Who knows. I wouldn't think they would sit too long in the middle of a cruise over a lost anchor when they still have another.

I can hear the CD: "Okay folks. We're on our way. We won't charge you extra for the little adventure we just had!"

How the heck does that happen? Isn't there a safety detent or something?

Yeah, someone has some explaining to do.

Sounds crazy that an anchor can just "accidentally" fall. Will be interesting to hear the actual account.

This is a post from someone else on FB.

I’m on the ship also and I believe the captain said that the anchor accidentally came down as we were off the shore. He didn’t say we forgot to pull it up or that it snapped and we can’t find it.

up to 14 knots now and has stopped turning and pointing right towards Grand turk. Pilot boat is returning to the harbor. looks like their just going to continue on and deal with getting the anchor later maybe?

Sounds crazy that an anchor can just "accidentally" fall. Will be interesting to hear the actual account.

I’m on the ship also and I believe the captain said that the anchor accidentally came down as we were off the shore. He didn’t say we forgot to pull it up or that it snapped and we can’t find it.

Glad it all worked out but guess they dont make anchors like they used too

I recall reading about a passenger on a HAL ship who was charged with releasing an anchor. He had apparently wandered into a restricted area and decided to play with some controls. Alcohol was apparently involved.

I recall reading about a passenger on a HAL ship who was charged with releasing an anchor. He had apparently wandered into a restricted area and decided to play with some controls. Alcohol was apparently involved.

I remember that, this is the cc article on that guy

he consumed three or four glasses of wine, a wine glass full of vodka, five single martinis, four double martinis, one-quarter of a two-liter bottle of Grey Goose vodka (that he stole from a closed bar) and an Ambien

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4251

How the heck does that happen? Isn't there a safety detent or something?

In the small boat world this actually happened more then you think. The windless can slip and if you don’t have the safety wire on it you can make a mess out of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When a ship prepares to go into restricted waters (like into port), or get underway, the anchors are prepped for instant use in case of emergency, so all of the "safety devices" are removed, and the anchors are holding just on their brake bands. Sometimes, if the bands are not tightened enough, severe vibrations, like when a ship gets going too fast in shallow water (the propeller wake bounces off the bottom and vibrates the ship), the windlass brake band can slip, and the anchor fall under its weight to the sea bed. It's embarrassing, but it does happen.

When a ship prepares to go into restricted waters (like into port), or get underway, the anchors are prepped for instant use in case of emergency, so all of the "safety devices" are removed, and the anchors are holding just on their brake bands. Sometimes, if the bands are not tightened enough, severe vibrations, like when a ship gets going too fast in shallow water (the propeller wake bounces off the bottom and vibrates the ship), the windlass brake band can slip, and the anchor fall under its weight to the sea bed. It's embarrassing, but it does happen.

Thanks the explanation! Makes a lot of sense now.

Thank you for the explanation. Very interesting and makes a lot of sense.