Amazing Cruise on Celebrity Xpedition

Host Anne

Thanks for a great review! We will be sailing on the Expedtion in November of this year - basically the same timeframe. I do have a few questions. How was the weather and water temperature? You mentioned a dietary need. Once the staff was made aware, were you pleased with the way it was handled both on land and during the sailing? Did you take advantage of the upgrade on the flight? What were the benefits? I appreciate the reminder about neutral clothing - I have a severe allergy to stings and am petrified of bees and wasps. In the past, others have mentioned they were a problem oboard near the hot tub - did you notice any? I'm sure I will think of more to ask and I value your input!

Water temps - walking along the beach in the surf, I was fine. But I knew it would be chilly snorkeling. They do offer wet suits and my husband and son-in-law snorkeled several times but my husband told me I would still have been cold so I skipped it. They did say there were some amazing sites like penguins zipping by you....

Food allergies - The staff was VERY good with the dietary restrictions. It's tougher for our daughter who has a dairy allergy but they did a great job for her for the most part. My son-in-law is gluten intolerant and that was easier. He did fine.

Air Upgrade - We took the air upgrade through the staff at the hotel. it was the difference between first class and coach at home. Larger seats, upgraded service. This was a "big" birthday for me so it was a "treat." :D

Bees - Wasps - Actually, I never even saw any bees/wasps on our cruise and definitely never saw them around the hot tub on the ship. But it could have been the time of year and where we were visiting. Long sleeve neutral clothing should definitely help according to the staff. I wore long sleeve rash guards every day with either swim shorts or normal shorts.

Feel free to ask additional questions at any times.

Thank you so much for your review! This cruise is on my radar for sometime in the next 3 years or so, I do have a question or two please:

1.Was the AC in your cabin adequate? I've read about some problems with AC on the Galapagos Cruises

2. Would shorts have been ok for dining at night time? I would prefer not to pack any if I don't need to.

Thank you for your beautiful photos! :)

Hi Cruise Kitty ~ the AC in our cabin was fine. Neither of us (hubby or me) remember it being a problem and I like to sleep "cool" at home. 69 is normally where have our air set at home.

Everyone wore shorts most of the time on the ship everywhere. In fact, we were lucky enough to dine with the captain one evening and some guys wore shorts that evening, too. That dinner was on the back outside deck, by the way. It is EXTREMELY casual. No need for anything dressy at all. In fact, when we go back, I'll take even less than I did on this trip. ENJOY!

Host Anne, thank you so much for such a in depth review. One of the best I have seen. I am taking a group of 10 on Xperience in March and was hoping to get some insights. I think most of what you said will also apply to XPerience. I had googled and your review came up. Then internet went out and I lost it. You have no idea how long I searched to find your review again. Great job!

Chris ~ thanks for the kind comments. I think Xperience may be even more casual is that's possible. You will LOVE it. It's a very special cruise and doing it with a group of 10 will make it even more so. Let me know if you have other questions. ENJOY!

Hi Anne, great review:D sounds like you and the family had a wonderful cruise!

LOIS !!!!! So good to "see" you! It's been way too long. We had a truly wonderful cruise. I wish experiences like this for everyone! I hope you are well!!!!

Hi Cruise Kitty ~ the AC in our cabin was fine. Neither of us (hubby or me) remember it being a problem and I like to sleep "cool" at home. 69 is normally where have our air set at home.

Everyone wore shorts most of the time on the ship everywhere. In fact, we were lucky enough to dine with the captain one evening and some guys wore shorts that evening, too. That dinner was on the back outside deck, by the way. It is EXTREMELY casual. No need for anything dressy at all. In fact, when we go back, I'll take even less than I did on this trip. ENJOY!

Thank you so much for your answers, & for your wonderful review! :)

LOIS !!!!! So good to "see" you! It's been way too long. We had a truly wonderful cruise. I wish experiences like this for everyone! I hope you are well!!!!

Hi Anne,:) I am doing ok....recently had surgery but recovering well.....are you and Andy still going on Edge with everyone 1 year from now?:D

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks Anne. We boarded the Xpedition today and so far it has been so much fun and we haven't even done any excursions. We are in cabin 406 and the WiFi works great. Tomorrow is 8:30am beach & snorkel tour and 3:30pm long walk for us. So excited for the next 2 weeks in the Galapagos and Peru with Celebrity!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That was very helpful, thank you! Looks like I'm going to need to buy a 5mm full length wetsuit. We are going this upcoming October for the 11 day trip. Does anyone know if there are some additional excursions afterwards?

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks Anne. We boarded the Xpedition today and so far it has been so much fun and we haven't even done any excursions. We are in cabin 406 and the WiFi works great. Tomorrow is 8:30am beach & snorkel tour and 3:30pm long walk for us. So excited for the next 2 weeks in the Galapagos and Peru with Celebrity!

Ha! I have 406 for our cruise, but it's two years away.

By the time we get on the Xpedition, there will only be 64 passengers as cruise lines are not allowed more than 164 passengers and the Flora will definitely be getting 100. I wonder if they are considering moving Flora to Silversea as that will be the luxury line for RCCL.

• 2 months later...

Wishing everyone sailing the Galapagos a wonderful journey. It is really tough to put into words what an incredible adventure this was. We hope to return someday and do the other loop. It's truly a special place. ENJOY!!!!

Host Anne - I'm wondering about your pre-cruise activities booked through Celebrity if you thought that was worth the value? I've been thinking about this type of cruise in the future and have no problems research / booking on my own, but wondered if you could share any thoughts you have as you reflect back.

By the way, thanks so much for taking the time to tell us about your experience and the trip as a whole. Very much enjoyed it.

Wishing everyone sailing the Galapagos a wonderful journey. It is really tough to put into words what an incredible adventure this was. We hope to return someday and do the other loop. It's truly a special place. ENJOY!!!!

Hey Ann, super review which I have only just read now. As you know I’m not long back from an amazing trip on a much smaller 16 guest luxury catamaran. I echo what you say. It’s an amazing place. On one of my photos I headed it "Where you don’t go up to the animals. They come to you" which kind of sums it up. Snorkelling with amazing fish, turtles and sharks and having sea lions come and spend s bit of time swimming with you. We were lucky enough to get up close and personal to Killer Whales although watching the plight of a sea turtle was a bit harrowing. Nature at its finest and most brutal. It was hard to keep the camera phone still!

Phil

VOb1qKoZGWE

Hey Ann, super review which I have only just read now. As you know I’m not long back from an amazing trip on a much smaller 16 guest luxury catamaran. I echo what you say. It’s an amazing place. On one of my photos I headed it "Where you don’t go up to the animals. They come to you" which kind of sums it up. Snorkelling with amazing fish, turtles and sharks and having sea lions come and spend s bit of time swimming with you. We were lucky enough to get up close and personal to Killer Whales although watching the plight of a sea turtle was a bit harrowing. Nature at its finest and most brutal. It was hard to keep the camera phone still!

Phil

VOb1qKoZGWE

Wow!! Very cool!

Sent from my iPad using Forums