Dress code in Japan

Sox Fan Cruiser

Is there any specific dress code while cruising in Japan? I know in Europe that they don't allow shorts in certain churches and such. Is it the same for temples in Japan?

What about walking around Tokyo? Are shorts normal attire?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Going to say it depends on your age. We were there during Golden Week and saw a variety of styles of clothing from miniskirts to full dress up.

Just did a quick review of some pics and did see people walking around in shorts at Kiyomizu-dera Temple in Kyoto. So I suppose most are going to be similar.

In cities, most people will be dressed for work with dark suits. We were in Japan in spring with cool weather, saw many rain coats, long pants or skirts on Japanese tourists, all in subdued colors. Young girls sometimes wore miniskirts with tights underneath. I don't remember seeing any shorts on young men, might have been the weather and the fact that they were either going to work or wearing school uniforms.

In Japan's bigger cities, only young children and teens wear shorts.

It is common practice for Japanese people to shine their shoes every time before they leave their homes.

Unfortunately the American "grunge look" is gaining popularity with the lower Japanese social classes.

In Japan's bigger cities, only young children and teens wear shorts.

It is common practice for Japanese people to shine their shoes every time before they leave their homes.

Unfortunately the American "grunge look" is gaining popularity with the lower Japanese social classes.

Ummm, I've got pictures of adults from April/May wearing shorts in Kyoto. While I am sure some of those that look Japanese may not be, I doubt all are.

Ummm, I've got pictures of adults from April/May wearing shorts in Kyoto. While I am sure some of those that look Japanese may not be, I doubt all are.

No doubt you are right. As I said, the American grunge look (looking like you are dressed to clean your garage) is quickly gaining popularity with the lower classes here.

It is likely to be very hot in June. At tourist site in Kyoto and Tokyo you are likely to see a lot of people( yes tourists) in shorts. Japanese don't really expect foreigners to follow their rules. I think it is fine if you will be more comfortable. It might be more frowned upon for Women but they have better more comfortable options anyway.

Hello. We live in Tokyo, and you will see people dressed in all sorts of ways during the summer months. Shorts, t-shirts and sandals are very common. Especially if you are on vacation, no one will think oddly of it.

Temples don’t have a specific dress code. Even shorts are okay. “Respectful” would be a good guideline to adhere to, so nothing too raunchy or disheveled and you will be fine.

Enjoy your trip!

Generally speaking, they dress more conservatively. But they are not like in Thailand where you can't show your shoulders, ankles, etc. You will be asked to remove your shoes at times when visiting shrines and temples, so I recommend taking shoes with good soles for walking that can easily slip on/off.