QM2 assists yachts in mid Atlantic rescue

Eglesbrech

The BBC news is reporting that 3 boats in distress mid Atlantic have been assisted and the stranded sailers have been taken onboard the QM2.

Well done to the coast guard rescue boats involved and Cunard for helping out in an emergency.

The BBC news is reporting that 3 boats in distress mid Atlantic have been assisted and the stranded sailers have been taken onboard the QM2.

Well done to the coast guard rescue boats involved and Cunard for helping out in an emergency.

Thanks for posting. I just found this story on the BBC web site.

Yacht crews rescued after Atlantic storm

Regards,

John

Well done to Captain Christopher Wells and crew. Being in a small boat in a vast ocean, and learning that help is coming to your aid must be an indescribable relief, and seeing the mighty QM2 coming into view must be a very welcome sight. I am so pleased that this potentially terrible incident has such a great ending for lone sailor Mervyn Wheatley.

Edited by pepperrn

Thank goodness it ended well. If the QM2 is full where would they put the sailors? With the crew or officers? Just curious.

The code of the sea is that they are entitled to grills cabins.

Joking - expect they take what is available. And are grateful for it.

According to Captain Wells, the rescued skipper was able to change into dry clothes and partake of afternoon tea with "proper scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam."

I'm sure he will have a lot more than afternoon tea before the QM2 arrives in Halifax on the 13th.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/sailors-rescued-mid-atlantic-vessel-distress-sailboat-race-newfoundland-1.4155026

According to Captain Wells, the rescued skipper was able to change into dry clothes and partake of afternoon tea with "proper scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam."

I'm sure he will have a lot more than afternoon tea before the QM2 arrives in Halifax on the 13th.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/sailors-rescued-mid-atlantic-vessel-distress-sailboat-race-newfoundland-1.4155026

What? No Champers???!!!

I'm sure he could be provided with formal wear from the rentals available on board. I've also heard that housekeeping maintains the "Forgotten Closet". These are unclaimed clothing items that were unwanted and left behind by passengers. The items are cleaned and made available to passengers whose luggage was lost.

Since his adventure has a happy ending, Cunard will undoubtedly consider his story good publicity.

This was truly the most exciting experience of our crossing. Just about everyone watched the rescue outside on the blustery sunny day, and then viewed the Q & A between the Captain, Cruise Director, and the rescued yachtsman. Moving experience and unlike anything I've ever experienced on any other ship or crossing.

I heard on a radio programme this week, the gentlemen who was reduced by the QM2, had previously spoken badly about why he doesn't like and would not ever consider doing a cruise holiday.

However, following his Queens Grill entertainment, and QM2's givings...he is now reconsidering his cruise holiday views...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am hoping for an Enrichment Lecture on our late July Westbound crossing on the rescue, perhaps featuring Captain Wells and also members of the QM2 fast rescue craft----must have involved a lot of skill and lot of practice.

David

Whatever the cost in terms of extra fuel, it has been returned many times over in terms of extra publicity.

And of course there was a legal obligation to assist regardless of cost.

David.

David.

quite correct with 25+years with SAR the first rule of the sea always applies, I am surprised that anyone would think otherwise.

David.

quite correct with 25+years with SAR the first rule of the sea always applies, I am surprised that anyone would think otherwise.

The article from "Beyond Ships" that Cwipes mentioned in post #19 above indicates that QM2 was not actually under legal obligation in this case because another ship (the bulk carrier Labrador) had already responded. Here is a quote from the end of that article.

"Furthermore, going to the rescue was a voluntary, selfless act. QM2 was under no legal obligation to go to the rescue. Inasmuch as there was already another ship on the scene, there would have been a valid excuse for declining the request."

I have no expertise whatsoever regarding maritime law or search and rescue protocols, so is that article incorrect concerning QM2's legal obligations in this situation?

Regards,

John