Thinking of a 2019 voyage on QM2?

Salacia

Thanks for the heads up, Salacia.

First of all, it should be noted that the deck plan link on the Queen Mary 2 page of cunard.com for "2017 - 2018 Cruises" isn't quite up to date. It is missing a few updates such as the "Photo Studio" that was added on deck 12 where the port section of "The Fairways" used to be. Here are links to the more up-to-date 2017-2018 deck plans along with the new 2019 deck plans to facilitate comparison.

Current 2017-2018: https://www.cunard.com/Documents/2017-18-deck-plans/QM2-deck-plans-2017-18.pdf

New 2019: http://www.cunard.com/Documents/2019-deck-plans/QM2-deck-plans-2019.pdf

I have been struggling to find the differences between these two sets of deck plans. So far all I have found is that ten of the Oceanview cabins on deck 6 (cabins 6013 through 6029) and six of the Oceanview cabins on deck 5 (cabins 5001 through 5006) no longer have the square symbol designating them as "3rd & 4th berths are two upper beds". I'm not sure what to make of that.

Regards,

John

I couldn't figure out the changes on my tablet and I'm not going to mother printing it. Did you see any differences?

Guessing there must be changes, otherwise there wouldn't be a different set of deck plans? I can't be right on what I'm seeing...CALLING BLUE MARBLE TO THE RESCUE :)

Guessing there must be changes, otherwise there wouldn't be a different set of deck plans? I can't be right on what I'm seeing...CALLING BLUE MARBLE TO THE RESCUE :)

Right on cue. See my previous post. I'll keep looking and check back in if I find anything more.

Right on cue. See my previous post. I'll keep looking and check back in if I find anything more.

Thanks bluemarble. It's the change in cabin categories I'm looking at with interest. :cool:

Three of the inside cabins forward on deck 9 (9012 through 9016) are also missing the square symbol for "3rd & 4th berths are two upper beds" on the new 2019 deck plans. I don't see any changes in cabin categories yet.

Edit: Also eleven of the inside cabins forward on deck 6 within the range of 6003 through 6030 are missing that square symbol.

Edited by bluemarble

Three of the inside cabins forward on deck 9 (9012 through 9016) are also missing the square symbol for "3rd & 4th berths are two upper beds" on the new 2019 deck plans. I don't see any changes in cabin categories yet.

Edit: Also eleven of the inside cabins forward on deck 6 within the range of 6003 through 6030 are missing that square symbol.

Thanks bluemarble. I'll take another look at the plans tomorrow after a good rest. (What was that category that proved so mysterious years ago? 'B' something?) -Cheers, -Salacia

The stateroom category legend has been modified for category Q7. The legend reads "Midships High Decks 8,9" on the 2017-2018 deck plans but it reads "Midships High Deck 9" and "Aft High Deck 8" on the 2019 deck plans for category Q7. The Q7 cabins on deck 8 are and still will be at the far aft end of the "Mid Aft" range of cabins, so this appears to be nothing more than a clarification in the legend.

Thanks bluemarble. I'll take another look at the plans tomorrow after a good rest. (What was that category that proved so mysterious years ago? 'B' something?) -Cheers, -Salacia

Ah, yes, Salacia. That was balcony category B5. On QM2 deck plans from 2006, category B5 was assigned to the obstructed view balconies on deck 8. Then a few years later, category B5 was assigned to the four aft-most sheltered balconies on deck 4 above the G32 night club and the obstructed view balconies on deck 8 became category A4. But for quite some time after that change, a lot of places (including cunard.com itself) still listed category B5 as having obstructed views.

Here is that headache-inducing thread from September, 2010, only a few months after we both joined Cruise Critic.

The difference between A4 and B5?

Regards,

John

I have studied the new 2019 deck plans some more and there are two more trivial changes to the Stateroom Category legend that I didn't spot before.

Standard Inside category IE is listed as "Forward/Aft High Decks 9,10 Low Decks 5,6" on the 2017-2018 deck plans. That has been changed to "Forward High Decks 9,10" and "Aft Low Decks 5,6" on the 2019 deck plans.

Single Oceanview category KC is listed as "Mid Aft Low Deck 3" on the 2017-2018 deck plans. That has been changed to "Midships Low Deck 3" on the 2019 deck plans.

I cannot find any differences in cabin categories. All I can find that could be considered substantive changes are what I previously reported above. The following cabins are no longer designated as "3rd & 4th berths are two upper beds".

Inside cabins 9012, 9014, 9016, 6003, 6004, 6006, 6007, 6011, 6012,6015, 6019, 6023, 6027, 6030

Oceanview cabins 6013, 6014, 6016, 6017, 6018, 6020, 6021, 6022, 6025, 6029, 5001, 5002, 5003, 5004, 5005, 5006

I suppose one might come to the conclusion that these cabins are being converted to two-passenger occupancy only in 2019. But I have nothing to support this conclusion other than what the new deck plans are showing. Anyway, that's all I have been able to find that's different on the new 2019 deck plans.

The following cabins are no longer designated as "3rd & 4th berths are two upper beds".

I suppose one might come to the conclusion that these cabins are being converted to two-passenger occupancy only in 2019.

How odd. Those ceiling mounted bunks are physically part of the room, so I can't imagine they will actually remove them. It's not like the sofa beds in the balcony cabins, where you might just replace the sofa with one w/o the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How odd. Those ceiling mounted bunks are physically part of the room, so I can't imagine they will actually remove them. It's not like the sofa beds in the balcony cabins, where you might just replace the sofa with one w/o the bed.

Suspect you are right they will leave the extra berths in situ but not sell them.

Since remastering, the ship carries more guests and more crew so perhaps it is a capacity based change? Ultimately capacity is not the number of berths but the number of spaces in the survival craft.

Looking at it on a purely financial basis it will be better to have a strategy to sell out all premium space and retire some of the less expensive berths, in other words if all or many of the current 4 person cabins were already sold at maximum capacity on a voyage it may reduce what they can sell further up the price range. So maybe a marketing driven adjustment of available inventory? Looks like they are readying deck plans for the spring 2019 and onwards programme.

I've no insider knowledge so just based on my thoughts on the changes to the deck plan.

M-AR

Suspect you are right they will leave the extra berths in situ but not sell them.

Since remastering, the ship carries more guests and more crew so perhaps it is a capacity based change? Ultimately capacity is not the number of berths but the number of spaces in the survival craft.

Looking at it on a purely financial basis it will be better to have a strategy to sell out all premium space and retire some of the less expensive berths, in other words if all or many of the current 4 person cabins were already sold at maximum capacity on a voyage it may reduce what they can sell further up the price range. So maybe a marketing driven adjustment of available inventory? Looks like they are readying deck plans for the spring 2019 and onwards programme.

I've no insider knowledge so just based on my thoughts on the changes to the deck plan.

M-AR

I'm wondering now if any of those inside or oceanview cabins I have listed above can actually be booked now for more than two passengers. I have tried doing partial bookings on about a dozen different QM2 voyages on sale now for 2017 and 2018 where cabins on this list show as available for 2 passengers but they are not available to book for 3 passengers.

Perhaps the new 2019 deck plans are just catching up with what is already the situation with these cabins. I like the theory that this change may have been introduced after the remastering project as an adjustment for the capacity increase from the new cabins that were added during the remastering.

Regards,

John

Edited by bluemarble

I like the theory that this change may have been introduced after the remastering project as an adjustment for the capacity increase from the new cabins that were added during the remastering.
I suppose it does help address how Cunard was able to add so many staterooms and expand BC dining without affecting Britannia capacity.

Ah, yes, Salacia. That was balcony category B5. On QM2 deck plans from 2006, category B5 was assigned to the obstructed view balconies on deck 8. Then a few years later, category B5 was assigned to the four aft-most sheltered balconies on deck 4 above the G32 night club and the obstructed view balconies on deck 8 became category A4. But for quite some time after that change, a lot of places (including cunard.com itself) still listed category B5 as having obstructed views.

Here is that headache-inducing thread from September, 2010, only a few months after we both joined Cruise Critic.

The difference between A4 and B5?

Regards,

John

oh, YES, I remember now - it was actually a lot of fun, that headache inducing thread. As a result,

we booked Cat B5 Guar just out of curiosity, and magically got upgraded to Britannia Club. Our table mates on the table for six were great company (we all did our own thing about when to dine, no times or seating pre-arranged, and it worked out just fine). Ah, those were the days :)

Anyway, thanks for your analysis of the 2019 QM2 Deck Plans. As always, your study of Cunard ships is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Salacia

Karl, Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but why cant they remove ceiling mounted bunks?

Thanks, -S.

P.S, Perhaps passengers in those cabins will take photos and share them, please.

My thought is, why would they bother removing them? Their objective is accomplished by only booking a maximum of two passengers in the room, and a passenger would be hard pressed to claim that the rectangular hatch in the ceiling detracted from their experience.

Karl, Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but why cant they remove ceiling mounted bunks?

Thanks, -S.

P.S, Perhaps passengers in those cabins will take photos and share them, please.

Salacia,

I have not actually been in one of the cabins with the 3rd and 4th upper berths. But I found this photo of an inside cabin from the "3,430 Photos of Queen Mary 2" sticky which I believe shows the rectangular hatches in the ceiling where those berths are stowed when not in use. I think you will agree they don't really detract in any significant way from the overall appearance or usefulness of the room for two-passenger occupancy that would justify Cunard going to the expense and commotion of removing them. Plus, I figure Cunard would prefer to keep their options open to possibly return those cabins to three- or four-passenger occupancy at some point in the future.

britannia-interior--v14205202-cc-1440.jpg

Regards,

John

Salacia,

I have not actually been in one of the cabins with the 3rd and 4th upper berths. But I found this photo of an inside cabin from the "3,430 Photos of Queen Mary 2" sticky which I believe shows the rectangular hatches in the ceiling where those berths are stowed when not in use. I think you will agree they don't really detract in any significant way from the overall appearance or usefulness of the room for two-passenger occupancy that would justify Cunard going to the expense and commotion of removing them. Plus, I figure Cunard would prefer to keep their options open to possibly return those cabins to three- or four-passenger occupancy at some point in the future.

britannia-interior--v14205202-cc-1440.jpg

Regards,

John

Hi John. Thanks for the photo. I had an incorrect mental image of those ceiling beds being like the ones on trains. But now that I see what they actually look like, yes - I agree with you that there appears to be no compelling reason to remove them.

Thanks again,

Salacia

My thought is, why would they bother removing them? Their objective is accomplished by only booking a maximum of two passengers in the room, and a passenger would be hard pressed to claim that the rectangular hatch in the ceiling detracted from their experience.

Ok, I'll take the bait.

Anyone who could open those ceiling beds would be able to store any number of substances there, undetected. But I'm sure Cunard security has already thought of that and those drop down ceiling beds are checked prior to embarkation, and prior to disembarkation. Perhaps even at port stops? I don't know - Maybe they are dead weight and a security concern. Or maybe just something not to be bothered about, as Underwatr suggested.

Ok, I'll take the bait.

Anyone who could open those ceiling beds would be able to store any number of substances there, undetected. But I'm sure Cunard security has already thought of that and those drop down ceiling beds are checked prior to embarkation, and prior to disembarkation. Perhaps even at port stops? I don't know - Maybe they are dead weight and a security concern. Or maybe just something not to be bothered about, as Underwatr suggested.

I would guess that they're locked shut with a lock and key.

I would guess that they're locked shut with a lock and key.

I think that's most likely - doesn't mean the locks can't be picked (like when my car was stolen several years ago - it too was locked.)

I don't get the security concern with unused bunks being potentially accessible to a determined passenger. How do you propose whatever it is that's being hidden up in the bunks gets onboard in the first place, and how is that situation different now than when the cabin was available for bookings of 1, 2, 3, or 4 passengers?

I don't get the security concern with unused bunks being potentially accessible to a determined passenger. How do you propose whatever it is that's being hidden up in the bunks gets onboard in the first place, and how is that situation different now than when the cabin was available for bookings of 1, 2, 3, or 4 passengers?

This is starting to sound like Monty Python's "Argument Clinic" rather than a discussion:). (For those who haven't see the skit, here it is - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y )

There are sites on the web that will give instructions on how to smuggle things onboard cruise ships if you're interested. Since Cruise Crititc isn't one of those sites, I can't answer your first question. As regards to your second question: when the overhead births were used (presumably with some regularity), the steward would open and close the bed on a daily basis. How often they are opened and checked now, I have no idea.

Lastly, I refer you to my post #21.

Salacia