Cabin Category's - Too Many?

Eglesbrech

I have just been looking at a list of cabin category's and in my humble opinion there are far too many of them. What was wrong back in the day with inside, outside, balcony, deluxe, mini suite and suite?

I can just about see the point of the above with the addition of aft, mid ships and forward.

The level of category's on some ships is now eye wateringly long with additional sub groups for locations and then the sofa / no sofa sets etc.

If people are booking select then they just pick the one they want anyway. If saver then there is seldom any correlation between to the cabin "grade" booked and where you end up.

I also feel that these categories have mucked about with "upgrades" on the rare occasion that they are available or gifted by the fairy. Again I am perhaps old fashioned but an upgrade to me is out of a balcony and into a deluxe or out of a mini suite into a suite. What it is not is a move to the same cabin 3 doors down thus moving from "midships forward" to the lofty heights of midships.

It must be particulalry annoying for new cruisers who don't understand that by leaving the upgrade option on they could lose their carefully selected cabin and be "upgraded" to one next to a lift, under the buffet or above the disco.

Thoughts?

If you book through a Travel Agent you have the option of ticking for a "category" upgrade; ie inside to outside, outside to balcony etc. I don't believe that this option is available when booking online though

If you book through a Travel Agent you have the option of ticking for a "category" upgrade; ie inside to outside, outside to balcony etc. I don't believe that this option is available when booking online though

You do actually have the option of choosing to have an 'upgrade' when you book online, but they are not always what you expect!

For instance, if you book a balcony cabin at the aft of the ship, the 'upgrade' you may get will only be to the centre, not to,say, a deluxe balcony or mini-Suite. However, if you booked one in the centre then you may well get 'upgraded' to a deluxe or mini-Suite. New passengers aren't always aware of this, so any reading this should take note. :)

A large number of different cabin categories makes it easier to increase prices. Notice than when ships get 'refits' they have a new set of deck plans which if examined closely may show the boundaries between cabin categories shifting by a cabin or two!. My favourite cabin location is a forward and maybe right next to the higher category. I am paying less for being 12 feet away.

I wonder if there is some psychology in there too. 'we are in a XX category and you are only in a X'. the cabins are identical of course.

I wonder if there is some psychology in there too. 'we are in a XX category and you are only in a X'. the cabins are identical of course.

Unfortunately you are correct. There do seem to be people in this World who think that if you have a slightly better cabin you are a better person than others! We nearly always have Suites, but I, and my husband, wouldn't dream of thinking we were any better than anyone else!

Do you know for certain that this is accurate, or just perhaps the TA bending the standard P&O upgrade info?

I think what we would all prefer is an upgrade option, rather than the current take it or leave it one, but presumably P&O have their reasons for the current system.

If you book through a Travel Agent you have the option of ticking for a "category" upgrade; ie inside to outside, outside to balcony etc.........

I can confirm this. Certainly through the high street TA that I use. Future cruises I have booked on Ventura and Azura are on C deck, so I don't want to be moved to another balcony cabin.

Sorry for doubting you laticmon, it does appear that both options are available at the time of booking according to the P&O site Q&A section.

Complimentary Upgrades

Occasionally, for operational reasons, it may be necessary for us to change the cabin that you have booked. Should this occur, rest assured we will move you to a more preferential cabin* within the cabin type booked i.e if you booked an inside cabin, you will remain booked in an inside cabin but in a more preferential location at no extra charge. These are called Automatic Upgrades and are allocated automatically.

If you only wish to be considered for an Automatic Upgrade, if it would result in an upgrade to a different cabin type you may make this distinction at the time of booking. If you receive a free Automatic Upgrade, please note that it is irreversible.

If you have chosen your booked cabin for a particular reason (for example to be in a specific position on the ship or to be located close to friends or relatives in your party) and do not wish to be considered for a Automatic Upgrade, simply let us or your booking representative know at the time of booking.

Please note, the opportunity of an Automatic Upgrade is never guaranteed and any cabin changes are made at the discretion of P&O Cruises. If you wish to pay to upgrade your cabin (from an outside to a balcony cabin for example), please call your booking representative.

*Preferential cabins are based on historic guest data & preferences.

A large number of different cabin categories makes it easier to increase prices. Notice than when ships get 'refits' they have a new set of deck plans which if examined closely may show the boundaries between cabin categories shifting by a cabin or two!. My favourite cabin location is a forward and maybe right next to the higher category. I am paying less for being 12 feet away.

Another point regarding an excessive number of grades is that people, often newer to cruising are likely to book by price, thinking another grade up is only £30 more or two grades is £70 more and therefore book this "far better cabin". Anyone who has cruised previously or read extensively herein will know this is nonsense. It does however subsidise the more savvy cruisers.

Regards John

Another point regarding an excessive number of grades is that people, often newer to cruising are likely to book by price, thinking another grade up is only £30 more or two grades is £70 more and therefore book this "far better cabin". Anyone who has cruised previously or read extensively herein will know this is nonsense. It does however subsidise the more savvy cruisers.

Regards John

I always try and book a midships balcony cabin and often the cabin next door might be a higher grade but same​ size.

I always try and book a midships balcony cabin and often the cabin next door might be a higher grade but same​ size.

I can understand the psychology behind this but would you be over the moon if you had been upgraded to the next, higher grade cabin? The cruise line have contrived a system of marginally more expensive cabins of the same type and sometimes they have a refit and reclassify cabin grades from a set sailing date. If you know this is scheduled are you on a better deal if your cabin that gets reclassified to a higher grade after your sailing and if your cabin is down graded from that date have you been done up like a kipper?

I think the best strategy is to book a cabin you like in a decent location, top grade in case you get an upgrade which will be of a superior type of cabin.

Regards John

I can understand the psychology behind this but would you be over the moon if you had been upgraded to the next, higher grade cabin? The cruise line have contrived a system of marginally more expensive cabins of the same type and sometimes they have a refit and reclassify cabin grades from a set sailing date. If you know this is scheduled are you on a better deal if your cabin that gets reclassified to a higher grade after your sailing and if your cabin is down graded from that date have you been done up like a kipper?

I think the best strategy is to book a cabin you like in a decent location, top grade in case you get an upgrade which will be of a superior type of cabin.

Regards John

Thanks.If i get the cabin i want i always state i do not want an upgrade because over 45 cruises i have come across exactly what you say.

I always book at least 8 months in advance on all cruise lines we sail with and i am always happy with my choice.

The last cruise I booked direct with P&O I was offered this option when I said I didn't want an upgrade as I had spent all afternoon deciding which cabin to choose! So it isn't a TA thing.

I do agree there are too many grade choices.