P & O Baggage Allowance! Disgusted!!

Sunseeker1664

Some people just can't/don't know how to pack - my mum for one! My dad said it was being in the Army that taught him to pack and travel light. I bless him and the fact he taught me his packing methods every time I pack for the family holidays.

If we were doing an ex-UK roundtrip sailing then I wouldn't hesitate to take a bit more, maybe an extra tux and some additional footwear - men's footwear does seem heavy, even shoes that are supposed to be lightweight - my black formal shoes for evenings weigh the same as three pairs of my wife's strappy shoes! Maybe an extra pair of shorts and a couple more casual shirts to save too many "repeats" and it also gets around the need to do some "holiday laundry" while onboard. On homeport sailings from So'ton we would take take two good-sized cases each.

Our short cruising history is a combination of fly-cruises and ex-UK so we have learned to pack accordingly. The more tricky ones are mixed-climate cruises - autumn departures from the UK to warmer climates - requiring cool weather clothes for the first 2/3 days before the warmer weather starts ...... and then if you are on a T/Atl assuming you are flying home from Florida or Caribbean, you have strict luggage allowances to keep within. Oh, the joys of travelling.

You say if P&O do away with formal nights, then you will sail with Cunard. Well watch out !! We were on QM2 in March, Sydney to HK. Some male pax were getting into Britannia Restaurant with tracksuit tops and jeans on formal and non formal nights. Some females were getting in wearing jeans and T shirts.Nothing was said by door staff.:evilsmile: Although I did see some stares from tuxed up diners. Same in the lounges and theatres. I think Cunard staff gave up on the dress code that cruise.

Probably not the Brit world cruisers sloppily dressed, more like those just doing the sectors from/to Australia/Asia.

Definitely "sector cruisers"

You can do it, I know you want to take a different formal dress for each night but sometimes we just have to compromise and accessorise something twice. We just did 2 weeks in the Caribbean and did it with 23kg each. We ended up with things we didn't wear so have noted what to leave out next time. The other thing we find is that you can pick up toiletries in boots after check in and put them in the hand luggage bag leaving more weight for the case. Boots even let you order in advance and just collect.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A question about ordering and collecting from Boots at the airport . . . I thought I had read somewhere that your one piece of hand luggage was strictly enforced getting onto tthe plane and duty free/shopping at airport had to be put inside your one piece of hand luggage?? Is that correct? Sort of defeats the object of buying at the airport. Only advantage seems to be that you can have larger liquids in your bag rather than put the weight in your case?

Or I suppose you could try and fit it in pockets? clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

Would have been good to leave all toiletries and order in advance / collect from Boots at airport.

Tracey

23KGS, is easily doable, we live in Cyprus and were staying in the UK after our Caribbean cruise last December, therefore we had to pack for both climates and we did it quite easily.

Of course it is. Many cruisers go over the top with the amount of clobber they take.:eek:

You’re in the Caribbean so hopefully you’ll need much lighter clothing anyway

It can easily be done

Plan your wardrobe in advance and mix and match

I usually take half my entire wardrobe just in case and only ever wear a fraction of it

Stop stressing you’re on holiday and everyone else is in the same position as you so I doubt anyone is going to really notice what you are wearing

Who on earth needs more than 23+5kg?!

23kg for a single item is the health and safety limit set by the airports so you're unlikely to find anywhere that allows higher unless you have multiple cases.

I regularly do up to 10 days hand luggage only. I've even been known to do 7 nights <5kg before. Granted, that wasn't for a cruise though.

I'm fully expecting my case to be ~17kg + hand luggage for my cruise. I just can't understand why you'd need any more than that?

I bet these are the same people who don't understand what "ONE item of hand luggage" means then get outraged when they have to squeeze their handbag in their case at the gate

P.s. I realise this is an ancient topic, but clearly it's still relevant

Surely it depends on the length of the cruise and pre and post cruise arrangements?

I don't know where you are getting your information from on airline baggage because many airlines offer 30Kg per bag in business or first and VAA offer 32 Kg in Upper. In Economy Qantas offer 30Kg, I know this because we are flying back from Sydney with them after our Arcadia Southampton to Sydney cruise next year. They also allow in addition to the one piece of 7Kg another item such as a small handbag or laptop bag which is quite generous for economy.

Trying to accommodate a 44 day cruise and then several days in Sydney with a 30Kg + 7Kg carry on is just about doable but I would struggle with 23Kg for such a long trip.

I roll most things bar tux and lounge suit, I've just had a trial run to see what you can actually get in and keep within the 23 kilo weight limit, in hubbys case, 10 underwear, 9pr socks, 2 shorts, 5 tee shirts, 2 swim trunks, dressing gown, gym gear, formal shoes, deck shoes, pool sandals and trainers. 10 casual shirts, 2 pr chinos, 1 pr lightweight pants. tux & 2 dress shirts, lounge suit & 2 dress shirts. Toiletries, suntan cream, half bottle whisky. Case at 20.3 kilos

In my case even more including 9 changes of outfits for evenings, lots of day wear, swimwear, gym gear, underclothes, dressing gown & nightie, 2 evening bags,2 pr evening shoes, trainers, sandals and pool shoes, toiletries, large medical case, and believe it or not an 8 pk of fevertree small tonics, (I buy the Gin on board but don't like paying nearly £2 for small tin of tonic) Case at 21.9 kilos.

It can be done, I rest my case. Viv x

I roll most things bar tux and lounge suit, I've just had a trial run to see what you can actually get in and keep within the 23 kilo weight limit, in hubbys case, 10 underwear, 9pr socks, 2 shorts, 5 tee shirts, 2 swim trunks, dressing gown, gym gear, formal shoes, deck shoes, pool sandals and trainers. 10 casual shirts, 2 pr chinos, 1 pr lightweight pants. tux & 2 dress shirts, lounge suit & 2 dress shirts. Toiletries, suntan cream, half bottle whisky. Case at 20.3 kilos

In my case even more including 9 changes of outfits for evenings, lots of day wear, swimwear, gym gear, underclothes, dressing gown & nightie, 2 evening bags,2 pr evening shoes, trainers, sandals and pool shoes, toiletries, large medical case, and believe it or not an 8 pk of fevertree small tonics, (I buy the Gin on board but don't like paying nearly £2 for small tin of tonic) Case at 21.9 kilos.

Don't forget your husband's bow-ties! You sound like quite an expert packer.

Don't forget your husband's bow-ties! You sound like quite an expert packer.

Yep they're in there, cufflinks as well. I've always tended to over pack for hols but I like to be able to pick and chose. It's surprising how much more you get in by rolling, If anything is badly creased I also tend to hang them in the shower-room while showering if I can, as the steam can help the creases drop out, but on the whole things come out of the case less creased when they are rolled.

Or you pack your case .........:D

You have done well, but may I ask why a tuxedo and a lounge suit ? OK Formal Nights it is Tux or lounge suit, but not both and no more 'jacket nights on P&O now.

Good to see you got the whiskey in though, drop the weight and take out either the tux or the lounge suit and you could make it a full bottle of highland nectar.

Just my two bobs worth.:halo:

Good to see you got the whiskey in though, drop the weight and take out either the tux or the lounge suit and you could make it a full bottle of highland nectar.

:whiskey-glass::whiskey-glass::whiskey-glass:<3(y)

Small cans of tonic are only £1.00 if you buy 10 from room service not sure where you got the £2.00 from.

Small cans of tonic are only £1.00 if you buy 10 from room service not sure where you got the £2.00 from.

It was Tin Soldiers post where he was asking about buying bottle of spirits on board for cabin use., someone posted a picture of drinks menu for in cabin, whilst Schweppes

was 10 for £10, Fevertree tonic which we much prefer was either £1.95 or £1.75 per tin, can't remember now, hence we'll buy the gin onboard, but packed a few tins of fevertree to start us off and hope I can pick some more up in Madeira, if not I'll bit the bullet and pay for p & o's fevertree.

It was Tin Soldiers post where he was asking about buying bottle of spirits on board for cabin use., someone posted a picture of drinks menu for in cabin, whilst Schweppes

was 10 for £10, Fevertree tonic which we much prefer was either £1.95 or £1.75 per tin, can't remember now, hence we'll buy the gin onboard, but packed a few tins of fevertree to start us off and hope I can pick some more up in Madeira, if not I'll bit the bullet and pay for p & o's fevertree.

I agree Fevertree is far better but one has to slum it at times. :)

I always have Fevertree when I Buy a G&T. I now go for one of the perfect serves from the gin menu. I do like the new one, Anderson’s.

I agree Fevertree is far better but one has to slum it at times. :)

I always have Fevertree when I Buy a G&T. I now go for one of the perfect serves from the gin menu. I do like the new one, Anderson’s.

Might give it a try x

You have done well, but may I ask why a tuxedo and a lounge suit ? OK Formal Nights it is Tux or lounge suit, but not both and no more 'jacket nights on P&O now.

Just my two bobs worth.:halo:

Just dropped the lounge suit, as told hubby he'd probably be only one wearing one, even although its a light-weight linen suit ideal for the Caribbean climate. Now don't encourage me, think once we get the Gin will have quite enough in cabin refreshments:D We maybe from one of the drinking capitals of the world, but don't want everyone to know;)

Just dropped the lounge suit, as told hubby he'd probably be only one wearing one, even although its a light-weight linen suit ideal for the Caribbean climate. Now don't encourage me, think once we get the Gin will have quite enough in cabin refreshments:D We maybe from one of the drinking capitals of the world, but don't want everyone to know;)

Way to go, now you are from the North East...The land of Newcastle Brown? @ 'Walking the Dog?' P&O stock that from memory.

Enjoy the cruise and booze.:halo:

Way to go, now you are from the North East...The land of Newcastle Brown? @ 'Walking the Dog?' P&O stock that from memory.

Enjoy the cruise and booze.:halo:

Now how did you guess!!!! haha:D daft thing is, hubby never touches the stuff, more a G & T and a malt whisky man. :eek: Better sign off, I've strayed this thread from the point, more importantly down to Manchester in morning for overnight stay to pick up transfer coach Friday yippie:):):)x

Now how did you guess!!!! haha:D daft thing is, hubby never touches the stuff, more a G & T and a malt whisky man. :eek: Better sign off, I've strayed this thread from the point, more importantly down to Manchester in morning for overnight stay to pick up transfer coach Friday yippie:):):)x

Cheers, don't worry too much about straying off the thread, have a look at Australian/NZ section, like the zig zag railway from Macchu Picchu to Cusco.:halo: