Cruise to Cuba

ranchette

Right now Carnival Corp has a line, Fathom that cruises to Cuba. Recreational travel to Cuba is still not allowed; has to have some sort of People to people experience. Fathom has that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by steph7021

Right now Carnival Corp has a line, Fathom that cruises to Cuba. Recreational travel to Cuba is still not allowed; has to have some sort of People to people experience. Fathom has that.

Suspect Fathom is not doing so well or we would be hearing a lot more about it. Would love to see Cuba but not at those prices.

I wouldn't even consider it until the Castro's are out.

I bet they are laughing their rears off, the Americans are willing to come do the work that they are not willing to do or pay for.

DITTO! I served in Gitmo. Don't want to return till the Castros' are nothing but a dull memory.

"SKY"

As a Cuban I am very torn about this. A part of me would love to be able to go back and see family I have not been able to visit for 40 years but on the other hand I would make me sick to my stomach to know that I would be putting more money In the pockets of those ****** castros.

fathom is doing just OK, better to Haiti than to Cuba (price is the reason and that variable is controlled by Cuba). All that said, as soon as it makes sense, Carnival will be all over Cuba with sailings. Last I heard was there was 15+ potential cruise port stops there. It remains to be seen when that will open up.It certainly will be on our bucket list, but lots to be worked out between now and then.

DITTO! I served in Gitmo. Don't want to return till the Castros' are nothing but a dull memory.

"SKY"

I'm with you on that statement, bro!

No Cuba for me until there are no Castros and/or the current communist regime.

Cuba libre!

Many humanitarian groups and churches have been going to Cuba for years. Partnerships between Cubans and Americans are addressing the needs of the Cuban people as best as they can for a long time now. The opening of the borders allows more of that work to continue. Yes, they need infrastructure and that is very corrupt but the Cuban people also have relational needs as they have been cut off from their families and most of the world. Fathom is short term mission work at best; it's more like the rich white uncle swooping in to make themselves feel better.

Cruise ports? Well, if the Cuban people were able to make better lives because of the ports then I would cruise recreationally to Cuba. I think that's a long ways away.

I wouldn't even consider it until the Castro's are out.

I bet they are laughing their rears off, the Americans are willing to come do the work that they are not willing to do or pay for.

But you're more than happy to buy goods from China. Okay.

China has a thriving economy, does Cuba?

Why does China have a thriving economy? Because of us and the fact that we are more than willing to overlook their human rights abuses because we want cheap goods.

The embargo has lasted this long because Cuba doesn't have anything we want. That, and political pressure ($$) from the Fanjuls.

Don't kid yourself, it's all about money. Not some high minded humanitarian principles.

Edited by Swampbabe

Why does China have a thriving economy? Because of us and the fact that we are more than willing to overlook their human rights abuses because we want cheap goods.

The embargo has lasted this long because Cuba doesn't have anything we want. That, and political pressure ($$) from the Fanjuls.

Don't kid yourself, it's all about money. Not some high minded humanitarian principles.

As is always is with any major decision..... no news there.

The question is money for whom? And I'm guess it's not the canecutters or the tres cubano players on the streets.

Fathom cruises are relatively expensive in terms of lack of any real cultural immersion you would expect from the ports and the "work excursions" versus what a more typical Caribbean cruise would offer for the same dollars .

Don't hang your hat on an Eastern European style reversion once the Castros die. They have created a very deep bench.

"SKY"

Yes, this exactly. I would love to see Havana but not until the Castro regime is gone.

And thank you for your service, Sky.

What does China have to do with Cuba. I don't understand your point here.

They both start with C?

I think the point is they both have oppressive governments not especially known for upholding human rights.

• 11 months later...
They both start with C?

I think the point is they both have oppressive governments not especially known for upholding human rights.

RIght. We can cruise to Russia which also has a communist government. Your tours there have to be cruise ship tours or private tours that are government approved. I do not see much difference.

Fathom has been closed. Carnival has cruises to Cuba and added more for 2018. I got this information from my PVP. I was told to get off the ship you have to meet requirements, but the best and easiest way to meet the requirements is book an excursion.