Hypothetical question

rooney9

I have just booked my seats on flight,fly cruise on britannia in February.I could not book premium as all seats were blocked,not booked just blocked ? this my first time with P&O and I cannot understand why you have to pay for two seats together in economy class.I have flown with Emirates,Thomas Cooke,Cathay Pacific, BA for cruises and never had to pay to sit together,unless I wanted an upgrade.Hypothetical question is,what would happen on a fly cruise flight if everybody turned up at the airport and no one had paid to pre book a seat,once all economy seats were allocated only premium would be left,surely they could not ask you to pay,you have booked a flight so they must provide a seat.Have a nice day.:cool:

I have just booked my seats on flight,fly cruise on britannia in February.I could not book premium as all seats were blocked,not booked just blocked ? this my first time with P&O and I cannot understand why you have to pay for two seats together in economy class.I have flown with Emirates,Thomas Cooke,Cathay Pacific, BA for cruises and never had to pay to sit together,unless I wanted an upgrade.Hypothetical question is,what would happen on a fly cruise flight if everybody turned up at the airport and no one had paid to pre book a seat,once all economy seats were allocated only premium would be left,surely they could not ask you to pay,you have booked a flight so they must provide a seat.Have a nice day.:cool:

The answer to your hypothetical imho is that they would do exactly as you have suggested.

I'm not sure what the policy is re premium seats, maybe someone can comment on this (I'm pretty sure it'll have something to do with suits).

meanwhile back to the real world...

If you show up having not booked seats and there are 2 unbooked seats next to each other on the plane, I'm pretty sure they will do their utmost to seat you and your partner together.

I remember one flight where a gentleman got quite irrate with the stewardess because he wasn't able to sit next to his partner.

All the premium seats get booked as soon as hey are released. They tend to be very popular. Also there are not that many of them. You do not get an upgrade if you are in a suite.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You don't necessarily have to pay to sit together - just to guarantee that you do. I have recently booked a Thomson cruise and that is the same - you can wait and have seats allocated at check-in but you can pay extra to choose seats together earlier than check-in.

I presume the premium seats were blocked because you have had to pay to upgrade before the seats are released.presumably if you have booked premium it is only premium that show?(perhaps economy are blocked?)

When we booked, our cruise had an offer on, book a balcony cabin or above and get premium flights for free.

Needless to say, we were booking a balcony so we booked then at 21 months out and I know someone tried to upgrade to premium flights about a year out and was told there wasn't any availability!!

Yes, that's right. They would all appear 'blocked' regardless of whether or not they are fully booked, because you have not booked premium seating with P&O. You cannot just upgrade yourself on the online seat booking website. (However in practice, they were probably all booked long ago.)

When we booked, our cruise had an offer on, book a balcony cabin or above and get premium flights for free.

Needless to say, we were booking a balcony so we booked then at 21 months out and I know someone tried to upgrade to premium flights about a year out and was told there wasn't any availability!!

'subject to availability' just like paying a select fare to get your dining preference which you might not as it is 'subject to availability'

I presume when you say 'premium' seats, you are referring to 'extra leg room / exit' seats in economy class? When you book a fly/cruise with P&O, you book your flight class at the same time (i.e. economy or premium). You cannot upgrade from economy to premium without contacting your Point of Sale and paying for the upgrade at that time (normally £150 per traveller, each way; return flight for 2 would be an extra £600 in total). Even if you were to do this, you would still have to pay to guarantee 2 seats together, regardless of class of travel. Or you could wait until check-in and see if 2 seats were available, gratis (this applies to both premium and economy).

Incidentally, most of the main scheduled carriers that you mention now charge for booking specific seats, unless you travel First Class when your seat is allocated when booking the flight in the first instance.

On booking the fly cruises with the carriers mentioned the TA asked if I wanted window or aisle at no extra cost,I suppose I have just been lucky and seated together I have only chosen specific seats when I have upgraded.I suspect it could work the other way and be seated apart because you have not paid.Sorry for any misunderstanding my mistake.As for not being a regular flier my first flight was in 1960 for my 11th.birthday and I have flown at least three time a year since 1970.

If your Britannia flight is on a Dreamliner in economy the seating is 3-3-3. In this case couples can't book two adjacent seats in the outer blocks that include the aisle seat. for example if the row is A B C you can't book B and C unless A is already booked.

On booking the fly cruises with the carriers mentioned the TA asked if I wanted window or aisle at no extra cost,I suppose I have just been lucky and seated together I have only chosen specific seats when I have upgraded.I suspect it could work the other way and be seated apart because you have not paid.Sorry for any misunderstanding my mistake.As for not being a regular flier my first flight was in 1960 for my 11th.birthday and I have flown at least three time a year since 1970.
I feel I should apologise about my reference to you not being a frequent flier. I only book flights direct with the carrier, and therefore am aware of the added costs of pre-booking seats. As you were booking through a TA you would not have been aware that you were being charged for choosing a seat, as you were probably not given a cost breakdown of your flight charges.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

There are few benefits to being deaf, but one minor advantage is that airlines must seat a deaf person with his or her companion whether you have paid for it or not. (This probably applies to all forms of disability, actually.)

That may be the policy of some airlines, but I don't believe it is a requirement.

I took a quick look at Ryanair's information, as they will do nothing over the legal minimum.

Being blind will get you a seat next to a companion free of charge, being deaf will not. It just gets you an individual safety briefing.

Being blind will get you a seat next to a companion free of charge, being deaf will not. It just gets you an individual safety briefing.

If they don't let you sit together, then they have to assign one of the cabin crew to pass on all important messages that come over the speakers. They find it a whole lot easier just to let you sit together.