Taking alcohol on board

Host Sharon

Perfect , Thanks Wowzz. Where was the original of that image produced?
No idea - provided by nice people on the fb site. I think that everyone who is booked on a cruise leaving after Jan 1st has received a copy by email. I did not receive one as I am off next week, and the new rules do not apply.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

No idea - provided by nice people on the fb site. I think that everyone who is booked on a cruise leaving after Jan 1st has received a copy by email. I did not receive one as I am off next week, and the new rules do not apply.

Great. Thanks. Which FB group is is people are talking about? I would like to check it out.

Hope you have a great time. We go on the Azura at the start of December.

Great. Thanks. Which FB group is is people are talking about? I would like to check it out.

Hope you have a great time. We go on the Azura at the start of December.

Not sure how long this post will last, as fb is not liked on here. There are fb pages for P&O cruises in general, P&O cruises in the Caribbean, and obviously pages for individual ships. These are all private pages so you have to apply for access. Worth doing - lots of information, although the conversations can get heated at times.

We are sailing on Aurora in January. In our Excursions brochure, which has just arrived, at the back where it gives all the information it states that the Code of conduct, including dress commences on 1st January, differing from the rules in the main brochure's terms and conditions. However, under Alcohol, the rules are the same as it's always been - P&O reserve the right to confiscate alcohol if the passengers appears to be the worse for wear due to alcohol etc. I had also read on the other site that the new alcohol policy commences on 1st February. So the World Cruise and Aurora's 65 night cruise will not be affected by the new alcohol rules. We don't usually take very much but it would have been a little more than the one bottle each so that's good news for us.

As long as the price and choice of alcohol whilst on board remains acceptable, then this restriction won't bother us. However if P&O start adding an extra 15% or 18% to each purchase, then that may be the end of P&O for us. :(

I don't think they will add on a percentage tip however I do think that ones the restrictions come in the drinks prices will start to creep upwards. I will be happy to be proved wrong in this.

I'm impressed with the number of level headed views being expressed on the subject of the new P&O alcohol policy. I think its quite true that those of us who have been cruising for a few years may not really be aware of the way the market is changing - and the cruise lines have to change with it. You only have to look at the increasing size of ships capable of delivering greater economies of scale to see this. I recall a Celebrity manager hosting us around one of their ships on a Southampton visit a while ago reminding us that "As long as our passengers want a cruise for £999, we'll have to keep trimming our offering all the time"'. Many of our cruises are long distance (50 days plus) to escape the British winter and they are very different to the usual one or two weeks (which we also enjoy). On the latter the passengers are usually younger, more energetic and liberal with their cash whilst on the former, the passengers are often older, more well-travelled ("We won't go ashore today Deidre, we've been here 10 times") and more cost conscious. That's not to say we haven't made lifelong friends and had great times - that's why we do it. The impact of the new P&O alcohol policy will be on the cabin 'party culture' which is a characteristic of longer cruises. Many evenings we are hosting friends in our cabin or drinking with others and the ability to bring cheaper drink aboard for this purpose is a real advantage. P&O have hitherto encouraged this by often issuing vouchers for passengers to buy a litre of spirits for in-cabin consumption in the shops every three weeks or so. None of this stops us drinking in the bars. But the world is changing and I'm not surprised that the policy is being tightened up. What I am rather annoyed about is the haphazard way it is being introduced. Usually such a policy would be introduced at the end of a cruise after a particular date as I think happened with smoking on balconies a few years ago. Starting a new policy on 1 February, which is halfway through a long cruise starting on 3 January, leaves too much room for confusion. No doubt some people will push their luck by trying to bring on gallons of alcohol at Southampton which may end in confrontation and angry scenes. Not a great start to anyone's holiday. And if they succeed - well, one characteristic of the regular P&O passenger is that they hate someone getting something more than they are! Maybe other things need attention , like rewarding loyalty for the money spent on the cruise rather than the number of nights aboard which can raise huge anomalies. I'm sure we'll happily cruise with P&O in the new circumstances but we will continue to cruise with companies who offer a more inclusive package - only if they spend more time at sea!!

I don't think they will add on a percentage tip however I do think that ones the restrictions come in the drinks prices will start to creep upwards. I will be happy to be proved wrong in this.

They already do but it is included in the price on the drinks menu unlike other cruise lines add on top of prices in menu. That is what makes prices for drinks even more reasonable and cannot understand the outcry by many about "jumping ship" and going to another cruiseline as there are not many as reasonable as P&O.

They already do but it is included in the price on the drinks menu unlike other cruise lines add on top of prices in menu. That is what makes prices for drinks even more reasonable and cannot understand the outcry by many about "jumping ship" and going to another cruiseline as there are not many as reasonable as P&O.

Yes I know, I meant the additional add on that you don't see on the menu like RCI etc.

People don't like change but it happens.

I found it amazing, how on fb, those of us that admitted to enjoying a glass of our own wine while sitting on our balcony enjoying some peace and quiet, were showered with venom and vitriol by so many self-righteous people. It as as if we had become the devil incarnate. These people seemed to take a really superior attitude, especially with their 'I make a glass of tonic last all night' comments.

What these folk seemed to forget, is that us balcony drinkers are also regular bar users as well, and we contribute much more to P&O profits than the tonic drinkers out there. Given the choice, which type of customer do you think P&O would prefer?.

I found it amazing, how on fb, those of us that admitted to enjoying a glass of our own wine while sitting on our balcony enjoying some peace and quiet, were showered with venom and vitriol by so many self-righteous people. It as as if we had become the devil incarnate. These people seemed to take a really superior attitude, especially with their 'I make a glass of tonic last all night' comments.

What these folk seemed to forget, is that us balcony drinkers are also regular bar users as well, and we contribute much more to P&O profits than the tonic drinkers out there. Given the choice, which type of customer do you think P&O would prefer?.

I think this change has a simple motive - to force those who like in a drink into the bars or the minibar by reducing the amount that can be drunk in the cabin (or in some cases taken into the bars !!)

I think this change has a simple motive - to force those who like in a drink into the bars or the minibar by reducing the amount that can be drunk in the cabin (or in some cases taken into the bars !!)

I'm sure you're right, although personally I would only drink my wine in my cabin.

More of an issue I believe, was the amount of alcohol being taken on board for the 3 or 4 day booze cruises. Would make my 4 or 5 bottles for a 24 night cruise pale into insignificance.

Just checked out a few cruise lines Alcohol policy's ...

Princess Cruises ..

As provided in the Passage Contract, guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.*

Cunard ...You may bring wine or champagne on board (over the age of 21) to celebrate special occasions. However if it is consumed in any of the dining rooms, alternative restaurants or bars then each bottle will be subject to a a corkage fee. We reserve the right to remove alcohol at the gangway if brought on board, either at embarkation or when in a port of call and will be returned to you at the end of your voyage. It is not our intention to invoke this policy as a matter of course and we will only implement on occasions where we consider it likely that the health, comfort, safety and enjoyment of passengers may otherwise be compromised.

Fred Olsen .... Please note that any alcohol taken on board your cruise ship, whether at embarkation, or during a port call, will be stored and returned to you at the end of your cruise.

CONDITIONS OF CARRIAGE - MARELLA DISCOVERY, MARELLA DISCOVERY 2, MARELLA CELEBRATION & MARELLA DREAM

20.3. The Carrier and/or its servants and/or agents will confiscate all alcohol brought on-board by passengers, with the exception of alcohol purchased on the outbound flight to the ship – proof of purchase will be required. Alcohol that is confiscated will be returned to passengers at the end of the cruise.

P&O Cruises ... Each guest aged 18 years and older may bring one bottle of the following; wine, Champagne, beer, spirit or liqueur (up to 1 litre in size) on board as they embark the ship for the first time only. Alcohol over this limit will be stored and returned to the guest on the last evening of the cruise, at no charge. There is no corkage charge for this bottle.

You’re welcome to buy bottles of alcohol at ports along the way, but you won’t be able to drink it while on board. We’ll look after it until your cruise comes to an end and return it to you.

Celebrity Cruises ... No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption. If you wish to bring personal wine onboard with you on the day you board your cruise, you may do so, limited to two (2) 750ml bottles per stateroom.

Just my thoughts on the above , I think all of them are restricted, unless you go AI with a couple of cruise lines . Worth noting that P&O are the only one that allow beer, spirit or liqueur (up to 1 litre in size) on board as you embark the ship. None of the other ships allow this.

Seems to be swings and roundabouts .. you pay's your money and you makes your choices .

Personally I will not base my future choices on a ships drinks policy unless they go raising bar prices to stupid money .

As always, a few people always push their luck and spoil it for everyone. To be honest P&Os stance on this was always going to change at some point especially in view of the scandalous ££ charged by their competitors for booze.

Its always nice to grab a bottle or two of fancy lager for the sail out whilst ashore but it is what it is.

Just checked out a few cruise lines Alcohol policy's ...

Just my thoughts on the above , I think all of them are restricted, unless you go AI with a couple of cruise lines . Worth noting that P&O are the only one that allow beer, spirit or liqueur (up to 1 litre in size) on board as you embark the ship. None of the other ships allow this.

Interesting that only Cunard say they don't intend to apply any limit on wine as a matter of course, and only Cunard and Princess allow wine to be brought on from a port of call. Princess seem to say that after the first bottle per voyage they will charge $15 per bottle to bring it on - and if it's spirits they will simply "discard" it - no mention of returning it at the end of the cruise.

This policy is now officially on the P&O website. No top ups at any port - 1 litre per person on embarkation.

All luggage to be scanned and checked as happens on other cruise lines with a come on down to reception.

No exceptions even on World Cruises and no sale of alcohol for on board consumption.

This was a big benefit that made up for poor quality in their offer of other services.

Time to walk away!!

This policy is now officially on the P&O website. No top ups at any port - 1 litre per person on embarkation.

All luggage to be scanned and checked as happens on other cruise lines with a come on down to reception.

No exceptions even on World Cruises and no sale of alcohol for on board consumption.

This was a big benefit that made up for poor quality in their offer of other services.

Time to walk away!!

I think they are still selling alcohol for on board consumption! Not much point having bars if you can't drink on board.

Time to walk away!!

Although I do agree that it helped compensate for some of P&O's other shortcomings, but not really a walk away issue, just yet.

Time to walk away!!

You can still buy bottles of alcohol on board for consumption in cabins via room service. As with the drinks prices in bars and restaurants, they are all at reasonable prices.

Whilst this policy change won’t affect us, I can understand that it will disappoint some, but I just don’t buy the arguement that people will abandon P&O purely because of this. From what I can gather, virtually every other cruise line charges more for drinks (especially when compulsory service charges are added) and drinks packages inevitably result in higher base prices or don’t represent good value unless you are a fairly heavy drinker. So those who throw their toys out of the pram may end up paying more if they vote with their feet.

Loads of people were going to abandon P&O when they banned smoking on balconies, yet they now sell twice as many cabins every week than they did when that change came in.

Seems like a lot of bluff and bluster to me. Just saying :)