Magnets and cabin walls

MoonlitOcean

Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster here. My best friend and I are booked on the Norwegian Gem together in March on our very first cruise, and I have a few questions to do with magnets and such.

1. I have read that since cabin walls and doors are metal, people like to decorate them with magnets and such. I think this is a great idea to help identify your cabin door in a long hallway, but how often do magnets get stolen? Also, do many people decorate their doors, or would we look silly?

2. What kind of magnets are best for pinning paperwork to cabin walls? We don't want to waste money on magnets that aren't strong enough, but we also don't want to spend a fortune on the fanciest ones.

3. Are magnetic hooks worth bringing? If so, what kind/brands would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for the info! Oh, and before you even say it, I've been lurking long enough to know that I can ask any and all NCL questions in the NCL subforum as well :)

We got our magnetic clips for notes/flyers from Staples.

We got our magnetic hooks for our caps/hats and sling bags from Home Depot.

You can visit their store or website for different types and price according to your preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As Scrapnana mentioned magnets don't work on all ships and even on specific ships not on all walls in all categories.

We use mainly light ones to hang up an itinerary spreadsheet I make and some other information such as restaurant reservations.

We get them from Amazon.Com

We also get photo holders that already are magnetized that we use on long cruises and have photos of our family.

Keith

We’ve had pretty good luck with finding at least one wall that is metal, but it’s not a 100% guarantee on every ship or every line. At least the magnets are small and easy to pack, so no problem if you can’t use them. We find a lot of uses for the hooks, especially.

We don’t decorate our door, but some people do. I would think that if you had really nice magnets on your door, they might prove irresistible, and get stolen.

I've never had a problem with magnets not working on walls, but we have sailed mostly on Royal.

We decorated our parents' door once for their 50th anniversary -- had the concierge help sneak me up to their suite as soon as we boarded so I could put a blow up of their wedding pic and some 50th signs on their door. They got a lot of well wishes while coming and going.

We decorated our door during the holidays last year by hanging a sign from a magnetic hook that said "Knock if you have presents." Though more people decorated during the holidays than a usual cruise (some even covered the whole door with wrapping paper) most people did not. Our sign was not stolen. It does sometimes look silly. Who cares? It is definitely easier to spot your room.

Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster here. My best friend and I are booked on the Norwegian Gem together in March on our very first cruise, and I have a few questions to do with magnets and such.

1. I have read that since cabin walls and doors are metal, people like to decorate them with magnets and such. I think this is a great idea to help identify your cabin door in a long hallway, but how often do magnets get stolen? Also, do many people decorate their doors, or would we look silly?

2. What kind of magnets are best for pinning paperwork to cabin walls? We don't want to waste money on magnets that aren't strong enough, but we also don't want to spend a fortune on the fanciest ones.

3. Are magnetic hooks worth bringing? If so, what kind/brands would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for the info! Oh, and before you even say it, I've been lurking long enough to know that I can ask any and all NCL questions in the NCL subforum as well :)

1. Caught some kids who were definitely old enough to know better making off with some of our door magnets on one cruise. Eventually transpired I discovered they just wanted a few magnets to hold up drawings they'd made in the kids club. Luckily our door magnets are just bits I cut from a roll so I was able to give them a few magnets of their own. Other than that no problems.

2. I bought a cheap roll of magnetic tape roll at Wally World for under $3. I cut off some pieces about an inch long to hold paperwork in our cabin on the wall. If one isn't enough just keep adding more pieces until it holds. One piece will hold a couple of pages with no problem usually.

3. I sprung for 6 magnetic hooks with 25 pound limit. I thought I'd probably wasted my money but they've seen a lot of use. Great for hanging wet items in the bathroom - why are there never enough hooks in there for bathing suits? :rolleyes:

I also use one each night to set up my tote for the next day if we're going onshore and my spouse hangs our charging cell phones in a little holder in another. Helps keep the desk cleared.

Since this is your first cruise I'd say just grab some of the cheap magnetic tape unless you've already got a few magnets on the fridge you can take with you. No need to spend much until you see if cruising is for you. Happy cruising! :)

I would highly recommend any magnet that is Neodymium in nature. Only problem? They are so damned strong that it is sometimes hard to get them to "break away". :cool:

• 2 years later...

We bought these magnet hooks from Amazon for our redent Panama Canal Cruise, and  they were wonderful.  We hung hats, sweaters, and the daily newsletter on the walls of our cabin.  It really kept everything tidy and handy.  They are now a permanent part of my cruise packing essentials!  My daughter also used them on Carnival to hang streamers for her husband's birthday celebration, and she said they worked very well and made decorating a snap.  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0787Q54M1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

12 minutes ago, Splashduo said:

We bought these magnet hooks from Amazon for our redent Panama Canal Cruise, and  they were wonderful.  We hung hats, sweaters, and the daily newsletter on the walls of our cabin.  It really kept everything tidy and handy.  They are now a permanent part of my cruise packing essentials!  My daughter also used them on Carnival to hang streamers for her husband's birthday celebration, and she said they worked very well and made decorating a snap.  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0787Q54M1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Are they really strong magnets? I'm thinking we could use them in our RV.

I was surprised at how strong they are!  My husband kept his hooded sweatshirt hanging on one by the door.  We both kept our hats on them too---otherwise, we would forget to take them.  Each day you get a multiple page newsletter from the captain and we put them under a magnet for quick reference.  They are far stronger than a refrigerator magnet.  

• Thanks 1

Question why do you need magnets ???

Never used them... and see no reason to do so......

that is why they have a wardrobe and a desk in the cabin

Or is it the people who use magnets are the same people

who's fridge door it cover in stuff held on with magnets...... 

Cheers Don

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Question why do you need magnets ???

Never used them... and see no reason to do so......

that is why they have a wardrobe and a desk in the cabin

Or is it the people who use magnets are the same people

who's fridge door it cover in stuff held on with magnets...... 

Cheers Don

We never used magnets on a cruise ship.At home every space on the fridge is covered by magnets.That is Mrs.66’s thing,not mine.

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

We never used magnets on a cruise ship.At home every space on the fridge is covered by magnets.That is Mrs.66’s thing,not mine.

What we have done Lenny is put a large notice board in the kitchen..... We call it our board of memories... it is covered with tickets, receipts. brochure from places we have visited..

while on holidays....

Oh the our fridge is as it.... at the moment

Cheers Don

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

There's a big difference between refrigerator magnets and the type referenced here.

We have learned that if the magnets won't stay on the walls, you can put them on the ceiling.  If you have a connecting door, you can put them around the door jamb.  We also had some shelves that have metal sides or fronts that will take a magnet.

• Like 1