drinks package on Azura

I agree, I would always have a double measure spirit so this rule is really putting me off, tied in with the tonic for my wife.

If I remember correctly when we were on Royal Caribbean, if a drink was over the limit (ie £6.95 in P&O's case) you just paid the difference, not only get 20% off, so much better in my opinion.

Having said that, doing some sums, I reckon by taking the package we would save close to £40 a day by taking the package.

You say that you would save £40 per day by taking the package. That would mean you spend £120 a day on drinks, really! :eek:

That would take some doing at P&O prices.

You say that you would save £40 per day by taking the package. That would mean you spend £120 a day on drinks, really! :eek:

That would take some doing at P&O prices.

FangedRose, you beat me to it !!!

I was going to say the very same thing.:eek::eek:

I guess it does seem a bit shocking to some but here is a rough calculation:-

Costa Coffee - at least £12 a day (sorry we don't like the coffee in the room or in the dining room)

Water - about £14 a day (so that's about 2L each)

Drinks during the day, including pre-dinner - about £35 (beers and cocktails)

Wine with dinner - £25 (a couple of glasses each)

Evening drinks - about £35 (beers, cocktails etc)

That's getting no where near the 15 alcoholic drinks per person per day either.

From past cruise experiences and chatting to people, I know I am above average in drinks consumption, but I know many folks that would drink much more than this.

Costa Coffee - at least £12 a day (sorry we don't like the coffee in the room or in the dining room)

From past cruise experiences and chatting to people, I know I am above average in drinks consumption, but I know many folks that would drink much more than this.

Do the above calculations include days at port because if you drink less than above when in port and off the ship then you would have to drink even more on sea days to make up the difference.

Do the above calculations include days at port because if you drink less than above when in port and off the ship then you would have to drink even more on sea days to make up the difference.

On port days we don't usually spend a lot of time ashore 2-3 hours, so the calculations are about right, but yes if you go off the ship for the whole day then you would drink less onboard.

When looking at other cruise lines and drink packages it was coffee and water that always helps tip the balance.

Whilst drink prices on P&O are reasonable it doesn't take much to add up 4 Cocktails £24, 2 Glasses of Wine £14, add a couple of coffees and some water you are over £40

On port days we don't usually spend a lot of time ashore 2-3 hours, so the calculations are about right, but yes if you go off the ship for the whole day then you would drink less onboard.

When looking at other cruise lines and drink packages it was coffee and water that always helps tip the balance.

Whilst drink prices on P&O are reasonable it doesn't take much to add up 4 Cocktails £24, 2 Glasses of Wine £14, add a couple of coffees and some water you are over £40

I think you are over estimating costs of coffee and water. On my last cruise (April) a coffee card for 10 coffees cost £22, and if you bought 5 large bottles of water you got one free (sorry can't remember cost as I didn't buy it). Most wines are far cheaper than £7 for a standard glass (if that is what your favourite tipple does cost it won't be covered by the package). And we don't know whether large glasses of wine are included.

I think you are over estimating costs of coffee and water. On my last cruise (April) a coffee card for 10 coffees cost £22, and if you bought 5 large bottles of water you got one free (sorry can't remember cost as I didn't buy it). Most wines are far cheaper than £7 for a standard glass (if that is what your favourite tipple does cost it won't be covered by the package). And we don't know whether large glasses of wine are included.

The package doesn’t restrict by volume ie pint or half pint - small glass large glass - it restricts by price (£6.95), double measures and bottles mixers

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The package doesn’t restrict by volume ie pint or half pint - small glass large glass - it restricts by price (£6.95), double measures and bottles mixers

Hi, somebody posted this link on another thread, it says double measures are excluded.

https://carnivaluk.metafaq.com/resources/carnivaluk/life-on-board/PO_UltimateDrinksPackage.pdf

We drink a lot of water as well, but never pay for it. The chilled water, which is plentifully provided free of charge in all restaurants and buffets, is absolutely fine. Take off the unnecessary cost of that and it's a different picture.

As a general point, those convincing themselves that £80 per day per couple is worth paying seem to be doing so by totting up potentially slightly inflated prices and then thinking that they can achieve that volume. As many have said, there are days when it will be far harder to do than others.

But above all, the thing that I still struggle to get my head around is why anyone would even remotely consider this package unless by doing so they would SAVE a lot of money. A small saving wouldn't sway it for me, due to the restrictions (e.g. we have doubles, such as the Andersons Perfect Serve and like bottled tonics such as Fever Tree), so unless we were going to spend say £100 a day per couple, I can see no meaningful advantage as the restrictions would outweigh the saving. With P&O drink prices being so reasonable, there is no way on God's earth that we could spend that much each and every day.

There is also absolutely no convenience factor at play, as you will still just present your cruise card as normal every time that you order a drink and will still just have one bill to settle at the end of the cruise, regardless of whether you take the package or not.

The use of OBC to 'lessen the cost' is a red herring. It's still your money and can be used for a multitude of other things (even by those taking the package, for the 'upgrades' that it will be difficult to avoid).

It matters not a jot to me whether people take it or not, but I do feel that the requirement to commit to the package by the end of day 2 is a clever ploy to panic people into accepting it prior to a port day and before people realise that they won't derive sufficient benefit every single day and could well be worse off by taking it. I have a feeling that a lot of people will buy in haste and repent at leisure!

I can, however, see that it might work out OK for families with 2 or more children aged 16 or under, where a kids drinks package is included free of charge.

We drink a lot of water as well, but never pay for it. The chilled water, which is plentifully provided free of charge in all restaurants and buffets, is absolutely fine. Take off the unnecessary cost of that and it's a different picture.

As a general point, those convincing themselves that £80 per day per couple is worth paying seem to be doing so by totting up potentially slightly inflated prices and then thinking that they can achieve that volume. As many have said, there are days when it will be far harder to do than others.

But above all, the thing that I still struggle to get my head around is why anyone would even remotely consider this package unless by doing so they would SAVE a lot of money. A small saving wouldn't sway it for me, due to the restrictions (e.g. we have doubles, such as the Andersons Perfect Serve and like bottled tonics such as Fever Tree), so unless we were going to spend say £100 a day per couple, I can see no meaningful advantage as the restrictions would outweigh the saving. With P&O drink prices being so reasonable, there is no way on God's earth that we could spend that much each and every day.

There is also absolutely no convenience factor at play, as you will still just present your cruise card as normal every time that you order a drink and will still just have one bill to settle at the end of the cruise, regardless of whether you take the package or not.

The use of OBC to 'lessen the cost' is a red herring. It's still your money and can be used for a multitude of other things (even by those taking the package, for the 'upgrades' that it will be difficult to avoid).

It matters not a jot to me whether people take it or not, but I do feel that the requirement to commit to the package by the end of day 2 is a clever ploy to panic people into accepting it prior to a port day and before people realise that they won't derive sufficient benefit every single day and could well be worse off by taking it. I have a feeling that a lot of people will buy in haste and repent at leisure!

I can, however, see that it might work out OK for families with 2 or more children aged 16 or under, where a kids drinks package is included free of charge.

A drinks package seems such a big deal on this forum but actually has been common place across cruise lines for some time and people are used to weighing up the pros and cons and doing what will suit them - to each his own!

You’d also have a job taking glasses of water ashore?

A drinks package seems such a big deal on this forum but actually has been common place across cruise lines for some time and people are used to weighing up the pros and cons and doing what will suit them - to each his own!

I have no issue whatsoever with the concept of 'each to his own', and people are of course free to do as they wish. As I have said, those with multiple young children may indeed find it a good deal. My concern is that some are weighing up the pros and cons using potentially inaccurate assumptions (e.g. thinking drinks prices are more than they are), inexperience (perhaps not realising that the opportunity to drink alcohol - and the inclination to do so - lessens on port days) and without full consideration of how the restrictions might make the package less desirable than they think. Fundamentally though, I stand by my comment that even if you think you will break even on this package, where is the benefit given all the restrictions? Surely you need to save a wedge of money to make it worthwhile? If so, then fill your boots, but I think many will wish by the end of the cruise that they hadn't. But, as you say, each to his own.

Where do glasses come into it? We just refill the small bottles that are provided in the cabin, free of charge. Simple.

Oh ok - from the buffet? Yes you could do that of course.

I have no issue whatsoever with the concept of 'each to his own', and people are of course free to do as they wish. As I have said, those with multiple young children may indeed find it a good deal. My concern is that some are weighing up the pros and cons using potentially inaccurate assumptions (e.g. thinking drinks prices are more than they are), inexperience (perhaps not realising that the opportunity to drink alcohol - and the inclination to do so - lessens on port days) and without full consideration of how the restrictions might make the package less desirable than they think. Fundamentally though, I stand by my comment that even if you think you will break even on this package, where is the benefit given all the restrictions? Surely you need to save a wedge of money to make it worthwhile? If so, then fill your boots, but I think many will wish by the end of the cruise that they hadn't. But, as you say, each to his own.

I think wine and beer drinkers who like a cocktail or two during the day and a decent coffee will benefit. Those who like their bottled mixers and have to have a double measure of spirits may not - you’ll weigh the costs

Port days are not a big deal for us we mainly drink soft drinks with bottled water and a cocktail in the afternoon (or 2) and don’t usually spend the whole day ashore.

We’re always going to spend more money whether that be on trips/food and drinks ashore etc but it will benefit us as we drink wine and beer mostly so restrictions won’t apply - we’ve done the sums and been on enough cruises with packages to be able to make an informed decision

Oh ok - from the buffet? Yes you could do that of course.

No, that is strictly prohibited. They are worried about people contaminating the spouts of the dispensers with unwashed bottle mouths.

You fill them in your cabin, put them in the fridge overnight, and you have chilled water in a bottle!

Let me nip any comments in the bud. It is the same water. The only difference between cabin water and dining room water is temperature and ice (which is also made from the same water).

No, that is strictly prohibited. They are worried about people contaminating the spouts of the dispensers with unwashed bottle mouths.

You fill them in your cabin, put them in the fridge overnight, and you have chilled water in a bottle!

Let me nip any comments in the bud. It is the same water. The only difference between cabin water and dining room water is temperature and ice (which is also made from the same water).

Yes I’ve heard you could even drink the toilet water - I kid not, but on another forum.

Yes I’ve heard you could even drink the toilet water - I kid not, but on another forum.

Well, it is the same water. Comes from same place as the tap water. They don't have two separate systems.

I would check that it has not been used since the last flush :eek::eek:And would be wary of any cleaning products which had been used.

At home the water in the cistern comes from the same water main as the water which comes out of the tap.

Yes, that’s what we do. Filling bottles in the buffet is a Norovirus dream (as are a lot of aspects of the buffet TBH). I find that straight out of the cabin taps the water tastes horrid, but left in the fridge to chill overnight and the funny taste has gone entirely.

Having read through all the comments with interest. It's good to see P&O are willing to give it a trial as I know so many people have demanded it. Having done 5 cruises with P&O however I cannot see their loyal clientele going with this package as don't see many massive drinkers. As mentioned you aren't forced to take it and be good to hear feedback from those that have done it in the coming weeks. At first glance I wouldn't get huge value from it but we tend to get lots of OBS.

1 X Costa £2.50

6 X Beers £24

2 X glass wine dinner £13

1 X Cocktail £6.95

When I did these simple sums I spend roughly £45 a day and if I meet a few people in the evening and stay up later it can be more. However if i bought the package it would encourage me to drink more to ensure I was getting value and to be honest I'm happy doing what I do currently.

If I was on Azura next week I'd probably do day one and note what I spent before deciding day 2. By the way you pay per day so you don't miss out if you buy start of day 2 as you would only pay for days left on cruise and not for the cruise nights as advertised.

On Azura recently, many people were filling mugs with water from the dispensers in the buffet and decanting it into their empty water bottles. It might be prohibited, but not a soul was stopping these people from doing this.

Assuming that they were using clean mugs, this would eliminate any contamination issue, so there wouldn't be a need to stop them. The issue (and risk) is when people place bottles etc that they have already had to their mouth's up against the dispenser.

Assuming that they were using clean mugs, this would eliminate any contamination issue, so there wouldn't be a need to stop them. The issue (and risk) is when people place bottles etc that they have already had to their mouth's up against the dispenser.

There is nothing wrong with using a clean mug and not touching the tap and I agree the water via the bathroom taps is safe, but as a fussy water drinker, I never drink from a bathroom tap not even at home. The source is indeed the same, but the route from the source through the pipes to the tap is very different and to me, the taste is very different and unpleasant. But yes, it is safe to drink.