Can we really dress up on formal nights?

Kat19702

DW and I always dress up for formal nights . I have a vintage James Bond white tux for Caribbean cruises. We always get a formal portrait taken , no selfies for us , and hang our portrait on the "Cruise Wall" in our dining room.

Thank you everyone for your responses! We are still finalizing our destination, but I guarantee we will be dressing to the nines. You all have made me feel very comfortable about that!

10828987125_c9d28e5512.jpg

Enjoy.....:):):)

Bob

My husband and I are hoping to dress up as in formal gown and tuxedo. It seems most of the cruise lines are very lax and most people prefer casual wear to the extreme that even jeans are acceptable on chic or formal nights. Can we dress up and not feel out of place on a Princess cruise? If so, which ship is best for this?

Go for it! Love dressing up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My husband and I are hoping to dress up as in formal gown and tuxedo. It seems most of the cruise lines are very lax and most people prefer casual wear to the extreme that even jeans are acceptable on chic or formal nights. Can we dress up and not feel out of place on a Princess cruise? If so, which ship is best for this?

I think on formal night many people do still like to dress up. Yes, unfortunately, as cruise line have broaden their demographics, the cost to check bags with the airlines and a more casual society their has a been a vigorous push by some to reduce or eliminate formal nights. That being said you can certainly dress to the nines all you want and you shouldn't feel out of place on Princess. Enjoy.

It is a great pleasure for me on formal nights to see people dressed in their finest. We don't do the gown and tux thing any more, but I sure love seeing those that do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we are on a week cruise on Princess we always dress to the max. Hubby wears his tux and I wear a long fancy formal. It is our once or twice a year we get all dressed up!

I wear my tux every formal night

I do as well. As often as not have seen kids better dressed than parents. One 6 year old boy on last cruise had a tie on every night and a tux on formal nights. We don't get much chance to dress up at home so we use formal nights as an excuse. Besides, a tux was actually cheaper than replacing my old suit.

I agree with someone else that responded to book one of the specialty dining restaurants on the form nights!

I am not sure what ship you have been on but we always book at least one formal night in a specialty restaurant so that we do not have to dress in "formal" wear. I have noticed that some there will be in formal wear but most of the ones I personally have seen are not wearing formal wear of any kind. So not sure why one would want to go to a specialty restaurant and want to have others in formal wear. Incidentally I have seen pax in formal wear in the HC on formal night which really surprised me.

I am not sure what ship you have been on but we always book at least one formal night in a specialty restaurant so that we do not have to dress in "formal" wear. I have noticed that some there will be in formal wear but most of the ones I personally have seen are not wearing formal wear of any kind. So not sure why one would want to go to a specialty restaurant and want to have others in formal wear. Incidentally I have seen pax in formal wear in the HC on formal night which really surprised me.

My DH dressed in a Tux and i have eaten in the HC on formal night they had some really great selections, like frog legs, oysters also cold lobster.

Incidentally I have seen pax in formal wear in the HC on formal night which really surprised me.

We ate next to someone dressed in a tux in the Horizon one time & he said he thought the dress code applied to everywhere on the ship and was going to change right after eating.

Edited by floridalover5623

We too love to dress up for formal night. Makes going on a cruise more exciting when planning what "I" get to wear and to match my DH tie.

My DH and DS both will wear tux's (both have the white and black tux) with the awesome "spec" shoes.

Last cruise we were greeted by the maitre'd saying how wonderful it was to see man in those shoes.

And yes we too go to the buffet all dressed up as well. Great selection.

Thanks for asking this question! Our first cruise is 10 months away and I am looking forward to dressing up (I bought a tux for the cruise even). But with allll the other threads about formal nights, I was worried that I would feel out of place. It sounds like it'll be just fine. I know there are the people who say wear what you want, don't let how other people dress affect your enjoyment. But if I'm the only person in a tux in a room of casual, I'll feel out of place. It's like being invited to a party but the practical joker of a host tells you it's a costume party ;)

We just got back from a Rome to Barcelona cruise. My husband was in his tux on both formal nights and I had cocktail dresses. Many tuxes and fancy dresses. Of course some not but many were dressed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can dress as formally as you like and not feel out of place but Princess also allows those people that don't wish to follow the formalists choice to dress down quite a bit & still eat in their dining rooms on formal evenings.

The choice is yours.

Thanks for asking this question! Our first cruise is 10 months away and I am looking forward to dressing up (I bought a tux for the cruise even). But with allll the other threads about formal nights, I was worried that I would feel out of place. It sounds like it'll be just fine. I know there are the people who say wear what you want, don't let how other people dress affect your enjoyment. But if I'm the only person in a tux in a room of casual, I'll feel out of place. It's like being invited to a party but the practical joker of a host tells you it's a costume party ;)

You certainly will not be alone but will be in the minority. So dress up as much as you want and enjoy your cruise. I was a bit surprised about the comments of seeing formal dress in the HC. I was on one cruise and knew this couple who dressed formal, ate in their stateroom and spent the rest of the night mostly in the piano bar in their formal clothing. At that point pax were wearing everything from shorts and more. It was a caribbean cruise. Point is that they enjoyed themselves.

Dress as you like. I wear a gown and put my hair up, hubby wears dress shirt and slacks (had neck cancer so not good for ties, etc....many do not think about that stuff).

Be prepared....many times in elevators we have had the groups, I think 50's or something and they do not get dressed up at all...no problem for us, but they have made comments on the way to the dining room with us and others dressed up that...is it prom...did we miss something...doesn't matter to me. Dress as you want does not affect our experience at all.

Dress as you like. I wear a gown and put my hair up, hubby wears dress shirt and slacks (had neck cancer so not good for ties, etc....many do not think about that stuff).

I haven't worn a tie on a ship in well over 15-18 years but I also can't recall anyone ever commenting that they were refused entrance to the DR for not wearing one.

Be prepared....many times in elevators we have had the groups, I think 50's or something and they do not get dressed up at all...no problem for us, but they have made comments on the way to the dining room with us and others dressed up that...is it prom...did we miss something...doesn't matter to me. Dress as you want does not affect our experience at all.

Now that's funny. :D

Now that's funny. :D

Yep, some were offended by the comments...it was a music group of the 50's on board....we were not. It is our cruise and we dress as we like. If anyone wants to make fun who cares...doesn't affect me one bit. Mom always taught us better to be overdressed than under dressed. I really don't pay attention to what others wear, doesn't affect our cruise experience at all.

So, if you want to dress up....go for it. You will look wonderful!

Yep, some were offended by the comments...it was a music group of the 50's on board....we were not. It is our cruise and we dress as we like. If anyone wants to make fun who cares...doesn't affect me one bit. Mom always taught us better to be overdressed than under dressed. I really don't pay attention to what others wear, doesn't affect our cruise experience at all.

So, if you want to dress up....go for it. You will look wonderful!

Not me. I under-dress for everything.

Like I tell the wife, I'm old, retired and can get by with just about anything.....even needing a haircut most of the time. ;)

LOVE LOVE dressing to the nines on formal nights... It is sooo nice to see guys in suits or tux's... and gals in long evening dresses.. or cocktail dresses also .. My DH has opted for suits now.. but has worn tux's also. in the past. I love seeing the nights with the guests dressed 'up'. Gives me a chance to even take my little beaded bags... which i love to take.. to finish off my dress etc.. I wish it would go back to where the MDR will 'lend' a jacket to those who didn't take one. We don't feel out of place at ALL.. on our last few cruises. MANY guests were dressed to the nines on formal nights.. Love to see it..

Just back from a Baltic cruise on the Regal.

There were a few Japanese couples who didn't have a Tux but they sure knew how to impress.

The mind boggles at the thought of carrying all that clothing half way across the world for a couple of nights.

Due to the disappointing food quality on our first night in the MDR, we didn't return and stuck to the buffet without dressing up on formal nights.

Not me. I under-dress for everything.

Like I tell the wife, I'm old, retired and can get by with just about anything.....even needing a haircut most of the time. ;)

Nice. I have the same attitude also being old and retired. I have never worn a tie anywhere in decades much less on a ship. Of late I have been wearing my short sleeved guayabera shirt with khaki pants on formal nights. It is so comfortable.