Best way to get to Maho Beach from Port

We want to watch the planes land at Maho Beach. What are our options for getting to Maho Beach from the port?

I have heard that there is a bus that you could catch from Back St. in Philipsburg. You could also take a taxi or rent a car. Some people go as part of their private tour. I have never taken the bus in St. Martin and still would be lost trying to figure that one out but others seem to do just fine with it. Taxi's are plentiful weather you catch it by the pier or in town.

• 2 weeks later...

Where do you catch a cab or the bus? Is it close to the pier? Where does the bus drop you off and how do you know when you can get the bus back? Also, is it difficult to catch a cab back in the afternoon? I don't want to miss the boat! :) There are only two of us. Will they not want to give us a ride? That happened to me in Grand Cayman. The taxi drivers wouldn't take us until we had more people in the taxi van so we waited FOREVER until a few people who also wanted to go to 7 Mile Beach came along. By the time we got to the beach we didn't have much time to spend there. Not only that but I was soooo paranoid we'd have problems catching a cab back that I was worried the entire time we were there and left really early to make sure we could get back. I don't want to worry this time.

Edited by Happy Honeymooner

If your plan is to get to Maho to watch the planes, then the BEST approach would be to catch a taxi from the dispatch area at the Cruise Facility.

th_DSCN3855.jpg

(click)

$18 total to zip the two of you to Maho, or less if there are other people to share the ride. Should be the same price on the return. Taxis may not be waiting on your return, but your friendly local Maho beach bar (I would highly recommend Guy's) should be able to call one for you. If not, a quick walk out to the nearby hotels will find you one. Taxi would return you to the Cruise Facility.

If you want to try to save a few bucks, then the bus is an option. Take a taxi or the Water Taxi to downtown Philipsburg. Should be $3 for a taxi (each way) per person or $4 for the Water Taxi ($6 round trip). You should be able to walk it in 20 minutes or so, if so inclined.

th_DSCN3853.jpg th_DSCN4127.jpg

(click)

Then find Back Street. It's the next one over from Front Street, which is the one with all the jewelry stores. I would look behind the Court House for a sign labeled Bus Halte. That's where you will find the $2 bus. Look for a bus with a 'Maho' or 'Mullet Bay' or 'M'Bay' sign in the window.

Tell the driver Maho Beach and you pay when you get off. You'll get back on the return bus on the other side of the street from where you got off. There will be a bus by shortly, though there is no schedule as they are independent operators. The bus will drop you in Philipsburg, without an option to continue to the Cruise Facility, another $3 pp by taxi or your return ticket (wristband) on the Water Taxi.

gary

Edited by gtaylor

Have a great time at Maho. It is a lot of fun to watch the planes. Make sure you take a camera. My family and friends who have seen my pictures do not think they are real. A wonderfully different experience. :)

Edited by 2PinaColadas

The idea of renting a car puts an entirely different perspective on your visit.

Are you sure that it's what you want to do?

gary

p.s. There's parking inside the Caravanserai (sp?) resort gates.

I have been there before and rented a car, It is very easy to get around, you have a map and you just follow it, you get lost you just ask for directions. The rule of thumb, always give your self time to get back to ship no matter what you do. I always do my own thing on islands and have agreat time. weather its renting a car, motorcycle, finding a private tour, scuba diving, snorkeling. Just do your research before you go and plan it out. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
If your plan is to get to Maho to watch the planes, then the BEST approach would be to catch a taxi from the dispatch area at the Cruise Facility.

th_DSCN3855.jpg

(click)

$18 total to zip the two of you to Maho, or less if there are other people to share the ride. Should be the same price on the return. Taxis may not be waiting on your return, but your friendly local Maho beach bar (I would highly recommend Guy's) should be able to call one for you. If not, a quick walk out to the nearby hotels will find you one. Taxi would return you to the Cruise Facility.

If you want to try to save a few bucks, then the bus is an option. Take a taxi or the Water Taxi to downtown Philipsburg. Should be $3 for a taxi (each way) per person or $4 for the Water Taxi ($6 round trip). You should be able to walk it in 20 minutes or so, if so inclined.

(click)

Then find Back Street. It's the next one over from Front Street, which is the one with all the jewelry stores. I would look behind the Court House for a sign labeled Bus Halte. That's where you will find the $2 bus. Look for a bus with a 'Maho' or 'Mullet Bay' or 'M'Bay' sign in the window.

Tell the driver Maho Beach and you pay when you get off. You'll get back on the return bus on the other side of the street from where you got off. There will be a bus by shortly, though there is no schedule as they are independent operators. The bus will drop you in Philipsburg, without an option to continue to the Cruise Facility, another $3 pp by taxi or your return ticket (wristband) on the Water Taxi.

gary

I know it's been awhile, but thank you for the excellent directions for taking the bus and the options getting to the bus stop. Thank You:)

I am visiting via cruise ship and will be taking a taxi to AUC medical school for a tour. I would then like to walk to a beach. Mullet Bay looks the closest but I have heard it is easier to get a return taxi to the cruise port from Maho. Would anyone happen to know if Maho is walking distance from AUC?

thank you for your help.

Todd

(click)

gary

Nicely explained! We did try the bus this past Decembert while cruising Celebrity over Christmas.

Also note that the local bus is actually a VAN with a sign for destination placed in the front window (similar van to most of the 'taxi"):

P1670555.jpg

Once you reach the Back Street in Downtown (Philipsburg), if you see a van like the one above, you can also simply wave and the driver will stop and pick you up.

Below is the Bus Stop at the final destination (Maho Beach) and then the Bus sign 'on the other side' of the road for the return transportation:

P1670611.jpg

P1670822.jpg

Finally, some more visuals on our visit to Maho Beach using the local bus (December 2011):

Photos: Bus ride from Downtown Philipsburg to Maho Beach (Thursday 12.29.2011)

- See short VIDEO here:

Photos: Maho Beach - seeing the aircrafts landing in St. Maarten (Thursday 12.29.2011)

MAHO BEACH is a beautiful beach on the Dutch side of the Caribbean island of Saint Martin, in the country of Sint Maarten. It is famous for the Princess Juliana International Airport adjacent to the beach. Arriving aircraft must touch down as close as possible to the beginning of runway 10 due to the short runway length of 2,180 metres (7,152 ft ) resulting in aircraft on their final approach flying over the beach at minimal altitude.

- See VIDEO here:

Happy sailing!