Hapag-LLoyd Europa 2.

English Voyager

English Voyager and MsSommelier - thank you for your thoughtful responses. What you posted makes a lot of sense. ededmd - I never discount the views of only one poster - especially one that has sailed on the cruise line before.

It seems that most luxury cruise line are having a decrease in passengers in Europe. There are so many possible reasons that I won't speculate but hope that things improve.

English Voyager,

That is very discouraging. Although not my 'perfect' ship in every way, MS Europa (I have not yet been on Europa 2) was the height of culinary and service excellence for me.

Given the number of first-time Europa cruisers on this trip (179), maybe H-L feels they have enough of a 'captive' audience of customers who are happy to cruise with Europa. It used to be that the cruises sold out so fast, it was hard to secure a cabin. That appears to no longer be the case. At least, there are many cruises with availability and they are advertising regularly in the Sunday papers here with offers.

And yet despite availability on the Europa 2, Hapag-Lloyd Cruises do not make available staterooms for solo occupancy.

It is galling.

Edited by English Voyager

vistaman,

I believe that you are, like me, a solo traveller.

Given Hapag-Lloyd Cruises' highly restrictive policy on solo occupancy, how do you manage to obtain reservations on your various cruises?

On the preview brochures?

i point a few as soon the previews are out - ms Europa is not so difficult as the 2

During that same lunch, the host said, in addition, that TUI overall was having challenges with staffing. He said that Mein Schiff 6 was delayed in launching due to difficulty finding enough German speaking, qualified staff, which leads me to believe that English Voyager is right in saying that they appear to be supplied by a single agency company.

Actually TUI Cruises and Hapag-Lloyd Cruises use Sea Chefs for the hotel management (as many other cruise lines).

But... your host did tell you a lot of .... Neither was Hapag-Lloyd recently "bought" bei TUI Group nor was the Mein Schiff 6 in any way delayed (actually they added cruises prior to the naming ceremony and the official maiden voyage).

It´s correct that it is getting more and more difficult to find German speaking staff. Especially with the growth of TUI Cruises. But that´s mainly the staff in the restaurants and there mainly the waiters. TUI Cruises does hire Asian crew too as buy boys. They might advance to waiter as soon as they´ve learned enough German. But the upfront people are either German or from Eastern Europe. As you know you need a 3 year training in Germany to become a Restaurantfachkraft oder Hotelfachkraft. Most of the German staff stays only for one or two contracts as having worked on a ship is good in the CV and then they move on to hotels or restaurants of a higher level.

Usually the people working as restaurant manager, Maitre.. the higher ranks ... are experienced folks who work for the cruise line for several years (or have worked for other cruise lines).

But that´s just the upfront folks in the restaurants.

Actually all cruise lines do have problems finding crew as the whole cruise business is growing.

Changes in the crew are also a normal thing. Contracts end and new crew is coming onboard. Even when you have a crew member returning the person needs some time to get back into routine. For a person being totally new onboard it´s even harder. Also experienced crew members do have to get aquainted with the routine when the change ships. This is absolutely normal. Of course the expectations are higher on H-L ships and you expect a perfect service from the first minute.

You also mentioned the food... There´s not that much change in staff in the galley as it is in the restaurant. And actually German is not needed in the galley. There English is the main language. Traditionally the executive chefs are either German, Austrian or Swiss but in the meantime you can find any nation in cruise ship galleys as executive chefs (maybe not with a German cruise line as a German chef knows the taste of his customers better than a non German chef - in that case German, Austrian or Swiss equals).

steamboats

steamboats,

My experience of cruising with Hapag-Lloyd Cruises has been confined to the Europa 2.

Whatever factors are operating behind the scenes, as far as a passenger is concerned, on a luxury line such as H-L, if the result is a marked lack of wait staff in a restaurant which requires, as was the case on my last H-L cruise, Restaurant Manager, Assistant Restaurant Manager, and on one occasion the Sommelier, to deliver food in a less than full restaurant then, I would suggest something is seriously amiss.

If, as was my observation, the, predominantly young, staff are then worked to the point of exhaustion it is little wonder that they choose not to sign on for a second contract thus leading, as I suspect, to a high 'churn' rate for H-L.

It is incumbent on Senior Management to ensure that the on board working environment in the various restaurants is such that wait staff are enthused to sign repeat contracts thereby creating ' a pool' of experienced staff.

The young hospitality staff have other options on land. Our favorite waitress was going home and had already secured a place at a university to study management. A young Swiss waiter was doing this stint because the H-L name looks good on his resume. A multilingual Chinese-German waiter needed a semester of practical work for his management course requirement at a well-respected German university.

Some renew their contracts, but not forever. And they are all offered renewal unless something bad has happened. None of the Philippine/Balinese/Eastern Europe waiters on other cruise lines has a variety of career options at home. Our Serbian stateroom steward decided not to renew. Her Philippine assistant was just happy to have a job.

Floridiana, you´ve nailed it! I remember one waitress (in that case AIDA) in a specialty restaurant. Actually her main reason to go onboard was a special situation in her life. Shortly prior to the beginning of her contract she met a new partner. She was 3 weeks from the end of her contract and did not renew. She´s been excellent.

English Voyager, yes, there are less people from Eastern Europe now. I saw many of them even with international cruise lines but mainly with German cruise lines and especially on German speaking river cruise ships. Actually yesterday I saw an interview with a caroussel owner on the Oktoberfest who "complained" that he doesn´t get any people from Romania anymore for building up his caroussel as the economy improved and they now get jobs back home.

And of course when the wait staff is understaffed the whole system doesn´t work anymore. People have to work more hours and get tired. And of course - as said before - with H-L you expect perfect service from the very first minute and not understaffed dining rooms and exhausted, tired staff. But where to take them....???

As said before finding staff (mainly waiters, cabin stewards) is a big problem in the whole cruise industry right now. Finding staff with German language skills is even harder.

steamboats

The Philippine trio we had on Mein Schiff 1 was one of the best wait staff teams we ever had on any ship any line. We chose a table in their section on purpose. They would have loved to work on a ship that goes to Manila and invites family on board like H-L does. Their German was ok, but H-L hires wait staff on the German market. We had only one waiter assistant whose German was shaky, but it does not matter to us. He was efficient and friendly.

• 2 weeks later...
Hapag-Lloyd Cruises has posted a video in respect of the 14 day refurbishment due for completion today.

Thanks so much for posting.

Collins looks so different from Herrenzimmer.

I would request confirmation from upcoming sailors that the beds were made to be separated as had been predicted.

I will let you know on Monday.

Thank you! Any other first hand observations (especially of changes) would I'm certain be welcomed by all the Europa 2-philes.

Your lovely long itinerary with 3 full seas days to explore the ship looks quite nice.

Enjoy the discovery and have a great cruise!

Here are new photos by Oceanliner Pictures of the Europa 2 right after dry dock.

And currently Matthias Morr (Schiffstester) is onboard. He published his first

yesterday. More are to follow over the next few weeks. Of course the narrating is in German but you can still watch the video.

steamboats

steamboats,

the video you linked dates from 2013.

A recent, German narrated, video has been published.

However, what is intriguing is that much of the original dialogue is in English, so one wonders who originally produced the film.

It is good to see some familiar faces on the Europa 2.

steamboats,

the video you linked dates from 2013.

A recent, German narrated, video has been published.

However, what is intriguing is that much of the original dialogue is in English, so one wonders who originally produced the film.

It is good to see some familiar faces on the Europa 2.

Thanks very much for posting this. We join Europa2 for the very first time, in Lisbon in 2 weeks for the TA and this video was fascinating. We are not long off a Seabourn Greek Isles cruise so many of the featured ports were still fresh in my mind. I shall be able to compare and contrast!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks very much for posting this. We join Europa2 for the very first time, in Lisbon in 2 weeks for the TA and this video was fascinating. We are not long off a Seabourn Greek Isles cruise so many of the featured ports were still fresh in my mind. I shall be able to compare and contrast!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The video certainly brought back memories of my 2015 cruise on the Europa 2 through the Greek islands.

Have an enjoyable cruise.

I hope you will post your thoughts on the Europa 2.

If you want more post drydock video, these two are similar but good -

In the spa, the seats with the dedicated footbaths are gone replaced by a fireplace on the starboard side and I can't quite tell what on the port side.

Perhaps my perspective is off but it appears the Kneipp pool and ice fountain are also gone from the spa replaced with some seating.

(I hope I'm wrong about the Kniepp pool being gone as the cold water was quite soothing after walking a lot on tours.)

The bleacher style seating in the most aft starboard sauna appears to have been replaced by 4 wooden slat loungers.

Thank you! Any other first hand observations (especially of changes) would I'm certain be welcomed by all the Europa 2-philes.

Your lovely long itinerary with 3 full seas days to explore the ship looks quite nice.

Enjoy the discovery and have a great cruise!

I find the two mattresses are still placed on a bedframe that cannot be separated, so obviously they did not do anything for the bed during dry dock. And the nightstands are still fixed to the wall.

While we left Hamburg, I saw Europa in dry dock, not sure if they will do anything about the bed on that ship.

We are now heading towards Tilbury, a bit of disappointment, to replace Greenwich due to wind conditions.

that must be a disappointment :Tilbury is horrible and linked to tides as well

i cannot judge the circumstances - maybe the Thames is dangerous with heavy winds - i never sailed until Greenwich or the center of London so far.

a few weeks ago the rather small Silver Wind was unable to enter Zeebrugge and remained in Antwerp for overnight.

and the night before entering the Kiel canal last weekend on Europa 2 is was 7-8 with a small period reaching force 9

i hope hapag lloyd did provide some shuttles

that must be a disappointment :Tilbury is horrible and linked to tides as well

i cannot judge the circumstances - maybe the Thames is dangerous with heavy winds - i never sailed until Greenwich or the center of London so far.

a few weeks ago the rather small Silver Wind was unable to enter Zeebrugge and remained in Antwerp for overnight.

and the night before entering the Kiel canal last weekend on Europa 2 is was 7-8 with a small period reaching force 9

i hope hapag lloyd did provide some shuttles

Yes free shuttle is provided from shipside to Greenwich and back, till 3:00 am the next morning.