Theft

SFloridian

In all 10 yrs of cruising I've never had anything stolen. I use the safe for my important documents and money. I leave my iPad and camera out all the time and they were never stolen. I've sailed on various lines.

This is unfortunate for you.

Yes it is.

It is being investigated. Sure nothing will turn up.

I will look into cameras to put in the cabin next time.

hi

Every once in a while someone will post about items stolen, but I would think it's not typical. I have cruised about 30 times now with never having things missing.

Some people say they never even use their safe, although that doesn't sound very smart. I can understand the temptation of valuables or cash, but a dress out of your suitcase, or a pair of shoes from under a chair, sounds bizarre. Don't forget while the cabin stewards are cleaning the cabins, the doors are open and anyone passing by while unattended can grab something out in the open.

Always use your safe for valuables. There is nothing to be done about someone on a cruise that will steal a pair of shoes.

The dress is bizarre, unless you think that this attendant knew what was in my closet and this was something not worn with tags. Then it makes sense that it can be sent as a gift or sold. I know this sounds accusatory, but it was the last thing I packed bc I was going to return it and I also didn't want it to get soiled so it was on top. I carried my own luggage off the ship. The dress was not there when I opened the bag two hours later.

Every human being can be tempted.

I'm sorry this has happened to you or anyone else. I must admit I have been concerned the last few times cruising because when the stewards are cleaning the room they leave the door open and could be way down the hall getting something so it's left insecure and any opportunist could easily grab something quickly. In my opinion the staff wouldn't risk getting fired but an opportunist passenger might take the chance of stealing.

You are so right about how many different staff members come in and out. We had our do not disturb sign out one evening and were gone maybe an hour-when we came back our duty free was not just placed inside the door but way over by the drawers close to our balcony. I found that annoying and just a bit suspicious but we rarely leave anything sitting out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Never had anything taken, nor heard of others, except once a forum friend thought her packed suitcase had been opened before she collected it at the dock, and some jewellery was missing- but most don't put jewels in cases, but take from the safe and put in their hand luggage.

I am sorry you experienced having your items stolen. I have been lucky enough to have never had anything stolen from a cruise cabin or a hotel room. On my last cruise, I accidentally left my safe open and had hundreds of dollars of cash in it. I was upset to see that I had left it open, but impressed that everything was still there. I have also left my laptop out and cell phones charging, but nothing has ever been touched. It doesn't mean it won't happen, but I do think it's rare. There are people who steal, so I know it can happen anywhere. A passenger could even go into your cabin if the door is left open by the person cleaning it.

The camera sounds like a good idea. I think they even sell cameras that are inside usb chargers. Also, you might want to get a lock for your suitcase and use it to store valuables that won't fit in the safe.

• Like 1

Never have had anything taken. We usually do four week cruises and at times we have left money, jewelry and camera gear all over the cabin. We never put our laptops or camera away. We even forget to close the safe many times. I keep a stack of money for room service tips in the top drawer. I have opened it while staff is in the room and I am pretty sure no one has taken any. The staff knows they will be tossed off the ship if they are caught.

Well, I'm changing my reply since I checked and this theft posting is your first on cruise critic. The whole thing sort of reminds me when my mother who had Alzheimer's accused the staff at the nursing home of stealing her brown polyester pants.

Lol!

I too am sorry for your loss....as other's have said, while it is a rarity, it is still a possibility....you hear enough stories on this forum about crewmember's (and passenger's) charged with far more serious crimes aboard...

Personally, I have been on 31 cruises since 1991, and have never had anything stolen....I too, have accidentally left my safe door open, with wallet and cash inside, and never found anything missing. Indeed, the only 'loss' I suffered was at the end of a cruise, while going thru security at the Vancouver airport, I left a HAL "Dam Ship's" cap behind (hard earned playing trivia:D), and when I went right back for it, no one knew where it went.....:rolleyes:

Thousands of cruisers on a single ship with, no doubt, a handful of entrepreneurial crooks looking to pocket stuff? What would you expect?

I would think that if people wanted to steal stuff, they would stay home and do it in their town rather than spend all that time aboard a ship, most of the time with no escape, after having to pay the cost of the cruise and transportation, just for an opportunity to steal. Seems like a good example of the law of diminishing returns. Fortunately, pessimism doesn't run in my family, so it appears that I have a higher opinion of my fellow passengers than you do.

I would think that if people wanted to steal stuff, they would stay home and do it in their town rather than spend all that time aboard a ship, most of the time with no escape, after having to pay the cost of the cruise and transportation, just for an opportunity to steal. Seems like a good example of the law of diminishing returns. Fortunately, pessimism doesn't run in my family, so it appears that I have a higher opinion of my fellow passengers than you do.

Certainly not suggesting that anyone would take a cruise just to steal. That would be fairly stupid.

Rather, it might be a "crime of opportunity" for some "low life" who likes cruising. As for "opinions," I wouldn't question low level cruise personnel who could lose their job over the disappearance of some passenger's cheap trinkets. If it isn't a fellow passenger, are you suggesting that it's crew members who do such pilfering? Highly unlikely.

Certainly not suggesting that anyone would take a cruise just to steal. That would be fairly stupid.

Rather, it might be a "crime of opportunity" for some "low life" who likes cruising. As for "opinions," I wouldn't question low level cruise personnel who could lose their job over the disappearance of some passenger's cheap trinkets. If it isn't a fellow passenger, are you suggesting that it's crew members who do such pilfering? Highly unlikely.

Nope, not suggesting that it might be the crew at all. I am suggesting that the majority of "thefts" are most likely the result of people misplacing items, forgetting them when disembarking, or simply losing them. People have a tendency to want to look for other reasons for missing items than admitting that they themselves might be at fault. The first reaction is to assume someone else is involved. That is the simple psychology of being human. No one wants to admit that they aren't infallible. ;)

Expecting that a "low life who likes cruising" might be the cause is very pessimistic. Do you normally assume the worst of people? :confused:

Edited by sloopsailor

Nope, not suggesting that it might be the crew at all. I am suggesting that the majority of "thefts" are most likely the result of people misplacing items, forgetting them when disembarking, or simply losing them. People have a tendency to want to look for other reasons for missing items than admitting that they themselves might be at fault. The first reaction is to assume someone else is involved. That is the simple psychology of being human. No one wants to admit that they aren't infallible. ;)

Expecting that a "low life who likes cruising" might be the cause is very pessimistic. Do you normally assume the worst of people? :confused:

I agree. But, if it was an actual theft, i would look to a crime of opportunity from someone unassociated with ship ops- just too much to lose (compared to a passengers who come and go.

The OP has just 11 posts all of which are in this thread so he is a first timer post with a lot of responses to his original first post.. I think that the word "troll" applies.

Like so many others, I leave stuff out. Between my electronics and camera equipment, it amounts to several thousand dollars of stuff. Nothing has ever been taken.

Want to bet that he never comes back with another original thread. I certainly do not feel sorry for him at all. Maybe he is trying to set up some documentation for a claim against his insurance.

Has a matter of mere curiosity, has anyone ever set up a camera as proposed by the OP to monitor who comes into their room?

DON

We started cruising more than 30 years ago and have been on 100++ cruises. We have never had anything stolen but may have just forgotten to pack something. My husband's Pepsi tie had to have fallen off the coat rack to back of closet floor. I forgot a mug once. realized it, went back to our cabin and found it on the steward's cart. He had a "I'm glad you came back for it". Everything of value goes into our safe, including my phone.