Hygiene

FangedRose

I was being facetious! What do you do with them then? And how dirty is everybody?

Either in the laundry pile/basket/bag, or left on the bed to air for a couple of hours before being folded and put under the pillow. Not stuffed still damp into a drawer, in case the steward touches it.

Everybody is dirty, sweaty first thing in the morning.

Please tell me that you then put them in a closed drawer to fester for another week😰😰

Of course I don't leave them out. They go into the bottom drawer, along with all the other dirty stuff. It's only for sleeping in. I don't wear it out, although I did visit the buffet in it once but I had a jumper over it, so no one knew.

I'm amazed at how many people would rather let their steward think they sleep commando than let the steward touch their clothing.

My grandma was convinced that her rather posh neighbours were 'all furcoat and no knickers' because she never saw any underwear on the washing line.

Soiled clothing will certainly give you something. That's why we wash clothing, it's the bacteria that makes them smell. I certainly wouldn't want to apply eye make up or lipstick that's been in contact with a surface that's had other people's dirty clothing on.

My dad, who would be 86 now, and my husband who would be 66 both had asthma. I certainly remember class mates with hayfever.

I'm confused why putting clothes in a drawer -- something that's intended to hold clothes -- would warrant a second thought. What other use would a bedside drawer serve? The under-the-pillow thing has me fascinated. I've never heard of that tactic; it's clever. But if your PJs are so soiled that you won't put them in a drawer for fear of germs, then why would you put them somewhere that will come into contact with your face? Shouldn't they go in the wash instead?

It's likely our room stewards don't think about what we wear to bed at all, to be honest, but I would much rather have someone thinking that I sleep commando than thinking I'm messy or rude. I was taught that leaving your pajamas out for someone else to clean up is bad manners. Plus, as others have said, I'm weirded out by the thought of a stranger touching my clothes - particularly intimate ones.

Germs do love damp conditions, but cruise cabins are temperature controlled, which keeps humidity to a minimum. I've never sweated so much in my pajamas that they were wet when I woke up (unless I was ill or sleeping someplace hot in the summer without A-C). I'm not an expert, but I don't think germs can survive on surfaces for weeks: https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/infections/how-long-do-bacteria-and-viruses-live-outside-the-body/.

Funny conversation, and ultimately, to each their own!

#1 The sheets and pillowcases get washed every three or four days. The drawers don't.

#2The nightclothes don't get folded and placed under the pillow until they've been aired.

#3 The nightclothes do not get left out for someone else to put away. They have been left on the bed to air.

I'm confused why putting clothes in a drawer -- something that's intended to hold clothes -- would warrant a second thought. What other use would a bedside drawer serve? The under-the-pillow thing has me fascinated. I've never heard of that tactic; it's clever. But if your PJs are so soiled that you won't put them in a drawer for fear of germs, then why would you put them somewhere that will come into contact with your face? Shouldn't they go in the wash instead?

It's likely our room stewards don't think about what we wear to bed at all, to be honest, but I would much rather have someone thinking that I sleep commando than thinking I'm messy or rude. I was taught that leaving your pajamas out for someone else to clean up is bad manners. Plus, as others have said, I'm weirded out by the thought of a stranger touching my clothes - particularly intimate ones.

Germs do love damp conditions, but cruise cabins are temperature controlled, which keeps humidity to a minimum. I've never sweated so much in my pajamas that they were wet when I woke up (unless I was ill or sleeping someplace hot in the summer without A-C). I'm not an expert, but I don't think germs can survive on surfaces for weeks: https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/infections/how-long-do-bacteria-and-viruses-live-outside-the-body/.

Funny conversation, and ultimately, to each their own!

At last, the voice of reason!!! 😂😂😂😂

At last, the voice of reason!!! 😂😂😂😂

Drawers are designed to keep clean dry clothes just that, clean and dry, and protect from moths too, not an issue here. They are not designed to hold clothes that are not clean.

I can't believe what I've been reading here. I sometimes wear a nightie, sometimes not and I am not the least bit bothered what the cabin steward or anyone else thinks. If I do wear one, I usually leave it under my pillow. I do not change my nightie every day and was taught to leave it under my pillow at night. I am in my 60s and so far have suffered no ill effect from these practices. So far as nightwear harbouring bacteria is concerned, we are all walking carriers of millions of bacteria and a worn nightie should be the least of our worries. The only concern I have when on board is the number of people I see entering the dining rooms without sanitising their hands first. Other than that, I really don't give it a second thought and think that one can be over cautious sometimes when it comes to disinfecting areas. We build up our immunity by being exposed to bacteria - if we lived in a totally sterile environment, we would find it impossible to cope with all the minor infections which come our way.

Reading this thread is so much fun. :'):')

People revealing there preferences regarding what they wear or not as the case may be. :o

I have never known a thread like this before. Very amusing!

I have always been taught to tidy up after myself also. I leave the cabin tidy and do not expect the steward to have to move any of my clothes before they can get on with their work. I also don't like the thought of someone else touching it. I always hang my nightwear in the wardrobe out of the way.

Edited by CarlaMarie

I can't believe what I've been reading here. I sometimes wear a nightie, sometimes not and I am not the least bit bothered what the cabin steward or anyone else thinks. If I do wear one, I usually leave it under my pillow. I do not change my nightie every day and was taught to leave it under my pillow at night. I am in my 60s and so far have suffered no ill effect from these practices. So far as nightwear harbouring bacteria is concerned, we are all walking carriers of millions of bacteria and a worn nightie should be the least of our worries. The only concern I have when on board is the number of people I see entering the dining rooms without sanitising their hands first. Other than that, I really don't give it a second thought and think that one can be over cautious sometimes when it comes to disinfecting areas. We build up our immunity by being exposed to bacteria - if we lived in a totally sterile environment, we would find it impossible to cope with all the minor infections which come our way.

I agree re: sanitising hands, it just maked me wonder if they eat without washing hands in public what do they do in private :eek:

This thread gets more amusing as it goes on. I don't wake up sweaty and dirty. I had a shower the night before and the cabin is cool. Just how dirty could my nightdress be? And no I don't change it every day, once a week like somebody else said. Some folk on here are besotted with germs it seems and it is those people who are paranoid about cleansing with anti bac gels and other things that are probably going to get noro virus because their immune systems are so sanitised they have nothing to fight with. I have never caught anything on a ship, other than a cold that was doing the rounds. I certainly don't think anyone is going to catch anything from a drawer unless someone used the drawer instead of the loo?

I agree re: sanitising hands, it just maked me wonder if they eat without washing hands in public what do they do in private :eek:

I do use the sanitiser, but it's totally useless against norovirus because it's only anti-bac and not anti-virus.

This thread gets more amusing as it goes on. I don't wake up sweaty and dirty. I had a shower the night before and the cabin is cool. Just how dirty could my nightdress be? And no I don't change it every day, once a week like somebody else said. Some folk on here are besotted with germs it seems and it is those people who are paranoid about cleansing with anti bac gels and other things that are probably going to get noro virus because their immune systems are so sanitised they have nothing to fight with. I have never caught anything on a ship, other than a cold that was doing the rounds. I certainly don't think anyone is going to catch anything from a drawer unless someone used the drawer instead of the loo?

Here here Jean. Although we do give the door handles and tv remote an anti virus wipe bit nothing else :)

I do use the sanitiser, but it's totally useless against norovirus because it's only anti-bac and not anti-virus.

Maybe in the past. The ones used now are anti viral too.

Neither is a patch on good old soap and water. I don't wipe door handles or TV remote. But I do wash my hands before eating.

I still cannot believe that people put dirty clothing back into drawers! It was drummed into me by my grandmother, who would be well over 120 if still alive. Once something has been worn it does NOT go back into the wardrobe, drawer or closet. So it is not a new idea!!!

Maybe in the past. The ones used now are anti viral too.

Neither is a patch on good old soap and water. I don't wipe door handles or TV remote. But I do wash my hands before eating.

I still cannot believe that people put dirty clothing back into drawers! It was drummed into me by my grandmother, who would be well over 120 if still alive. Once something has been worn it does NOT go back into the wardrobe, drawer or closet. So it is not a new idea!!!

I am sure in the late 1800's when your grandmother was born things were worn and put back into the wardrobe or drawer :o

Well my old Gran who would have been 107 now used to tell me off for washing my children’s clothes too often!

She also said a bit of dirt would do no harm! She lived to a ripe old age too!!

Eve

I can’t speak for others, but personally the reason I would wear fresh night clothes every night, if I actually wore them, is nothing to do with germs. It's the same reason I change my bed alternate days at home during summer months - and every 3 days in winter, I simply prefer sleeping on fresh linen - and wearing it. It makes me more comfortable and I sleep better.

For starters, all the cabin stewards and stewardesses wear gloves or hadn't you noticed? Secondly, I've never read such unadulterated rubbish. If everybody stopped worrying about germs all the time, we would all be a lot healthier. All this bacterial wipes, bacterial spray in bathrooms and kitchens stops your immune system being able to cope with any germs at all. That's why kids these days have all these allergies, asthma etc. etc. Nobody at my school had allergies or asthma. A nightdress in a drawer is not going to give anybody anything.

Oh I do agree ! What rubbish some people believe - and what a sad, full of worry life they must have!