Port arrival and departure times, Northern Lights cruise

SheWillHaveHerWay

Hi all,

Can anyone advise the arrival times in Tromso and departure times from Alta on the P&O Northern Lights cruise? We tend not to go on P&O organised excursions but the lack of any guide to timings makes it difficult to know what is bookable with local companies.

All the itinerary says is arrival 'early' am in Tromso and 'early am' departure from Alta - this could be anything from 1am to 8am. Just wandering about likelihood of being in Tromso for 9am or earlier, or being able to return in the wee hours on the departure day in Alta.

Any guidance from those who have been on a P&O Northern Lights cruise in the past much appreciated. Will also contact P&O but expecting a vague reply.

Thanks!

Your best bet is to look at the cruise ship timetables on the individual port websites. It won't always work for every port, but where the times are given they are usually accurate. We did that for a very port intensive Cunard cruise and they were spot on every time.

Not sure which cruise you are on, but if it's the November one, Tromso shows the Aurora arriving at 8am on the 15th November and leaving at 3.30am on the 16th November. Alta shows the Aurora arriving at 1.30pm on the 16th November and leaving at 2.30am on the 18th November.

This is much more reliable than asking P&O (or Cunard!)

Thanks groovechick - I'll look at them both too.

The problem with the websites that are supposed to give you port times is that a) not all ships are listed - the Aurora isn't on the first site and b) the second site usually only reflects what the cruise line itinerary says ie: early morning to evening or similar. Best sticking with the actual port websites

Hi. Just a point to note, which you probably have already considered. Due to the weather on this cruise the itinerary timings can often change. On our Northern Lights cruise I booked an independent early evening music recital in the Arctic Cathedral in Tromso, but due to weather conditions the captain amended the departure time and we left port early. Obviously the P&O tours were reimbursed for any missed excursions. We also had the problem that most of the trips on the cruise that we wanted to do were not available to arrange independently as the cruise line booked all the availability. There are limited snow mobile/husky dog operators available and they know the ship demand will be at a maximum.

Hi I used Glod in Alta for the northern lights trip, although the ship uses the same company, we booked their independent trip direct with the company only slightly cheaper , but they check the local weather app to know where the clear sky's are. The boat trip is run on large coaches and they are limited to where they can go unlike Glod who use small mini buses.

I totally recommended this company if you look them up on trip adviser, going back to last March there a few posts on there including my own they are a well run and organised company the boat trip missed out on the lights, we had a absolutely brilliant display never to be forgotten.

People are right if you search each destination cruise ports you will find all the arrival times. Unless you want to do a boat organised excursion in Tromso I suggest using the free bus shuttle into town, they stop near the tourist information they will direct you to the local buses no26 witch takes you to the ski lift for a fantastic view over Tromso much cheaper than the boats trip.

Hi all, thanks for all the input. Yes, I noticed that the only websites that offer actual times for Aurora are the port websites.

It's a good point about weather affecting the ship's timings, we've cruised before and know that can happen. You takes your chances as they say. I'm not worried about Alta - I've been in touch with a local company and they have said they'll be sure to have us back at the port a good two hours before the ship leaves on the second night, so that should be fine. They had also looked up the departure time.

I think at Tromso though we'll have to be lined up to get off the ship as it docks for our morning boat trip. Still choosing our evening trip!

We are doing this cruise as well, our 2nd Northern lights trip. The first time we went we were on Oriana in March and we missed our last port out due to not being able to leave Alta on time because of a storm. Because this cruise is in November there aren’t as many excursions to pick from on the P&O site probably due to the lack of snow at this time of year and the few hours of daylight we will have. We have booked an independent excursion at Tromso and it’s a chance we will have to take that we get there on time. It’s not only the weather conditions that may hold us back but I’m not overly confident Aurora will get there without any issues as it has just had an engine fire and the last time we were on it there was a mechanical fault and we were 5 hours late leaving our 1st port. Just keeping my fingers crossed everything will be ok!

The problem with the websites that are supposed to give you port times is that a) not all ships are listed - the Aurora isn't on the first site and b) the second site usually only reflects what the cruise line itinerary says ie: early morning to evening or similar. Best sticking with the actual port websites

If you look under Itineraries it gives the full itinerary for each ship for 2017, with times in and out of port. Of course these are always slightly subject to change (mechanical problems, adverse weather) but at least provides a guide for arranging DIY shore excursions. Certainly this was spot on for our mid-August cruise, but I see it doesn't have Aurora doing the Northern Lights in November. As you say, actual port websites are the best guide but the information is not available on some until relatively short notice, i.e. Lisbon, which doesn't help if you're trying to book ahead. Why on Earth P&O doesn't just provide port times, with the caveat that they are subject to change, is beyond me.

Hi I used Glod in Alta for the northern lights trip, although the ship uses the same company, we booked their independent trip direct with the company only slightly cheaper , but they check the local weather app to know where the clear sky's are. The boat trip is run on large coaches and they are limited to where they can go unlike Glod who use small mini buses.

I totally recommended this company if you look them up on trip adviser, going back to last March there a few posts on there including my own they are a well run and organised company the boat trip missed out on the lights, we had a absolutely brilliant display never to be forgotten.

People are right if you search each destination cruise ports you will find all the arrival times. Unless you want to do a boat organised excursion in Tromso I suggest using the free bus shuttle into town, they stop near the tourist information they will direct you to the local buses no26 witch takes you to the ski lift for a fantastic view over Tromso much cheaper than the boats trip.

We are also on this cruise in November and have also booked the Glod "Hunting the Northern Lights" trip on our first night in Alta.

I just hope the ship will arrive as planned in Alta at 1.30pm and is not delayed.

You say that the shuttle bus stops near the tourist information in Tromso.

I have just done a street view and notice there is a coach park opposite.

Would that be the shuttle bus drop off point ? :)

We are also on this cruise in November and have also booked the Glod "Hunting the Northern Lights" trip on our first night in Alta.

I just hope the ship will arrive as planned in Alta at 1.30pm and is not delayed.

You say that the shuttle bus stops near the tourist information in Tromso.

I have just done a street view and notice there is a coach park opposite.

Would that be the shuttle bus drop off point ? :)

The tourist information is close to the drop off point not in the coach park, if you google tourist information Tromso it will give a location map. You can by bus tickets for the local buses slightly cheaper than buying on the local bus,we took the local bus over to the cable car from town then after coming down from the cable car we caught the bus to the cathedral, then walked back over the bridge to town.

We docked in Alta on time.

For the pick up in town for the Glod trip theirs two entrances to the hotel pick up point, we choose the wrong entrance but they came through the hotel to find us.

It was a brilliant trip with Glod they take you to their headquarters for a lovely bowl of soup and tell you where they are going that night to find the lights, they know where the clear sky's are.

The night we went with them in March this year the temperature was minus 20 plus wind chill, they supply suitable clothing to anyone who needs it.

They took us back to the ship at the end of the trip at 1.30 am in the morning, brilliant trip, we also booked the ice hotel trip if its open.

Happy to post any other information if you need it, we learnt a few things which would be helpful for the next time we do the northern lights cruise, we thoroughly enjoyed it.

The tourist information is close to the drop off point not in the coach park, if you google tourist information Tromso it will give a location map. You can by bus tickets for the local buses slightly cheaper than buying on the local bus,we took the local bus over to the cable car from town then after coming down from the cable car we caught the bus to the cathedral, then walked back over the bridge to town.

For the pick up in town for the Glod trip theirs two entrances to the hotel pick up point, we choose the wrong entrance but they came through the hotel to find us.

It was a brilliant trip with Glod they take you to their headquarters for a lovely bowl of soup and tell you where they are going that night to find the lights, they know where the clear sky's are.

The night we went with them in March this year the temperature was minus 20 plus wind chill, they supply suitable clothing to anyone who needs it.

They took us back to the ship at the end of the trip at 1.30 am in the morning, brilliant trip, we also booked the ice hotel trip if its open.

Happy to post any other information if you need it, we learnt a few things which would be helpful for the next time we do the northern lights cruise, we thoroughly enjoyed it.

We have also booked the independent trip with Glod for the northern lights and are being picked up at the Scandic hotel. Is the entrance we need facing the cathedral near the big sign post?

We have also booked the independent trip with Glod for the northern lights and are being picked up at the Scandic hotel. Is the entrance we need facing the cathedral near the big sign post?

No its the other side, the night they met us.

Thanks for the very useful information.:)

Edited by P-L-B

Out of interest, is your pickup time 7pm from the Scandic Hotel on your first night in Alta ?

• 2 weeks later...
Out of interest, is your pickup time 7pm from the Scandic Hotel on your first night in Alta ?

Sorry took so long to answer, yes we are going on that trip. We did the cruise excursion last time & we were lucky because we had a good show of the lights & it wasnt too far away from the ship. This time we decided to do the independent trip to have a different experience & up our chanced of seeing the lights. We are wondering what time the shuttle buses finish taking passengers into Alta to get us to the hotel

Sorry took so long to answer, yes we are going on that trip. We did the cruise excursion last time & we were lucky because we had a good show of the lights & it wasnt too far away from the ship. This time we decided to do the independent trip to have a different experience & up our chanced of seeing the lights. We are wondering what time the shuttle buses finish taking passengers into Alta to get us to the hotel

No problem.

First time for us so fingers crossed we all get to see a good light show.:)

As Innogy has pointed out, my understanding is that the shuttle buses run late and also Glod will return us to the ship after the trip.