CHEAP WAY from FCO(airport) to Civitavecchia(Cruise Docks)

52cruise52

The train IS the cheap way......... I know of no other "cheap" alternative unless you have an Italian friend willing to pick you up and drive you for free. ;)

Seriously, more economical than what? It might help if you gave an idea of what you would consider cheap. You could try to get together a group of people on your roll call to take a car or van together. It still will likely run in the neighborhood of 25 to 30 euro per person.

hey

does anyone know of a more economical way from the airport in rome to the docks? (no train please)

Thanks

-KM

As another poster said, "Why no train?". Are you better than a large percentage of Italians who ride the train daily? If you have a mobility problem, then take a limo (and find some new friends on CC to go with you.)

Trains in Italy are everyday transportation for a vast majority of the Italians. They are inexpensive and reliable; most are very clean and comfortable. I'm probably at 175+ trains in Italy and I will never stop.

hey

does anyone know of a more economical way from the airport in rome to the docks? (no train please)

The train is the way to go, but you do end up having to change (you need to ride into Rome city and back out). Its probably in the €10-15 range (it's two tickets as the airport train is run by another company)

Sorry, I have to agree, trains are the way to go

There are few options to travel from Rome FCO to Civitavecchia. Your're probably limited to these choices:

First, book through your cruise line. Most offer a shuttle but this is one of the higher priced options. The actual price will depend on your cruiseline, but your looking in the neighborhood of $175 - OUCH.

Hook up with fellow cruisers who have ALREADY booked a bus, van, or shuttle and share the cost... probably the LEAST expensive "direct" route!

Book a private shuttle yourself. Many, like www.romecabs.com and www.romashuttle.com make this run often. The prices for two folks depend on which shuttle company you choose, the time of year, demand, etc. Usually these shuttles will cost from €90-€130 for two folks, depending on who you select.

Take a taxi... I don't recommend this method. The cost will be all across the board, depending on which taxi you get into, what company you use, whether it's a Roma taxi or a Fiumicino taxi, etc. Probably in the neighborhood of €125-175... and that's if you can get a cab driver to take you to Civitavecchia...

Or you can take the train. I would take the FR1 Regional train from the FCO Airport train station to Trastevere (Cost €5.50), then transfer at this station to the Regional Train to Civitavecchia (Cost about €4.10). So for two folks, the cost would be under €20 -- or about 5 TIMES LESS than most other alternatives. I would not ride the Leonardo Express (€11) from FCO to Termini, as you will save 45 minutes to an hour by getting off at Trastevere. In addition, Termini Station is huge and you can easily get confused... especially since most Civitavecchia trains leave from a satellite platform far from the central station of Termini.

So if stairs, luggage, mobility, fatigue, or time constraints are not issues, then take the train - and save a TON of money. More "tropical drinks" on board! But if these are issues, I'd recommend you book a shuttle or "share" a ride with fellow cruisers.

If you are going to take the train, which we've done often, then these links may help you. First, read Riding Trains in Italy... and for more help at the Airport Train Station, read The FCO Train Station. The trains are very easy to use in Italy and very inexpensive. Note that the FR1, the Regional Train to Civitavecchia, and the Leonardo Express (the direct train from the Airport to Termini Station in Rome) are ALL RUN by the same company, Trenitalia. So you can buy your tickets all at once - at either a kiosk or a Trenitalia counter.

Hope that helps!

Ciao,

Ron in Rome

Edited by roninrome

Another cheap and easy option is driving yourself and renting a car.

Following car rental companies do have locations at the airport and in Civitavecchia:

US brands

AVIS

Budget

Europcar (= National/Alamo)

Hertz

Non-US brands

http://www.easycar.it

http://www.targarent.it

As long as you are limiting yourself to drive outside Rome it can be an easy option. We make the experience that renting a car with the Italian brands can be a very cheap option. Especially one-way.

You can easily first drop-off your bags in the port and then return the car and walk to the port entrance and get on your ship by the complimentary port shuttle.

We are going in fall 2010 on a PRINCESS cruise out of Civitavecchia.

Checking around for transport options NOT from cruise-industry-mafia-for-Americans-who-pays-every-price (sorry but if I do the research in English I am only only surprised about the overpriced quotations) we found this company:

http://www.airportshuttle.it/

They provide shared mini-buses which might be interesting subject to your number of persons. Obviously it's possible to reach Civitavecchia for a 2-digit-Euro-amount.

What you can also do is to check on Google yourself with the Italian expressions:

Trasferimenti Aeroporto Fiumicino Porto di Civitavecchia

I was surprised how many more companies you find beside the cruise-industry-mafia-for-Americans-who-pays-every-price companies...

Maybe it's only 30 EUR or 50 USD saving but if you book two legs it's already nearly 100 USD which I can spend better on a ship.

We have not decided yet as we are waiting for Princess confirmation where the shuttle out of town will start.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Found also now one company doing it for 90 EUR from Airport to Port in private car:

http://www.autonoleggiomz.it/booking.php

And 110 EUR from City Center to Port.

Since Princess does not give me the answer which hotel is the pick-up point for 2010 and the transfer costs 260 USD for two persons...

200 EUR for both transfers is less than 260 USD for two persons I think that we will maybe book with them.

Regards,

HeinBloed

I rented a moped in rome when I was 19 and had very fast reflexes...just about died several times from a combination of my stupidity and the wreckless driving of Italians...driving in Rome is not for the faint of heart......but it was FUN

Happy to hear you survived that!!!!!:eek: And lived to enjoy all those cruises!!!!!

Hi Debbie from most of my reading on the Roll Calls, many opt to book a Transfer with Shuttles with several from their Roll Call. This way they don't have to wait on the Cruise Transfers, which need to wait for everyone using that particular airline shuttle before they can leave. Friends returning off their Med last Month, were dropped at the terminal in Southampton and by time they got to their gate, plane was already loading. Private shuttle takes the information of those in the party, takes you to the shuttle and goes.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

• 2 months later...
level..you can roll your wheeled luggage all the way to the train..have to lift them up stairs into the train though

Depending upon the train, the lift may not be more than 6-9 inches. In all probability you will encounter the sotopassagio (underground passage) in Civitavecchia (steps up and steps down). Not that bad if you figure out how to make your wheeled luggage do the work for you.

I realize the original post said "no train please," however, to others looking at the thread and trying to determine how to get from FCO to Civitavecchia, the train was a GREAT way to go. We took the trains both ways and not only found it much less expensive than other modes of transportation, but enjoyable as well. With just a little preparation it was very easy. After riding the trains in Europe, I find that when I come home, I wish we had such an inexpensive alternative for transportation (at least in Texas).

I now look forward to the trains. My wife was a little unsure, but now she is has no apprehension about taking the train and finding our way around.

Duane

I realize the original post said "no train please," however, to others looking at the thread and trying to determine how to get from FCO to Civitavecchia, the train was a GREAT way to go. We took the trains both ways and not only found it much less expensive than other modes of transportation, but enjoyable as well. With just a little preparation it was very easy. After riding the trains in Europe, I find that when I come home, I wish we had such an inexpensive alternative for transportation (at least in Texas).

I now look forward to the trains. My wife was a little unsure, but now she is has no apprehension about taking the train and finding our way around.

Duane

Thanks for the info. I am concerned about luggage and stairs at the train station. I also love the trains, but don't know how many stairs are required wile lugging suitcases. Did you buy your tickets after you got there, or ahead of time? Also, did you take a cab to the port after arriving at Citavecchia? Thanks

wont try and spell it...if you arrive on a train that uses a middle track you have to go under the track via stairs and then back up to the station...not a joy with luggage..somebody told me that if you take a train that ends in the port you use the outside track and no stairs involved..not sure this is true...we shared a cab to the ship with another couple...there was a bunch waiting outside the station..doable if you had to by walking

• 11 months later...