San Francisco hotels

wxman4all

Cruising out of San Fran. to Alaska-Spring 2018.Hotel site reviews not very helpful(wide range of good and bad,especially for major hotel chains).Looking for areas around Fisherman's Wharf.Pier 39/Marina district.Any hotel suggestions?

Have you looked at Trip Advisor.

As many times as we have been to San Francisco I always take another look at Trip Advisor for additional options.

I am going to recommend a hotel that is not often mentioned but I think is a nice hotel and close to tourist areas and a short ride to the cruise ships.

The hotel is Argonaut and their web site is: http://www.argonauthotel.com

Keith

Keith

Have you looked at Trip Advisor.

As many times as we have been to San Francisco I always take another look at Trip Advisor for additional options.

I am going to recommend a hotel that is not often mentioned but I think is a nice hotel and close to tourist areas and a short ride to the cruise ships.

The hotel is Argonaut and their web site is: http://www.argonauthotel.com

Keith

Keith

Hi,

I have stayed at the argonauth hotel before and can recommend it. In fact I will be back in San Francisco in early March next year (after a cruise) and have booked the argonaut hotel again.

Chez

Hotel Zephyr was good when we stayed there a couple years ago. It was chosen by hotwire for us on a hotdeal and we were happy with it. No pool though if that is something you want as part of your stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How many days prior to departure? In July we stayed three days pre-cruise in the Orchard Hotel (665 Bush St) a few blocks from Union Square. Short walk to lots of great restaurants and sights. A nice spot, good reputation, helpful staff, and found a nice deal online. It is not terribly far from the pier, but too far to walk with luggage. An Uber XL was under $20. Great experience in this area.

I think that the location near Pier 39 is fine as I do several (not all) locations in the city.

I don't and neither do any of the San Francisco Destination Experts on TripAdvisor. There reasons for the Lombard motels when they are recommended, but by and large none of the DEs ever recommend FW or Pier 39.

I don't and neither do any of the San Francisco Destination Experts on TripAdvisor. There reasons for the Lombard motels when they are recommended, but by and large none of the DEs ever recommend FW or Pier 39.

The hotel that I recommended I believe is one of the highest ranked hotels recommended on Trip Advisor.

Many of the other hotels in that area I don't recommend.

But this one I like and think the location does have many benefits.

And given that this was one of the locations that the OP asked about I think it would be a good option.

Keith

The hotel that I recommended I believe is one of the highest ranked hotels recommended on Trip Advisor.

But not by the TripAdvisor Destination Experts for San Francisco.

The hotels and restaurant rankings are a joke because they are easily skewed. TripAdvisor's algorithms only measure guest satisfaction, not actual quality of the hotel. So a person used to a 2* hotel might be well satisfied in a 3* hotel and give it a 5 rating, but the person who is used to 5* and stays in a 4* isn't satisfied so they give it a 3 or even 2. Does that mean the Alise is better than the Four Seasons? Not in the slightest.

With hotels as with many things location is everything. Staying in a great hotel in a lousy locations doesn't make the location great. Besides FW not being an especially great area, it has lousy public transportation relative to the rest of the city.

But not by the TripAdvisor Destination Experts for San Francisco.

The hotels and restaurant rankings are a joke because they are easily skewed. TripAdvisor's algorithms only measure guest satisfaction, not actual quality of the hotel. So a person used to a 2* hotel might be well satisfied in a 3* hotel and give it a 5 rating, but the person who is used to 5* and stays in a 4* isn't satisfied so they give it a 3 or even 2. Does that mean the Alise is better than the Four Seasons? Not in the slightest.

With hotels as with many things location is everything. Staying in a great hotel in a lousy locations doesn't make the location great. Besides FW not being an especially great area, it has lousy public transportation relative to the rest of the city.

Thank you.

This is not my first rodeo.

I have personally stayed at the hotel that I recommended, Argonaut and thought it was very good and priced right.

I have recommended it to several other people who have cruised out of San Francisco and they thought the same.

As to other hotels my favorite in San Francisco is the Ritz Carlton and have stayed there often; love the hotel and the quiet location it is in.

And if the question was for a luxury hotel recommendation I would have given it.

The one I recommended I think is a gem and others seem to think so.

Oh well. Like most things in life this is one that everyone has their own opinion.

I've given mine. You've given yours.

Keith

:')

Thanks for the "heads-up".

Will take into consideration!

The Argonaut is great, but FW, Pier 39, etc is a lousy place to stay. Look up at the Embarcadero area and hotels like the Hotel Vitale, Harbor Court Hotel and Hotel Griffon.

Many thanks for the great info.

Will take into consideration.

The Argonaut is great, but FW, Pier 39, etc is a lousy place to stay. Look up at the Embarcadero area and hotels like the Hotel Vitale, Harbor Court Hotel and Hotel Griffon.

;)Very good info. Many thanks!

How many days prior to departure? In July we stayed three days pre-cruise in the Orchard Hotel (665 Bush St) a few blocks from Union Square. Short walk to lots of great restaurants and sights. A nice spot, good reputation, helpful staff, and found a nice deal online. It is not terribly far from the pier, but too far to walk with luggage. An Uber XL was under $20. Great experience in this area.

:')Thanks a lot for all the GREAT info.! Very helpful.

Larry

Thank you.

I have personally stayed at the hotel that I recommended, Argonaut and thought it was very good and priced right.

I have recommended it to several other people who have cruised out of San Francisco and they thought the same.

As to other hotels my favorite in San Francisco is the Ritz Carlton and have stayed there often; love the hotel and the quiet location it is in.

And if the question was for a luxury hotel recommendation I would have given it.

Oh well. Like most things in life this is one that everyone has their own opinion.

Keith

Thank you.

Mine either.

Me too.

I've recommended hotels in The Embarcadero and Union Square to hundreds of people who have cruised out of SF and just visited without cruising and the majority have enjoyed those areas.

My favorite varies depending on what is available and the purpose of the trip, but I've stayed at probably 30 different hotels in the the years I've been visiting SF, maybe more, and the Galleria Park Hotel has been the the one I've stayed at the most times for a variety of reasons, but the Palace is my overall favorite.

No one is recommending luxury hotels, but locations.

It is a gem..... in a lousy, touristy location.

Most definitely.

Well yes and if you had stuck with that philosophy from the get go the OP could have evaluated your one post and my one post and decided from there. But you didn't like my opinion so you chimed in again. I replied. And so it went.

• 1 month later...
I am booked at the Stanford Court based on a friend's recommendation. Anyone have any experience with this hotel or the area?

I've stayed at the Stanford Court several times, although not recently. It is a great hotel.

It is in the toniest neighborhood in SF, Nob Hill. I like Nob Hill a lot, but you have to Uber pretty much everyplace because it is up on top of the hill.

But overall, it is a very good pick.