MORE things Splendor ... NY style!

Cyber Kat

Hi,

I am from NY and with all the great sales happening I am hoping to book a lat minute cruise early fall (Sept). I am not exactly sure of my dates yet, but I am starting my research now and I had some questions. I will most likely be traveling solo so I am looking into an ocean view cabin (not balcony-which will be a first for me!). It looks like there are some interesting cabins aft on the main deck (they look larger 2470, 2473,2474, & 2477) but they are also under the dining room. So are they still free because these rooms tend to be noisy? Has anyone stayed in these cabins? Any really great ocean view cabins that you can recommend in general that I should keep my eye out for? Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Caro

Edited by caro1998

Hi,

I am from NY and with all the great sales happening I am hoping to book a lat minute cruise early fall (Sept). I am not exactly sure of my dates yet, but I am starting my research now and I had some questions. I will most likely be traveling solo so I am looking into an ocean view cabin (not balcony-which will be a first for me!). It looks like there are some interesting cabins aft on the main deck (they look larger 2470, 2473,2474, & 2477) but they are also under the dining room. So are they still free because these rooms tend to be noisy? Has anyone stayed in these cabins? Any really great ocean view cabins that you can recommend in general that I should keep my eye out for? Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

Caro

The cabins you mention happen to sell out quickly. They are sought after "secret rooms" They are much larger than the normal oceanview cabin, about 2 the size and odd shaped. They are under the dinning room, but the dinning room is carpeted, there will be minimal noise from that after late seating dinning. There may/will be some noise from the thrusters pulling into and out of port if you dock early in the am. There is far less foot traffic back there so all in all relatively quiet.

We have 2 of them booked for our upcoming cruise.

Cabins 2470 and 2473 have 2 large windows for sure. Not exactly sure about 2474 or 2477. they will have a couch also.

Cabins 2462 and 2465 are also odd shaped cabins which will have 2 large windows each but no couch. These used to be 1A cabins which were a great deal for travelling solo. Now they have been redone and are all 6B.

If you are travelling solo, the cabins you mention would be quite huge, do you really need all that space? The ocean view rooms are larger than the balcony cabins, because where the balcony would be is cabin space an extra 35 sq ft for a total of 220sq feet cabin space, where a balcony cabin is 185 sq ft with 35 sq ft deck space.

Hope this helps. Usually these rooms do not show up online, you have to call and request them if available.

Cabins 2470 and 2473 have 2 large windows for sure. Not exactly sure about 2474 or 2477. they will have a couch also.

Aida suggested one of these cabins to me when I upgraded from an inside to OV for my December back to backs but it wasn't available for both sailings so I passed on it. :cool:

Hi,

Thank you- this info is very helpful! These cabins were available as of last night. Although, now that you have told me about their features, I will be surprised if they are still available by the time I am ready to book.

Thanks again!

Caro

The cabins you mention happen to sell out quickly. They are sought after "secret rooms" They are much larger than the normal oceanview cabin, about 2 the size and odd shaped. They are under the dinning room, but the dinning room is carpeted, there will be minimal noise from that after late seating dinning. There may/will be some noise from the thrusters pulling into and out of port if you dock early in the am. There is far less foot traffic back there so all in all relatively quiet.

We have 2 of them booked for our upcoming cruise.

Cabins 2462 and 2465 are also odd shaped cabins which will have 2 large windows each but no couch. These used to be 1A cabins which were a great deal for travelling solo. Now they have been redone and are all 6B.

If you are travelling solo, the cabins you mention would be quite huge, do you really need all that space? The ocean view rooms are larger than the balcony cabins, because where the balcony would be is cabin space an extra 35 sq ft for a total of 220sq feet cabin space, where a balcony cabin is 185 sq ft with 35 sq ft deck space.

Hope this helps. Usually these rooms do not show up online, you have to call and request them if available.

Cyber Kat and Jimbo....thanks for the input. I wish the itinerary was HMC, GT and Nassua. I think I will pass on the spa cabin and go for the aft wrap. I will suprise DH and DS and not tell them. We always book a balcony so they will think I booked a regular balcony :D

We like Early. We eat around 6 at home, so it works for us. Heading to NYC now for our Splendor Cruise TODAY!! Will post trip report next week!!!

Catrin

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

We like Early. We eat around 6 at home, so it works for us. Heading to NYC now for our Splendor Cruise TODAY!! Will post trip report next week!!!

Catrin

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Have a fantastic cruise!

I just thought of something.....we usually cruise in April and from FL down to the caribbean, now we would be cruising from NY in the beginning of March. Any input on weather. I figure it would be cool to start but hopefully warmer the second day? I would like to use that wrap aft I want to book :p

I just thought of something.....we usually cruise in April and from FL down to the caribbean, now we would be cruising from NY in the beginning of March. Any input on weather. I figure it would be cool to start but hopefully warmer the second day? I would like to use that wrap aft I want to book :p

We did cruise on the Pride form Baltimore in April two years ago. That week was unseasonalby warm for that time of year so not a good comparison.

By day two you will be off the coast of Georgia / Florida so you should be fine. Even the first day it may be comfortable to sit on your balcony. March is such a fickle month!! :D Same thing coming back.

I have made my decision to book the Splendor for the first week of March.

I thought I had made up my mind to get an aft wrap cabin. Now I am thinking of a Spa cabin balcony instead. The cost would be about the same. There would be three of us and I would have to pay the extra spa package for the week for one of us. I just don't know what to do :confused: I can't ask Dh or DS (age 18) because I am surprising them. I usually book a regular balcony so they think I am doing that. We have never used the spa on any of our others cruises, just never thought of it. The wrap would be nice for the WOW factor but do we really need it for three people, I know the cabin is bigger also, that is nice. Are the spa cabins bigger then the regular balcony cabins? Are the balconies bigger? We do have two sea days down and two sea days back (PC, Nassua, Freeport). I would appreciate input :) If I book the Spa cabin which deck 10 or 11?

Edited by reno3

I have an aft on the 13th of aug,,,8448 it only sleeps two, don't know IF they would bring in a roll away? but in March I would go for a spa balcony the first 2 sea days' it's cold out, and you could enjoy those chilly day's in the spa. Look at the one on one time you can spend with your daughter, and than your husband... Enjoy with what ever choice you make!

Cannot comment on aft vs. spa, since we just had a regular balcony, but we did the Splendor out of NY in March. I was so worried about the weather, but it was fine. Roof was closed the first two days. (It was in the 70s down south, but windy, so they kept it closed. Opened it up once we got closer to the Bahamas.) I would definitely do it again. I did not feel like we missed out on deck and swimming time. It was great! Not like what we were used to, but great all the same!

I have an aft on the 13th of aug,,,8448 it only sleeps two, don't know IF they would bring in a roll away? but in March I would go for a spa balcony the first 2 sea days' it's cold out, and you could enjoy those chilly day's in the spa. Look at the one on one time you can spend with your daughter, and than your husband... Enjoy with what ever choice you make!

6450 and 6480 sleep 3, we have a son not daughter :p so I don't think spending time with mom is high on his list with all the girls running around ;)

Hi,

Caro

Anyone with thoughts about 2472 or 2475? They look about normal size on the deck plans and are showing available for our sailing. Do these rooms have a lot of engine noise and vibration?

• 2 weeks later...

I have not read through this entire thread so I apologize if this has been talked about before. In looking at the deck plans for gym/spa on the Splendor, I see there is a Sauna near the Ladies/Mens locker rooms but no Steam Room. I do see an Oriental Steam Bath and an Aroma Steam Bath in the Cloud 9 Spa area and I am assuming these are for use if you have a Spa Cabin or have purchased a Spa Pass. So, am I correct in assuming that there is no Steam Room available for use like on Spirit and Conquest class ships?

We did the dolphin swim through Blue Lagoon (Nassau) since Carnival only offered the dolphin experience. It was well worth it and we got to spend some time on the beach after we were done. You have to take a cab ($10) to their building where they boat you over to the Lagoon. On the return trip, they drop you off in front of the ship - very convenient!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know the best way to get to the cruise terminal. We are staying at the Wyndam Garden hotel in Newark, near the airport and we are leaving our cars there the duration of the cruise with free parking.

We are 5 ppl and 5 suitcases and have no clue how to get there. What are some of the best options?? By taxi, by limo by public transportation with hopefully not to many stop overs.

Any advice would be great, thank you, with prices and websites if possible.

Thank you

It depends on your budget, but I would get quotes for:

1. a cab (the hotel can request a mini van/suv). If your party of 5 can split the payment then great, this may be the cheapest option, but if you are a family it may not be as cost effective because there is no one to split the fee with

2. train from Newark Airport: 2 stops to New York Penn Station (this is the last stop, and it leaves you at 34th street- Madison Square Garden). You can take a short cab ride to the pier and the taxi stand can find you a cab big enough to fit all 5 of you.

3. Carnival shuttle-I've heard it is expensive at around $35/pp, but you have the peace of mind that the cruise line is handling your transportation

I would chose option 1 or 2, call and see what is more cost effective. I would get estimates from the hotel about a cab straight to the pier- it will be the easiest option as there is no luggage to lug on public transportation and it will probably be cheaper than carnival's shuttle. If the cab seems expensive, weight it against taking the train then a cab in NYC. The total train cost will be appx. $12/pp (check the NJ Transit's Train website for most up to date fares). Then the short cab ride to the terminal (appx 20 blocks).

If you need the websites:

NJ Transit from Newark Airport to New york Penn Station fare and schedule: http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

Mileage calculator ((from Madison Sq. Garden/Penn Station 34th 7th Ave to 51 street & 12th ave., Pier 90 ):http://maps.randmcnally.com/mileage-calculator.do

NY Taxi fare (from Madison Sq. Garden/Penn Station 34th 7th Ave to 51 street & 12th ave., Pier 90 )-http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml

Does anyone know the best way to get to the cruise terminal. We are staying at the Wyndam Garden hotel in Newark, near the airport and we are leaving our cars there the duration of the cruise with free parking.

We are 5 ppl and 5 suitcases and have no clue how to get there. What are some of the best options?? By taxi, by limo by public transportation with hopefully not to many stop overs.

Any advice would be great, thank you, with prices and websites if possible.

Thank you

Does the hotel have a free shuttle to the airport? If so you can always take their shuttle to the airport and catch the Carnival shuttle to the cruise port. That is what I did last March from EWR Marriott and what I will be doing in December from the Hampton Inn at EWR.

I have not read through this entire thread so I apologize if this has been talked about before. In looking at the deck plans for gym/spa on the Splendor, I see there is a Sauna near the Ladies/Mens locker rooms but no Steam Room. I do see an Oriental Steam Bath and an Aroma Steam Bath in the Cloud 9 Spa area and I am assuming these are for use if you have a Spa Cabin or have purchased a Spa Pass. So, am I correct in assuming that there is no Steam Room available for use like on Spirit and Conquest class ships?

Steam rooms is for cloud 9 spa cabins or you can buy the spa pass.

• 4 weeks later...