Viking Cities of Light Help

Hello hostjazzbeau,

I had not realized that difference. I just notice sometimes that native English have a different way of pronouncing latin words. The German wikipedia explains "Austria" this way: "Diese im lateinischen Kontext gebrauchte Bezeichnung ist nicht lateinischer Herkunft, sondern vom altgermanischen: *austar-, althochdeutsch („östlich, im Osten“) abgeleitet, ..." which means the term Austria is used in a Latin context yet does not originate from Latin, but from Old Germanic *austar- in Old High German a stem word for things in the East. Incidentally, some linguists but the word Ostern (Easter) in a similar context related to "East" and "direction of the morning sun", but others go with a more Latin origin of the word.

Thank you for feeding the benevolent linguistic beast inside me. :D

About the itinerary: the town of Bernkastel-Kues, a port on the Viking any many other itineraries on the Moselle, is the birthplace of the medieval man of the church and philosopher Nikolaus von Kues, also named Cusanus.

notamermaid

After Koblenz - I recommend the cable car ride up onto Ehrenbreitstein - you will see the UNESCO world heritage site with the many castles along the Rhine river banks high on the hills. Get ready to take lots of photos. :)

At Mainz you enter the Main river. There are some great small and large town along the Main. Those doing the Amsterdam to Budapest itineraries can give you some information on those places, as well.

notamermaid

Thank you so much for your time and help.

I have already been on the Rhine Getaway with my mom last year so we have visited the Marksburg Castle outside Koblenz and the Heidelberg Castle in Heidelberg. We dotn care to see these attractions again.

Do you have any advice on what to do in these towns if we aren't going on the planned tours?

I might need to figure out which actual town we pull up to so we can get advice...unless you already know ;)

Thank you in advance. My travel documents are suppose to arrive any day so I might know more soon.

Trina

• 5 months later...

We are taking the Viking Cities of Light Paris to Prague October 12, 2017. A lot of questions but is the Tour of Prague all walking?

If there is another forum and I havent found it, please let me know.

My mother (late 50s) and I (late 20s) are completing our second Viking cruise this October 27th for Cities of Light Paris-Prague (last was Rhine Getaway Oct 2015).

We are very excited and all booked. If you have any advice for this tour, please let me know!

We are taking the Viking Cities of Light Paris to Prague October 12, 2017. A lot of questions but is the Tour of Prague all walking?

It involves quite a bit of walking. Take a sturdy pair of thick soled walking shoes or boots. Your feet and legs will be glad you did this.

Save the stylish, thin soled shoes for the hotel and/or ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 months later...

We just got back from the Cities of Light tour and we started in Prague, so it must be confessed that we had more energy than we had at the end of our trip. As I recall, the sightseeing tour of Prague began on the bus with a panoramic view of Prague which went to the Castle. We exited the bus and were divided into groups with a tour guide and those wonderful Quietvox devices that allow you to hear everything he says. The tour of the castle included St. Vitus Cathedral and the castle grounds, but not the gardens. After the tour we returned to the bus for the trip back down the hill where the castle is located. We then followed our guide for a tour which included Charles Bridge and Old Town Square and its astronomical clock. The tour then went on through the Jewish Quarter, back to the Prague Hilton. We opted to stay downtown and to have lunch in a restaurant that our guide recommended- Restaurace Mincovna right on the square. It was a great choice and I got to try the beef with cream sauce and cranberries which is a Prague specialty. It was excellent.

I don't remember being too tired after our walking but comfy shoes, like my Sketchers, are a must. The streets in all of our stops were cobblestone, making any sort of heel treacherous. Also, on the Prague tour, as long as you knew how to get back to the Hilton, you could stop for a beer or coffee and then just go your own way - easy to do if you just followed the river. This was not true on other stops of the cruise, however, there was most always an "Easy Option" tour in which most everything was covered but at a slower pace.

If anyone else has a question, I would be glad to answer if I can.

We just got back from the Cities of Light tour and we started in Prague, so it must be confessed that we had more energy than we had at the end of our trip. As I recall, the sightseeing tour of Prague began on the bus with a panoramic view of Prague which went to the Castle.

Wispackrat, appreciated your review. We are on this tour same direction in August. Other than the bus overview, was there anything else planned in Paris?

Thanks.

We too are booked on a Prague to Paris cruise on a Viking next year.

I have a question regarding OBC. My TA is offering some OBC. What can that be used for as most things are already included?

Also, I know that soda is provided with meals - what about stocking the fridge with soft drinks? Is there a drinks package one can purchase?

TIA

We too are booked on a Prague to Paris cruise on a Viking next year.

I have a question regarding OBC. My TA is offering some OBC. What can that be used for as most things are already included?

Also, I know that soda is provided with meals - what about stocking the fridge with soft drinks? Is there a drinks package one can purchase?

TIA

There will be optional excursions offered that you can use the OBC for. Also, cocktails in the lounge, or select wines (above the included ones) at lunch/dinner. Also, items in the tiny gift shop.

There will be optional excursions offered that you can use the OBC for. Also, cocktails in the lounge, or select wines (above the included ones) at lunch/dinner. Also, items in the tiny gift shop.

Thank you.

I am sure I can use it for laundry as well.

Can OBC be used for gratuities or are those included?

We just got back from the Cities of Light tour and we started in Prague, so it must be confessed that we had more energy than we had at the end of our trip. As I recall, the sightseeing tour of Prague began on the bus with a panoramic view of Prague which went to the Castle. We exited the bus and were divided into groups with a tour guide and those wonderful Quietvox devices that allow you to hear everything he says. The tour of the castle included St. Vitus Cathedral and the castle grounds, but not the gardens. After the tour we returned to the bus for the trip back down the hill where the castle is located. We then followed our guide for a tour which included Charles Bridge and Old Town Square and its astronomical clock. The tour then went on through the Jewish Quarter, back to the Prague Hilton. We opted to stay downtown and to have lunch in a restaurant that our guide recommended- Restaurace Mincovna right on the square. It was a great choice and I got to try the beef with cream sauce and cranberries which is a Prague specialty. It was excellent.

I don't remember being too tired after our walking but comfy shoes, like my Sketchers, are a must. The streets in all of our stops were cobblestone, making any sort of heel treacherous. Also, on the Prague tour, as long as you knew how to get back to the Hilton, you could stop for a beer or coffee and then just go your own way - easy to do if you just followed the river. This was not true on other stops of the cruise, however, there was most always an "Easy Option" tour in which most everything was covered but at a slower pace.

We leave on a Paris to Prague itinerary in a few weeks, and I'm curious to know which excursions (either optional or included) you thought were particularly great, along with any duds.

We leave on a Paris to Prague itinerary in a few weeks, and I'm curious to know which excursions (either optional or included) you thought were particularly great, along with any duds.

wispackrat, could you say more about the Paris included tour? I'm thinking it's the morning after arrival and is a bus overview of the city. How long was it and when did you get back to the hotel? I'd like to plan the rest of the day. Thanks.

As far as the tours in Paris - Yes, there is an overview tour on a bus on the morning after your arrival. We toured around and only got off the bus at Notre Dame and at the Eiffel Tower. It was Sunday, so there was no tour as such inside Norte Dame as Mass was going on, but we were able to walk around and admire the beautiful cathedral. Then there was a bit of free time, then back to the bus for the rest of the city tour and a 10 minute photo stop a few blocks from the Eiffel Tower but with a great view. Then we went back to the hotel and I am not certain, but we got there somewhere around noon, so the rest of the day is yours.

There are actually quite a few optional tours in Paris:

THE PALACE OF VERSAILLES - this optional tour was given from 2:00-6:00 after the city tour and cost 149 euros per person. We did not take this tour, but those who did said Versailles was quite impressive and ornate and on that weekend day it was very crowded as well as very warm since Paris was experiencing a heatwave.

MONTMARTE HILL - Given from 2:15-5:45, this optional tour costs 49 euros. I did this tour later on in our stay, as we did the Paris extension, but I am sure it is the same. We took a bus to the base of the hill and after walking up the hill a few blocks, we took a finicular to the steps of Sacre-Coeur which we explored. The view of Paris from the top of the hill was incredible as it is the second highest point in the area. Then our guide toured us around the bohemian area where artists and writers frequented cafes and lived. We stopped for a treat of pastry and a drink, before going back down the hill and the bus and more touring of the city. This was a very nice tour and our guide was excellent, but it was not one of my favorites just because there were more interesting tours earlier on in the trip.

PARIS CABARET WITH DINNER - Transfer to the Paradis Latin in the Latin Quarter where you have front row reserved seats. After a Chateaubriand dinner, there is a very complete revue with acrobats,masked dancers, ballets and the can- can. The cost is 219 euros per person and the time is from 7:30-11:30. We did not do this tour, so I have no idea how it was.

These are the tours available for those who did not take the post cruise extension. There were five optional tours given for those who did stay longer.

In regard to OBC - be aware that this credit can only be used onboard and not in the originating city for optional excursions. We began our trip in Prague, so (not being onboard yet) we could not use OBC for the optional Prague by Night tour, but paid for it on the shore excursion website. Once on board the Alsvin, however, we could use the OBC for any shore excursion thereafter, even those in Paris.

Viking is very explicit about how OBC can be used: optional excursions made while on the ship, drinks apart from those included with lunch or dinner, laundry and purchases from the very limited gift nook.

Gratuities cannot be paid with OBC.

As far as the tours in Paris - Yes, there is an overview tour on a bus on the morning after your arrival. We toured around and only got off the bus at Notre Dame and at the Eiffel Tower. It was Sunday, so there was no tour as such inside Norte Dame as Mass was going on, but we were able to walk around and admire the beautiful cathedral. Then there was a bit of free time, then back to the bus for the rest of the city tour and a 10 minute photo stop a few blocks from the Eiffel Tower but with a great view. Then we went back to the hotel and I am not certain, but we got there somewhere around noon, so the rest of the day is yours.

There are actually quite a few optional tours in Paris:

THE PALACE OF VERSAILLES - this optional tour was given from 2:00-6:00 after the city tour and cost 149 euros per person. We did not take this tour, but those who did said Versailles was quite impressive and ornate and on that weekend day it was very crowded as well as very warm since Paris was experiencing a heatwave.

MONTMARTE HILL - Given from 2:15-5:45, this optional tour costs 49 euros. I did this tour later on in our stay, as we did the Paris extension, but I am sure it is the same. We took a bus to the base of the hill and after walking up the hill a few blocks, we took a finicular to the steps of Sacre-Coeur which we explored. The view of Paris from the top of the hill was incredible as it is the second highest point in the area. Then our guide toured us around the bohemian area where artists and writers frequented cafes and lived. We stopped for a treat of pastry and a drink, before going back down the hill and the bus and more touring of the city. This was a very nice tour and our guide was excellent, but it was not one of my favorites just because there were more interesting tours earlier on in the trip.

PARIS CABARET WITH DINNER - Transfer to the Paradis Latin in the Latin Quarter where you have front row reserved seats. After a Chateaubriand dinner, there is a very complete revue with acrobats,masked dancers, ballets and the can- can. The cost is 219 euros per person and the time is from 7:30-11:30. We did not do this tour, so I have no idea how it was.

These are the tours available for those who did not take the post cruise extension. There were five optional tours given for those who did stay longer.

This is so helpful, thank you! Any other tours along the river that were particularly great?

In regard to OBC - be aware that this credit can only be used onboard and not in the originating city for optional excursions. We began our trip in Prague, so (not being onboard yet) we could not use OBC for the optional Prague by Night tour, but paid for it on the shore excursion website. Once on board the Alsvin, however, we could use the OBC for any shore excursion thereafter, even those in Paris.

Viking is very explicit about how OBC can be used: optional excursions made while on the ship, drinks apart from those included with lunch or dinner, laundry and purchases from the very limited gift nook.

We are concerned because some of the excursions are already sold out so there is no chance for us to purchase them onboard. Oh well, what can we do! Not much at this point. We leave shortly for the Prague to Paris trip and are very excited. Can you please tell me how long the ride is from Prague to the ship and also how long it is from the ship to Paris. I have heard it is quite a drive but no one has been able to tell me how long. Thanks!

Thank you – very helpful.

Re: tours in Paris. We arrive in Paris late and do not have a tour on arrival:

Disembark in Trier this morning,then travel to Luxembourg where, at the American Cemetery, you can pay homage tothe thousands of soldiers who lost their lives during the World War II Battle of the Bulge. See the city of Luxembourg on a guided tour, then stop for lunch before continuing on to Paris. When you arrive in Paris, the romantic capital of France, check in to the Le Méridien Étoile (or similar) for a 2-night stay.Your evening is free to explore and dine on your own.

We have an AM tour next morning to Louvre.

Rosieo - Do not be concerned about the optional excursions being all filled up. Since you are leaving on your cruise in a short time, Viking has probably closed the excursion applications that can be done online. They do that about 10 days before. Once you arrive at your starting point in Prague, you probably will be able to book the optional excursion, Prague By Night, if you want. However, if you have OBC and want to use it for the optional excursions, you must wait until you board the Alsvin to use it. We found a signup sheet for the excursions in our room. Take the sheet to the desk and you will be signed up

In regard to the bus rides to and from the ship. What can I say. They are bus rides but on rather comfortable buses. The ride from Prague is divided a bit; the first part to Nurnberg is about four hours, but they do stop at a huge rest stop halfway there. The bus driver is required to make a stop and passengers can use the facilities (please note that there is a bathroom on the bus, tiny but useful) and shop for whatever. Once in Nurnberg, we were brought to the city center where we were free to wander, enjoy the market, and to have lunch for about an hour and a half. Then there is a bus tour (just what we wanted, more bus, but at least there are distractions). We did disembark at Hitler's parade grounds for a presentation by our guide. Then it was back to the bus for an hour trip to Bamberg and the Alsvin.

The ride from Trier to Paris - I am not entirely sure about the length of this trip. We did stop partway to visit the impressive American cemetery in Luxembourg. It was just outside the capital where we took a walking tour with a guide which was interesting. We then reboarded the bus for our trip to the Meridien Etoile. This trip seemed shorter, but it was several hours.

As far as tours that I would particularly recommend. In Wurzburg there was a choice between the included tour of the Bishop's Residenz with a walking tour of Wurzburg and an optional tour of Rothenberg ob der Tauber ending with the tour of the Bishop's Residenz but no Wurzburg. We opted for the optional tour and it was our favorite. There was a bus ride on the Romantic Road to the fairy tale town of Rothemberg ob der Tauber. We had a walking tour of the town, then free time with some suggestions for activities and then an included lunch at a lovely restaurant. On the way back, we visited the Bishop's Residenz before returning to the ship. From what I heard, the included tour of Wurzburg was also very good. The choice is yours.

The included tour of Heidelberg was excellent also. The castle, though mostly in ruins, is lovely and the tour of the town was very interesting. We had been to Heidelberg on a previous cruise and enjoyed it, but this time lunch with college students in an old hotel was included and added a lot to the experience.

We also enjoyed the Gutenberg Museum and demonstration in the included Mainz tour and we took a cable car ride in Rudesheim which afforded wonderful views of the area. We did this on our own as there was no official tour in Rudesheim and we were there quite a while.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise! The one piece of advice I might give you is to do the things that you enjoy, not necessarily the things that you think that you should do. Prague, and especially Paris, have so much to offer and if you try to do everything, you will exhaust yourself. In looking back, I think that we enjoyed the river cruise the most. It was so relaxing and refreshing. After a morning or afternoon having a tour of a new place, it was like coming back home to return to the calmness of the ship. The crew of the Alsvin and especially the Program Director, Bojan Bozic, were above anything that we could have wished for. Enjoy your cruise!

As far as tours that I would particularly recommend. In Wurzburg there was a choice between the included tour of the Bishop's Residenz with a walking tour of Wurzburg and an optional tour of Rothenberg ob der Tauber ending with the tour of the Bishop's Residenz but no Wurzburg. We opted for the optional tour and it was our favorite. There was a bus ride on the Romantic Road to the fairy tale town of Rothemberg ob der Tauber. We had a walking tour of the town, then free time with some suggestions for activities and then an included lunch at a lovely restaurant. On the way back, we visited the Bishop's Residenz before returning to the ship. From what I heard, the included tour of Wurzburg was also very good. The choice is yours.

The included tour of Heidelberg was excellent also. The castle, though mostly in ruins, is lovely and the tour of the town was very interesting. We had been to Heidelberg on a previous cruise and enjoyed it, but this time lunch with college students in an old hotel was included and added a lot to the experience.

We also enjoyed the Gutenberg Museum and demonstration in the included Mainz tour and we took a cable car ride in Rudesheim which afforded wonderful views of the area. We did this on our own as there was no official tour in Rudesheim and we were there quite a while.

I have questions about the Heidelberg day. We went on the Rhine Getaway so toured the castle. Were you given any options on that day other than the included excursion? Wondering if the ship moved during the day or if someone can go into town from the ship to do things on their own. My sister is recovering from knee surgery so we may want to skip the castle since we have seen it to give her knee a rest. Any insight you can give would be appreciated. Also I would love it if you could post the daily sheet that shows the schedule for that day.

Looking forward to any information you can post.

Penny