Men's Spa Facilities on Cruise ships: Which ones do you think are the best?

Just off the Diamond Princess -

Men's locker room was also a cool-down area, which was really nice. You don't need to leave your sea pass card to get a locker, as the lockers have combinations. No key.

The men's area is free of charge. The sauna was pretty decent and warm, dark with two levels. Holds about 6 to 7 guys comfortably. The steam room was very nice! Built in seats (fiberglass?) around the inside which would seat around 12 or 14 guys. The steam wasn't too intense but enough to get the job done. :) Three showers in the men's area and a water fountain. Lots of fresh towels and the service was good.

The Lotus Spa area was very nice, we enjoyed it. I think it was $190 for 15 days, but we were in a suite so it was complimentary. Heated tile loungers, 5 or 6 and they were never completely filled up. One large Turkish-style steam room, one aromatic (2-person) steam room, two rain showers and a pretty large dry sauna. Directly outside is an "adults only" pool with loungers (free). Directly adjacent to the free men's locker / steam area and only a few steps from the pay Lotus Spa. I think this was one of the best set ups. Enjoyed it!

Edited by Mermen

Just off the Diamond Princess -

Men's locker room was also a cool-down area, which was really nice. You don't need to leave your sea pass card to get a locker, as the lockers have combinations. No key.

The men's area is free of charge. The sauna was pretty decent and warm, dark with two levels. Holds about 6 to 7 guys comfortably. The steam room was very nice! Built in seats (fiberglass?) around the inside which would seat around 12 or 14 guys. The steam wasn't too intense but enough to get the job done. :) Three showers in the men's area and a water fountain. Lots of fresh towels and the service was good.

The Lotus Spa area was very nice, we enjoyed it. I think it was $190 for 15 days, but we were in a suite so it was complimentary. Heated tile loungers, 5 or 6 and they were never completely filled up. One large Turkish-style steam room, one aromatic (2-person) steam room, two rain showers and a pretty large dry sauna. Directly outside is an "adults only" pool with loungers (free). Directly adjacent to the free men's locker / steam area and only a few steps from the pay Lotus Spa. I think this was one of the best set ups. Enjoyed it!

Glad you enjoyed it. I've been very happy with most of the Princess setups. Diamond, Sapphire, and Caribbean all have the same setup. Don't remember what the Dawn had and just off a 3 day Golden Princess.

Golden was interesting because even though the sream and sauna are free they are located in the Lotus Spa adult pool area. Seperate for men/women on each side with a shower for each.

Dry sauna was hot and always on, steam sauna used an on demand switch outside that took some getting used to. Most people assumed it was broken because there wasn't really a way to know if it was on. If you hit the button more than once I think it canceled it out. It took at least one cycle (10-15 min) to get steamy and up to a decent temp.

Being outside next to the pool it's not really easy to go without a suit. Snag a deck chair if you can so you have a place to cool down in between. Saw a few times when women were on the men's side but not very often. Because it was such a short cruise many people didn't seem to be using the area much.

Locker room was very small with bathroom, combo lockers, two small showers (smaller than those in cabin), and changing area.

Looking forward to my next cruise on the Celebrity Reflection.

• 2 weeks later...

I missed my chance to see Royal Princess, from the deckplans the spa is not in it's usual location. Instead it is very low and far away from the gym facilities. Hopefully Princess doesn't follow the trend of other lines and deny access even to basic steam and sauna facilities in the locker room areas.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My favorite ship, 640-pax Pacific Princess, (see also: Ocean Princess, Azamara, Oceania) has separate steam (no sauna) for men and women. I agree that steaming should not be encumbered by shorts or towels - must be naked - so this fits the bill. Plenty of towels, showers, good locker space and iced lemon water to cool you. Just off the steam/locker room is a semi-private deck for sunbathing and a large thermal whirlpool and outdoor shower. The deck is divided, men on starboard, women on port, but you may cross over if you are a couple. There is a daily charge (unless you're in a suite) which includes deck service of snacks and drinks... and if you take a lounge up front, you can even sunbathe nude, which is my choice. I know that there are guys who sun in this area without paying the fee; there's no hassle from the staff.

I agree that steaming should not be encumbered by shorts or towels - must be naked - so this fits the bill.

I just got back from a 7 night on Freedom of the Seas and can't agree with you more. Freedom has a nice sauna and steam, but there were a couple of men who not only wore shorts/trunks, but wore sandles/flip flops and then put their feet up so that the shoes were up on the bench where others sit. Not hygienic.

Thinking of a Norwegian cruise on the Rotterdam later in 2014. Curious if any men have experienced the spa / steam / sauna setup?

It's too bad all of the pictures which were once on here have been removed...bummer.

Thanks for any info!

Thinking of a Norwegian cruise on the Rotterdam later in 2014. Curious if any men have experienced the spa / steam / sauna setup?

It's too bad all of the pictures which were once on here have been removed...bummer.

Thanks for any info!

Hi Gary, HAL Rotterdam has a small dry sauna (3 - 4 pax) and two large showers in the mens locker room. On HAL's deckplans (8 Lido deck) it appears that the setup has changed during the most recent dry-dock, which seems a bit odd... but anyways, it's still there. Have sailed Rotterdam a couple of times and never ran into a lot of sauna users, only once I had the "pleasure" of meeting someone (entertainment staff... how appropriate!), this happened late approx. 9:30PM just before housekeeping came to shut down the sauna. The entertainment guy showed me around the place, there's a relaxation room across the back entrance of the locker room, it's intended for paying spa guests but he told me that it is OK to use the daybeds and complimentary beverages. At the end of the relaxation room there's a door to a small open deck which was quite nice for a chat or to enjoy a breath of fresh air.

But in all honesty, when I see how many=X= cruises you guys have made in the past I would think twice before going to HAL... you're heading for a dissapointment. I'm a 4**** Mariner at HAL, but the loyalty perks are peanuts compared with Captain's Club Elite status (or are you already Elite Plus in the new reward program?). Besides the perks the ship will not meet your expectations either, the service is GREAT but everything is more classic and of a lower technologic level than the =X= fleet. Connie will be doing a couple of nice Norwegian itineraries from Amsterdam to consider also, and so will Infinity from Harwich UK. Happy sailings! Leo

Hi Leo,

Thanks for the great information. I did see Connie's itinerary and we're considering that too...my boss and his partner have been hounding me for years to try HAL. We are now Elite Plus on =X=, and the perks are very good. We tried Princess (again) and though the sauna / steam was great, the service was a big let-down.

Hope to run into you on an upcoming cruise!

Thanks again.

Hi Gents,

Anyone have any info on the NCL Breakaway's facilities? I heard that there are only coed sauna/steam room which are obviously not clothing optional. Anyone have any reliable information on the Breakaway. Sailing her in the Spring and will be disappointed if I cant take a steam.

Recently had the pleasure of sailing the Explorer of the Seas. I loved the facilities onboard. Nice and steamy in the steamroom and perfect low lighting to relax. Met a few new friends :) onboard.

Cool down bench just outside and a couple of showers directly outside of the steamroom to use for cooling off etc.

Sauna was nice and big with two tiers but I prefer steam to sauna. 4 glassed in showers nearer to the locker area.

Any info on the breakaway is appreciated.

• 5 weeks later...

NCL Pride of America sailed Nov 2011, she just had a refurb in the last year but I don't believe the spa was touched. The steam and dry sauna were both somewhat small and underused on my sailing. Tended to be mostly crew and a few international guests. Both are inside the locker room and were free of charge, locker keys available from spa reception.

Carnival Paradise? Sailed May 2009 I think when she was on the West Coast doing 3/4 night Ensenada runs. Spa area was newer than the rest of the ship and had a nice size steam and dry sauna. Because of the short sailing didn't have a lot of time to check it out more than once or twice.

Carnival Paradise? Sailed May 2009 I think when she was on the West Coast doing 3/4 night Ensenada runs. Spa area was newer than the rest of the ship and had a nice size steam and dry sauna. Because of the short sailing didn't have a lot of time to check it out more than once or twice.

Cool thanks. Hope I can try it out a few times. There is just too much to do on a ship, especially my first time lol.

Just off Grandeur of the Sea Dec 3 cruise your above info is correct about her mens spa.

I just came off of the Enchantment and there were "NO" steam rooms or saunas. They propose a "steamed" shower, thats it. They were taken out some time ago. Boring cruise!!!!!

Some additional informations about the spa facilities onboard other cruise ships not mentioned before (if I'm not wrong):

-Costa Pacifica, Serena, Concordia, Luminosa & the new Costa Deliziosa: thermal suite (parte of the so called Samsara Spa). Co-ed and extra charge (you need to buy a daily pass or a full cruise pass). Two small saunas, free of charge, close to the gym, onboard Pacifica, Serena and Concordia.

-Costa Magica, Fortuna: separeted large saunas and steam baths. Free of charge.

-Celebrity Century: separeted small saunas. Free of charge. Thermal suite, co-ed, extra charge.

-Grandeur of the Seas & Vision of the Seas: separeted quite large saunas and steam baths. Free of charge.

-Splendour of the Seas & Legend of the Seas: separeted good size sauna and steam baths. Free of charge.

I'm still quite confused about the Enchantment of the Seas. I have read that the former saunas and steam baths were removed after the lenghtening (the original configuration was probably pretty much the same of the sister ship Grandeur of the Seas), but a lot of sources on the web mention a sauna, including the Royal Caribbean International web site. Who have been onboard this ship recently to tell the truth ?

The Enchantment does NOT has a sauna or steam room for men. The only had a "steam shower" for one. BORING!!!! I know this is an older post but wanted to clear the air......