I'm RUNNING to the ship!

Cruise Cat

Most treadmills now a days have a quick start button all you have to do is get on hit the button and start walking, Then you can increase the speed by pressing the up arrows.

As far as your knees, As long as you buy GOOD SHOES you won't hve a problem, Go to a running store not a sporting goods store for your first pair.

SmoothDancer - When doing any type of excercise with your legs, body position/posture is the key to not injuring your knees and ankles. I can't go through it all and I am not an expert, but you might ask some trainers at your gym about it.

Chuck

Three miles on treadmill Friday evening. Yesterday, while in NYC to see Big East Championship, walked from cross-town, subway to WTC site, walked to Battery Park, up to South Street Seaport, to Chinatown for lunch, up Little Italy, across to Lower East Side, and Up to Soho, and cross-town again. Total time walking (w/ 74 year old father in tow, bless him!): 2.5 hours. Figure 4 miles.

Start date: 3/5/06

Miles Behind Me: 20

Miles to Go: 1142

Days Remaining: 365

Yesterday was a great day, Put me down for 8 miles @ 9 1/2 minute miles.

Just for your info started Jan. 9th @ 187.7 lbs and 13.9 % body fat

Today March 12th 174.2 lbs and 11.4 % body fat

Today is the first day of the rest of our lives.

I have really enjoyed reading this thread and have a few questions for the runners.

I compete in ballroom dancing, and I am rather protective of my knees! Since the ballroom dance position is always with a bent knee it does put a lot of stress on ones knees. The upper body stretches up and out while the lower body(the bent knees )stays very low to the floor. I wonder if running would increase the stress on my knees? We have a competition coming up and I am trying to increase my stamina and thought this would be good if it will not damage my knees any further.

Then the problem... I am just scared to death of treadmills because I just dont know how to do it. I belong to a gym and frankly am just to embarrased to ask for help. I have to be the only person in the world not quite sure how to operate the machine.... Do you turn it on, begin to walk or visa versa?

Dreadmills. I hate them but they work on snowy days. You would be better off on a dirt road imo.

Also running. If your knees are, well you compete in ballroom. Running is really hard on your joints, knees. I would walk instead for a while and see how you do first.

Dreadmills. I hate them but they work on snowy days. You would be better off on a dirt road imo.

Also running. If your knees are, well you compete in ballroom. Running is really hard on your joints, knees. I would walk instead for a while and see how you do first.

After years of running the only people that say that Running is really hard on your joints / knees are the people that don't run!

I know people do get injured BUT..............................................

If you start out slow and buy good shoes and listen to your body you will do fine.

After years of running the only people that say that Running is really hard on your joints / knees are the people that don't run!

I know people do get injured BUT..............................................

If you start out slow and buy good shoes and listen to your body you will do fine.

So you are saying that I don't run? Last year I competed in several triathlons and running races including several 5 and 10K's as well as a 10 mile race, the results of which (CRIM) are available online if you do a search. I run about 30-35 miles a week. I also know a lot of runners with damaged knees from going to fast too soon. I have no reason to lie about my record and since race results are on the internet it would be to my detriment to.

I am also a (ISSA) certified personal trainer. I have been running for several years now and know what I am talking about. You are not required to agree with me but I find your veiled assertion that I lie to be offensive.

Sorry, Did not mean to say that you are not a runner (when I reread it seems that way,SORRY), What I meant was that the people I come in contact with, When I tell them I am a runner and they are not, They always bring up the knee issue which I think at times is just a cop out.

And like I/WE said people do get hurt but If you take it slow or not fast you will be on the road to healthy running.

Again so sorry for the misunderstaing.

Sorry, Did not mean to say that you are not a runner (when I reread it seems that way,SORRY), What I meant was that the people I come in contact with, When I tell them I am a runner and they are not, They always bring up the knee issue which I think at times is just a cop out.

And like I/WE said people do get hurt but If you take it slow or not fast you will be on the road to healthy running.

Again so sorry for the misunderstaing.

Apology accepted and moving on from here. I just urge caution. The first year I was running I badly overtrained. I was so into it I didn't look for the signs that it was too much. I got pneumonia and missed my marathon. I was miserable for months because of it. I just like people to build up slowly to their obessions.

well, i'm back on track after hurting my ankle last week - but it is all healed up (it was just slightly bruised) and i was back at the gym on sunday...

March 12th - 11.15 miles, 708 cal (on xtrainer, stepper and bike - the treadmills were all being used)

Total Miles Logged - 26.72 miles

Total Calories Burned - 1955 cal

Miles to go before cruise - 177.28 miles

Miles to go Total - 4362.28 miles

jocey

Hi all,

Wow, some of you are really cranking out the miles. I was trying to rest my knees a little. The arthritis was really acting up last week. I'm getting back on track and did 1.25 miles this morning.

Cruise: 3/4/07

Miles walked: 4.75

Miles to go: 1515.25

Stacy

Good morning folks,

I was able to do another 1.25 miles this morning. My knee hurts a little. I think I'll try some Naprosen for a few days to see if that helps.

Stacy

Cruise: 3/4/07

Miles walked: 6.00

Miles to go: 1514

• 2 weeks later...

Pain in my upper hamstring is almost completely gone. I only feel a slight twinge every now and then when I bend oddly. Stretching as much as possible. Will give it one more full week before I start on the treadmill again and will take it more slowly this time. Plan to get back in the gym tomorrow and do some weights and abs.

Come on everyone! Let's Go!

alright everyone, it seems that the illness that has been plaguing my family for the last little while has lifted. combine that with the hectic schedule at work subsiding, and i am back to logging the miles - starting tonight! i'll keep you posted!

jocey

I, on the other hand... This has been another tough winter here. I still need surgery and now Herne has been diagnosed as almost completly deaf (we always knew he had only one hearing ear) and decisions need to be made about what we're going to do with that. I am starting back up in a week or so when things calm down here.

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't given up the ship yet! This upper hamstring injury has really thrown me for a loop, but I am back in the gym doing some lifting, lots of leg stretching, and even got on the treadmill again on Friday! I walked a half-mile. No running and nothing strenuous as I will sloooowly build up to that. I had no pain yesterday or today (also did not have that hour plus dirve to work those days either). What's also killing me is that after 2 years of complaining, my gym finally got new treadmills. These are nice new Star-Tracs with built in fans and everything! Odd to see every treadmill working again at the same time. The demand has also gone up though.

Currently "walking" to the ship, but I will be running again before she leaves!

Wow I never though of this, what a GREAT idea! I just started running again yesterday. I don't belong to a gym, but I have a manual treadmill at home, and I enjoy walking and jogging in the local parks around my home. I think I'm gonna buy run with you guys! My cruise leaves in 165 days on Oct 1st. Miami is approx 1100 miles from where I am. Since I don't have a regular treadmill that I can use on cruddy days here I think I might have to dust off my bike and get a bike rack for my car to keep up with what I'd like to do! I think that 1100 miles is pretty steep for me so I'm going to set my goal for 1/2 that right now, so that's about 550 miles. I think with the walking, biking, and jogging that is a pretty good goal. Hmmm....might have to find a 2nd hand treadmill to keep in my spare bedroom now!!! I wish I had time to exercise every day, but this should keep me motivated to do it more often! Well...I guess I'll add yesterdays short run around my neighborhood to start, tonight the hubby and I have some major yard work to tend to! I think I might buy a pedometer to help me keep track since I don't have a treadmill at home. Thanks for the awsome idea!

Start Date: 4/18/06

Cruise Date: 10/1/06

Miles Traveled: 1

Miles to go: 549

NGL - Welcome to the thread!:)

Just don't try to over-do it in the beginnning like I did. I got a serious pull/strain to my upper hamstring by pushing too fast.:mad: I lost a month and one-half of good running and excercise to rest and stretch it and have just now started walking on the treadmill again. I am shooting for mid-may before I start jogging and June before running again. In the mean time, I have to do that diet thing again:(

Miles and Goals - Currently under re-evaluation.

Agreement. Just take it easy when you start. You can't take it all off overnight, it didn't go on that way.

I start running tomorrow to train for the spring races. I just had a HORRIBLE shock the other day. I kept all the weight off I lost except for TEN pounds! YIKES! That's 20 pounds to lose before my cruise in July. Since I will be cruising during my Half Ironman I am going to have to pick another race. Nothing till I get back for sure.

Well, I didn't walk or anything yesterday, but my hubby and I did get some gardening done and we cleaned our boat up. I think we're taking it out tonight for a little joy ride, so maybe I'll be able to get some jogging in tonight. The area where we launch our boat is a really nice area with a boardwalk by the water. I might even be able to convice him to come with me!;)

hi all,

i know that i said that i was back on track before, but i really am this time...i was pretty sick so that threw a wrench in the plans, but i am better than ever now (and with only 5 weeks til i cruise!) i've started back at the various cardio machines at the gym and am racking up the miles...thanks to the bike!!! anyways, i will be posting again on saturdays for the miles that i accrued during the week.

see you saturday! and keep up the good work, everyone!

jocey

Well, Had a morning walk before work and an evening walk after a nice dinner on the boat with hubby totaling 2.6 for the day. He says he doesn't want to walk the miles to the cruise with me, but I think I might be able to talk him into it!

Start: 4/18/06

Cruise: 10/1/06

Miles Traveled: 3.6

Miles to go: 546.4

Wow, this needing to keep up the miles really keeps me motivated to get off my lazy tush and move around! Thanks! 4 more yesterday!

Start: 4/18/06

Cruise: 10/1/06

Miles traveled: 7.6

To go: 542.6