Do I Need Voom?

We are sailing on Anthem in October on a NE/Canada cruise. Since we will have cell phone service, at least in ports, I'm trying to figure out if we need Voom. Any thoughts?

Do you need internet at sea?

I guess I didn't ask this the right way. Will we still have cellular service on board while sailing, or are we too far out? If we were able to pick up cell signal, then we wouldn't need a package if we wanted to use internet while not in port.

I guess I didn't ask this the right way. Will we still have cellular service on board while sailing, or are we too far out? If we were able to pick up cell signal, then we wouldn't need a package if we wanted to use internet while not in port.

The ship does have cellular service at sea, but it is expensive, especially if you use data. Contact your cell carrier about charges while on a cruise ship at sea.

Edited by clarea

No you will not have land based cell service while at sea. The ship has a cell tower called cellular at sea. You pay your cell service provider, not RCI, for cell service.

VOOM is Internet service, as you pointed out.

They are offering VOOM at 30%, and I'd like to take advantage of this. We don't need internet access, but we would like to have it :)

Then I think you have answered your own question.:)

Even with 30% off, that service will still be very expensive.

It's actually only $9.99 per device, per day. Just bought it for the 3 of us today, for $190 total. Cannot beat that.:D:D

Edited by KPfromCT

I have a couple questions, as I do want internet access...and want to be able to communicate with our daughter onboard.

1. What's the difference between the "VOOM Surf" and the "VOOM Surf + Stream" package? Is it just bandwidth? Does the lower-priced package block streaming services?

2. If we pay for three devices, one for each of us, can I switch between my laptop and phone as one device (if I only use one of them at a time)?

I have a couple questions, as I do want internet access...and want to be able to communicate with our daughter onboard.

1. What's the difference between the "VOOM Surf" and the "VOOM Surf + Stream" package? Is it just bandwidth? Does the lower-priced package block streaming services?

2. If we pay for three devices, one for each of us, can I switch between my laptop and phone as one device (if I only use one of them at a time)?

No reports have come back about the nature of two packages, so it's not possible to answer the first question.

Yes to #2.

Thanks for the feedback - it confirmed what I thought was correct. So we ordered it this morning - surf and stream for 9 days was $113. Pretty inexpensive compared to other cruise lines we've sailed!

Excellent price, and we already know that Anthem has true Voom, so the performance should be speedy.:)

We are sailing on Anthem in October on a NE/Canada cruise. Since we will have cell phone service, at least in ports, I'm trying to figure out if we need Voom. Any thoughts?

Voom basic email and web is $63 for the week on Oasis. Might be cheaper than using a cell phone at ports unless you can find a hot spot.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm trying to figure out the difference between the 2 packages as well. I just want to be able to email, and FaceTime? Can I do both with the cheaper Surf Voyage package?

Reading the descriptions in the cruise planner, it appears that the Surf option will be regular internet, which wouldn't be fast enough to do FaceTime or make a wi fi call, whereas the Surf and Stream package will be true Voom and will provide you will the speed to do these things.

I'm trying to figure out the difference between the 2 packages as well. I just want to be able to email, and FaceTime? Can I do both with the cheaper Surf Voyage package?

No, Facetime is streaming video, so you need Stream for Facetime.

I've not seen any reports of someone using the lower tier SURF package, but my guess is that it might work. You could buy the SURF package before the cruise and then if really needed, upgrade to SURF+STREAM on the ship.

We bought the VOOM package for two devices, at $15 per day, $105 for the week. You could attach 10 devices to the same VOOM account if you wanted to. Only two can be logged on at the same time, though. You would have to go to http://www.logout.com with the device you want to deactivate and then can sign in with another. This gave us internet, texting whomever you wanted, etc. if you are only interested in texting the people who are on the ship with you, you would all download the free app Whatsapp? Then you can text each other and not pay for VOOM. Cellular service is ridiculously expensive on the ship. Check with your provider to find out what they charge for international minutes before you decide to place a call from a port.

Does anyone know when the 30% off ends? I don't cruise until November. Wondering if I should buy now or wait.

I read the terms and conditions but could not see an end-date for the offer stated.

No idea when the promo ends.

However, you can cancel and rebook anytime, so if you buy now and see a better offer later, you can take advantage of it.