New embarkation system

P&O SUE

Thanks both, I had hoped it was basically the same as I've done before but this lady on Facebook had problems with a Barclays card, luckily I bank with a different bank. At every bar she was getting card declined messages! Very upsetting I should imagine.

I think it must have been a problem with this lady or her card. I normally use a Barclaycard to pay for my on-board account and have never had any problems.

On one cruise, whilst on board, all passengers had to register a card. I presented my Santander card which was not accepted. Prior to departure from Southampton I informed the bank of the countries I was visiting - Germany, Denmark etc. However, the ships Bank was registered in Florida, so my card was refused because I had not informed Santander of the USA. Fortunately we have a second bank with Lloyd’s that came to the rescue. I hadn’t informed Lloyd’s anything.

We got back on the 13th November and unfortunately we've had problems using my Barclaycard. On embarkation I registered my Barcalycard and the lady said that all three of us in the cabin had been classes as 'users'. When asked if this was a problems she said no, but to go to reception onboard and just get the other two passengers registered as guest users.

We used our cruise cards for purchases, no problem. When I visited reception the manager asked if 'Mrs Hunt' shouldn't be paying for all passengers in our cabin. Mrs Hunt was not one of our party! We were duly unlinked from Mrs Hunt's credit card and after 3 attempts the manager told me that my card had been successfully added.

I checked the onboard account via the TV and everything was fine.....until I came to disembark when I was told to return to reception. Not great after we had queued for over an hour to get out and my mum has walking difficulties. Another long wait at reception only to be told my Barclaycard has been declined, they couldn't accept another card and could I pay in cash? NO, I don't have that much cash! I was made to feel rather small, I had to fill out a form and was told the finance manager would call me to arrange alternative payment of my account. On arriving back at home it appears I must contact the Finance Manager not the other way around.

Funnily enough, I booked another cruise onboard and my Barclaycard sailed through for the deposit amount. When I have a few moments I will contact Barclaycard and P&O, try and resolve matters, and perhaps let others know if there is a problem.

We we're also on a cruise at the weekend had no problems with our credit card registration but it is not a barclaycard which seems to be the problem ,when we got on the Ventura there was a very long queue at reception and every day was the same with people having card problems so my advice would be to take another credit card just in case better that than standing for over a hour on embarkation day NOT FUN

[quote name=

I should clarify that my wife is a wheelchair user and we often bypass Assisted Embarkation and Disembarkation for the reasons described above.[/quote]

Selbourne -Wish we could!! Dreading December 9th - I just haven't the strength to push the chair and pull the case full of meds/appliances. Neither can I walk around West Quay for three hours pushing the wheelchair and pulling the meds case!!

Just hoping to find a nice younger fellow passenger to help us out!!

Edited by BMT

We got back on the 13th November and unfortunately we've had problems using my Barclaycard. On embarkation I registered my Barcalycard and the lady said that all three of us in the cabin had been classes as 'users'. When asked if this was a problems she said no, but to go to reception onboard and just get the other two passengers registered as guest users.

We used our cruise cards for purchases, no problem. When I visited reception the manager asked if 'Mrs Hunt' shouldn't be paying for all passengers in our cabin. Mrs Hunt was not one of our party! We were duly unlinked from Mrs Hunt's credit card and after 3 attempts the manager told me that my card had been successfully added.

I checked the onboard account via the TV and everything was fine.....until I came to disembark when I was told to return to reception. Not great after we had queued for over an hour to get out and my mum has walking difficulties. Another long wait at reception only to be told my Barclaycard has been declined, they couldn't accept another card and could I pay in cash? NO, I don't have that much cash! I was made to feel rather small, I had to fill out a form and was told the finance manager would call me to arrange alternative payment of my account. On arriving back at home it appears I must contact the Finance Manager not the other way around.

Funnily enough, I booked another cruise onboard and my Barclaycard sailed through for the deposit amount. When I have a few moments I will contact Barclaycard and P&O, try and resolve matters, and perhaps let others know if there is a problem.

What a pain! I hope you get it resolved - and yes, please let us know how you get on.

All sorted, my account is now clear, thank heavens.

Barclaycard advised that it was a problem with either the chip or swipe reader and P&O confirmed that they are aware of the problem with their system (as are the staff onboard) and they are working to resolve it. So, moral of the story is take more than one credit card and check your statement on departure (even if you checked the account on your in room TV) to make sure your payment has gone through.

All sorted, my account is now clear, thank heavens.

Barclaycard advised that it was a problem with either the chip or swipe reader and P&O confirmed that they are aware of the problem with their system (as are the staff onboard) and they are working to resolve it. So, moral of the story is take more than one credit card and check your statement on departure (even if you checked the account on your in room TV) to make sure your payment has gone through.

That's good then! Although a pain to have to sort. I only take one card on holiday for obvious reasons - think I'll be taking two now just in case!

We had no problem utilising my Barclaycard in August and September when checking in on Aurora.

However in my best Victor Meldrew mode I really don't see why anyone should have to utilise any other card if P&O can't register their preferred credit or debit card. That's their issue and they would need to find another acceptable solution that doesn't involve cash or expecting their customer to use a different card.

My credit card doesn't have a pin number. I don't use debit cards. Do I need to see if my credit card company will give me a pin? Can we check in and log this in when we register? Thanks

All credit and debit cards have a PIN number. How would you use one in the UK without one.

Brian

All credit and debit cards have a PIN number. How would you use one in the UK without one.

Brian

The USA is still way behind us with the use of Chip and Pin which I suspect is where the poster is from.

You can use a credit card without a pin number in the UK, as long as you only buy stuff online.

Or I believe if you have a chip and signature card. Issued to people who have difficulty with a pin. I think Payments UK (perhaps Payments Regulator) requires these to be accepted as valid credit cards.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just off Arcadia. Check in told me not to even bother trying my Barclaycard. Debit Card wouldn't work. Another credit card (Virgin Money) went through no problem.

That’s strange given the post above! Looks like it will be very much hit and miss!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums