Veendam delay into Fort Lauderdale April 21????

StartrainDD

I just received a text message from HAL reading:

"Embarkation for your ms Veendam cruise on Friday April 21 has been delayed to 4:00 PM due to the ship's late arrival in port... Call at 9:00 AM on Friday morning for updated arrival, embarkation, and check in times...

I've seen nothing on these boards about any issues with the Veendam on the current cruise. Anyone know anything? Can't imagine hanging here at the Hampton all day...

Arie

So I did a little research on my AIS App (this shows where ships are in real time) and found the Veendam just southeast of Great Abaco Island (Bahamas) moving towards FL at 12.2 knots. That would put her about 200 miles east of the port. That would put her about 14 hours from Florida if she maintained her current speed, but of course she has to slow down as she nears the coast. So based on her current speed and course we would think she will make her port no earlier than noon. What is interesting is her speed since the Veendam is capable of doing around 20 knots. One can speculate as to why she is cruising at such a slow speed which would likely be some kind of mechanical issue. Until HAL issues some kind of statement (or perhaps you will hear something aboard) we can only guess as to the what is happening. It can be something minor that will be repaired between now and when you board...or it could be a more serious issue which would have her cruising at slower speeds until her next dry dock (we have seen this with ships that have Azipod issues).

Hank

Hope there are no "Noro" issues. Although, that could delay embarkation, usually would not affect arrival time. Hiltner's assessment is probably the answer. Would rather hang out at the hotel than the dock area.

Just heard from a friend who is heading to FLL for the Veendam cruise...so we checked the current status since our last report. She has picked up speed to 14.7 Knots which is getting close to a normal cruising speed. So whatever reason had her moving so slow (2 hours ago) seems to have been rectified. But even at that speed she is certainly going to get into Port Everglades somewhat late since she has about 180 miles to reach the port.

Hank

As of right now, she is showing an arrival time in PE of noon and departure at 2000 on pevvesseltraffic.broward.org .

I guess I can sleep in this morning, I'm watching live streaming of Merrie Monarch Festival Hula competition. See why I wanted Veendam to arrive on Thursday. :D

Oh Wow the same thing happen to us two years ago withe the Veendam. The Ship was late getting into Fort Lauderdale doing an eastbound Panama Canal Cruise. We were doing a Westbound Fort Lauderdale back to San Diego.

Hopefully you can make up the time.

Everyone will be making friends in the hotel lobbies while you are waiting to get to the port.

So, here is the latest regarding facts...not conjecture:) As of this moment the Veendam is about 55 miles east of Port Everglades moving at 15.3 knots towards the port. So the good news for our friends (who will be on this cruise) is that the ship seems to cruising at near normal speeds :). The other good news for our friends (since we think their flight into FLL is delayed a couple of hours) is that they probably do not have to be real concerned with getting to the port on time. At her current speed and course it does seem likely that the ship will dock around 1 pm. Our best to all going on the next cruise and we hope whatever delayed the Veendam's arrival has been rectified and you will all have a terrific cruise.

Hank

Another reason why we always try to tack an extra day or two on at the end of our cruises - I would hate to miss a flight home due to ship delays. Now that we are retired, we can afford the time - unfortunately, not everyone has that luxury.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

According to AIS, she's currently honkin' along at 16.7 kt!

(taking time out from packing for Zaandam to enjoy my last FTL sailaway for quite some time)

Oops! Just as I posted this I have to edit 'cause she's slowing down right now as Pilot No 1 approaches.

Edited by Av8rix
New info just 1 min after posting

I was aboard Veendam in March and we had several stretches where she did just under 20 knots, so I know the old girl can still go! Probably had an engine down or something similar .

We'll probably never know, being the (single and first) post that was attributed to HAL is no longer.

We had a delayed departure (deep cleaning required by noro virus) on a Princess cruise. We were able to drop off our checked luggage, then check in, and wait in the convention center. In the case of that cruise, it was about a four-hour delay. We walked over to the shopping center with Publix to eat lunch and buy wine. We still had a couple of hours in the convention center before they started allowing folks to board the ship.

How did HAL handle the passengers who did not get the message about the delay (and those who did not heed it)?

I was on the Veendam yesterday, Friday April 21 2017. When we left Half Moon Cay on Thursday April 20 2017, we only had use of one propeller. We were informed of this at 7 PM on Thursday (we left at 3 PM). We could only go half speed to Fort Lauderdale. We were schedule to dock at 0700 , but we did not arrive until just after 12 noon. We were safe, but a little bored. Holland gave us free internet and phone usage to change flights and stuff like that. We started disembarkation at 12:45 PM. I think that we will be getting a partial future cruise credit also for our inconvenience.

I was on the Veendam yesterday, Friday April 21 2017. When we left Half Moon Cay on Thursday April 20 2017, we only had use of one propeller. We were informed of this at 7 PM on Thursday (we left at 3 PM). We could only go half speed to Fort Lauderdale. We were schedule to dock at 0700 , but we did not arrive until just after 12 noon. We were safe, but a little bored. Holland gave us free internet and phone usage to change flights and stuff like that. We started disembarkation at 12:45 PM. I think that we will be getting a partial future cruise credit also for our inconvenience.

Thank you for the update. Veendam made it to Port Canaveral. Hopefully everything's okay now.

So she docked at two close FL ports before sailing for Boston? Unusual.

Not really unusual. Seems to be the norm when they reposition to and from New England. We did a Veendam repo (2 years ago) from Quebec City to San Diego and we stopped at Boston, Port Canaveral and Port Everglades before heading down to the Panama Canal. Personally I really dislike Port Canaveral, but I guess it suits folks that want to take the trek over to Orlando.

Hank