Seuss at Sea Waterworks : Reactions

JAMST3RZ

Carnival have recently announced that on the Carnival Horizon the waterworks will be Seuss themed, as for as I could tell the slides were the same as the vista just with a different name. I think that CCL chose the wrong children's brand to me books are dying and dr seuss is a thing of the past and there are so many other great brands to choose from and I think they have realised this by partnering with My Little Pony & Transformers - but thats my opinion.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/url

I have a 5 year old and I'm going to disagree with you. At school they celebrated Dr Seuss's birthday, at ballet class they dressed like a character from one of Dr Seuss's books and on PBS there is a show called Cat in the Hat that my daughter and many other children enjoy. A side note, the cat is voiced by Martin Short. Thankfully, I don't believe books will ever die. :)

I agree with sooner-cruisers. We recently went to a 5th and 6th grade production of Horton Hears a Who. The 10-12 year olds were very Suessafied! Or, to put it another way (with apologies to Theodor Geisel)

The children love Suess on a boat

to see him the adults would swim across a moat

I think even JAMST3RZ would agree

let the kids go to Suess waterworksworks instead of watching TV!

Unlike many other children's story properties Dr. Seuss remains relevant to new generations perhaps to some extent because the estate of Dr. Seuss has been very receptive to presenting the content on New Media.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

There are a lot better children's themes they could have went with, but they would have probably charged a lot more for that IP. NCL used to have SpongeBob and Nickelodeon, but that got dropped a few years ago. They had to remove all traces of it from their ships.

Dr. Seuss is a classic and hardly out of style. This same question and argument came up before when Carnival first introduced Dr. Seuss and it fell flat then. The Dr. Seuss breakfast is just one example of how popular he is onboard. And I love that Carnival went for something more classic instead of these faddish themes that wear out when something new comes along.

There was going to be a water park onboard anyway. I think it's adorable. Speak for yourself. My kids love Dr. Seuss. His books are still read in school and his birthday celebrated around these parts.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

The benefit to partnering with something Classic like Seuss, is that it never really goes out of style - yes there will be other kids stuff that is more popular at any one time, but every kid knows Seuss.

How relevant is Shrek going to be 3-5 years from now?

Carnival also didn't put all of their eggs in just one basket - they are also partnered with Hasbro (lots of Hasbro game stuff now onboard) and it looks like they are strengthening that partnership with the My Little Pony and Transformers stuff (both owned by Hasbro and both of those franchises are becoming "classics" - they have both been around for 30 years or so and have a wide appeal to both kids and adults).

As a former 5th grade teacher, and current school librarian, I can tell you that Dr. Seuss is still immensely popular with kids and adults (including myself). We recently celebrated his birthday at school and all the kids loved it. His books are checked out all the time. I think Carnival made a good decision to go with a Dr. Seuss theme.

The benefit to partnering with something Classic like Seuss, is that it never really goes out of style - yes there will be other kids stuff that is more popular at any one time, but every kid knows Seuss.

How relevant is Shrek going to be 3-5 years from now?

Well, let's not be too hasty. It is literally impossible to tell whether something that is relatively new and still as popular as it has ever been will or will not become a classic. Indeed, I'm sure if culture was affected by social-media-inspired cynicism in 1937 the way it is today, folks would have said the same thing about "And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street". Keep in mind that Shrek is already over 15 years old and it isn't clear to me that its classic-capability has shown any sign of waning.

It would be better to choose for your example something that was wildly popular 15 years ago that is practically forgotten now.

Books are dying??? Perhaps in the traditional format of binding and paper, but not the words themselves. Storytelling has been and will continue to be a VITAL part of being human. To function in society, one must be able to read. Seuss was an absolute master of words and rhyme and reaches children with its rhythm and teaches valuable life lessons in a way that modern pop culture such as My Little Pony and Transformers never will. Look at the countless number of shows and characters (Bear in the Big Blue House, Rescue Rangers etc) that were great, and truly taught a child morals and values, but have fallen by the wayside. Yet Seuss remains.

To the OP- you may not have read these stories as a child, or read them to your children, and for that, I am sorry.

With Disney owning so many of the kids entertainment franchises, I would imagine Carnival wouldn't have a lot to choose from. In saying that, the kids I have seen on-board seem to really enjoy the Dr Seuss themed things.

Edited by bigdavefc
grammer