Cuba may be canceled?

Ocean Dancer

Cuba may be in jeopardy. I just heard on National news that the American Embassy is being evacuated. They think there may be some sonic device making people sick. It is not known who is up to this, or if there are any more in Cuba. Americans have been warned NOT to travel to Cuba.

Don't know what the cruise lines will do.

There are travel warnings for May destinations (Mexico, Nassau, Jamaica) so I don't anticipate the cruise lines will cancel. I am on the Paradise leaving Thursday so I hope they don't. These sonic "attacks" were targeted at embassy personnel over a long period of exposure... I'm not nervous as no "tourists" were targeted.

There are travel warnings for May destinations (Mexico, Nassau, Jamaica) so I don't anticipate the cruise lines will cancel. I am on the Paradise leaving Thursday so I hope they don't. These sonic "attacks" were targeted at embassy personnel over a long period of exposure... I'm not nervous as no "tourists" were targeted.

The State Department's travel warning (updated today) indicates it's not just the U.S. Embassy that's been targeted, it's also hotels frequented by U.S. visitors:

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/cuba-travel-warning.html

So.... I certainly would not want to be visiting there right now.

Edited by joepeka

The State Department's travel warning (updated today) indicates it's not just the U.S. Embassy that's been targeted, it's also hotels frequented by U.S. visitors:

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/cuba-travel-warning.html

Thanks for posting this update.

Our good friends had their land trip next month (with independent) to Cuba cancelled today.

Now, I understand why.

The travel warning is about the US Embassy and hotels .

Most cruisers stay on ships and not in hotels there so not sure if cruises would be canceled at all?

You do know that folks from the rest of the world have been going to Cuba safely for years and years and continue to visit there so not sure what this is all about. Until we know more I'd not worry about it.

The travel warning is about the US Embassy and hotels .

Most cruisers stay on ships and not in hotels there so not sure if cruises would be canceled at all?

You do know that folks from the rest of the world have been going to Cuba safely for years and years and continue to visit there so not sure what this is all about. Until we know more I'd not worry about it.

Sounds like someone is targeting Americans. Would not go there now.

I'm scheduled to go on the 5th (Thursday) and personally I'm no at all concerned... all the targets worked at the Embassy (they family effected was staying at the hotel and was Embassy staff... I think the whole dire warnings are waaayyy overblown.... however, with that being said, I know many are now frightened by this so they should be given the option to cancel... but without any evidence that tourists visiting were in any way targeted, I think it is just silly.... but IF CCL does allow for cancellations, I am hoping for a less crowded ship (which I will be going regardless) ...

Such a big risk to take, IMO.

I'm scheduled to go on the 5th (Thursday) and personally I'm no at all concerned... all the targets worked at the Embassy (they family effected was staying at the hotel and was Embassy staff... I think the whole dire warnings are waaayyy overblown.... however, with that being said, I know many are now frightened by this so they should be given the option to cancel... but without any evidence that tourists visiting were in any way targeted, I think it is just silly.... but IF CCL does allow for cancellations, I am hoping for a less crowded ship (which I will be going regardless) ...

Your choice of course but until more info comes out would be very hesitant to go.

Life is too short to put yourself in situations like this.

Just saying.

Mods, not sure why moved? Seems to be a relevant and news making topic that many are awaiting info on for their immediate cruise planning. The place where it was moved is not easily located... I would guess if people don't find this thread, there will be several new ones popping up as info is given?

I'm with you Joe. Even cruising to Cabo is becoming more and more dangerous and it was once one of our favorite ports. Seems as though our only cruising choices have now dwindled down to Hawaii, Alaska or New England.

So all of the Caribbean is out of the question now? Wow! Bet most of those islands not affected by the recent storms would be surprised to hear that! How about the Mediterranean, or Europe, or Asia, or Australia - are they off the list too? Opps, almost forgot that trouble spot Bermuda! :rolleyes:

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Your choice of course but until more info comes out would be very hesitant to go.

Life is too short to put yourself in situations like this.

Or you could look at it another way: life's too short to worry about things that have a very small chance of affecting me. If I stay at home waiting for the "perfect moment" to travel, I may never leave home -- and that would be a shame. On my deathbed I'd rather be thinking "Boy, I'm glad I took the chance to visit X," not "I really regret never taking the chance to visit X."

Or you could look at it another way: life's too short to worry about things that have a very small chance of affecting me. If I stay at home waiting for the "perfect moment" to travel, I may never leave home -- and that would be a shame. On my deathbed I'd rather be thinking "Boy, I'm glad I took the chance to visit X," not "I really regret never taking the chance to visit X."

Well said!