The BIG 60!

Lois R

Tell us more, Lois. My memory gets a little rusty and I posted these questions to you on another thread!! It might be helpful to others to know your personal interests and desires.

As you consider places to visit in Europe, what most interests and motivates you? Is it history, culture, shopping, architecture, urban environments, nature, music, art, wildlife, nightlife, food, scenic countrysides, wine, etc.?? Are you mostly for being more "aggressive" in doing and seeing as much as possible? Or, seeking a more relaxed and laid-back experience? Are more just of a "float on a boat" person where the ship is the prime "destination"?

Paris??!! Surprised that you have never been there. My first visit there was in 1970. Been back a large number of times to enjoy this great city. Can share lots and LOTS about Paris and nearby.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 38,583 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Hi Terry:)....there are many cities and countries I have yet to visit.....Paris is one of many.

Lois, what month would you be traveling? I only ask because Giverny doesn't open until ?mid April? We did this cruise in 2015 and loved it, though the itinerary is a bit different (and of course, we were on an older ship with Uniworld). The weather was a little chilly, but sunny. We spect a couple of days in Paris, pre-cruise, exploring on our own.

We are returning to France for Uniwotld's Provence rice cruise in mid-March.

Happy to answer any questions about anything related to this trip.

Robin

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Robin, I would be going in April but not 100% sure I am doing it.

I had breakfast with a longtime friend today and she has been to Paris at least 1/2 dozen times......she loves it:D

and now there is a chance we are going to take a land trip there together for about a week. Nothing definite yet

but now I have something else to think about;)........I am going to put a hold on the river cruise for the time being.

Hi Robin, I would be going in April but not 100% sure I am doing it.

I had breakfast with a longtime friend today and she has been to Paris at least 1/2 dozen times......she loves it:D and now there is a chance we are going to take a land trip there together for about a week. Nothing definite yet but now I have something else to think about;)........I am going to put a hold on the river cruise for the time being

Just remember that April in Paris was written in NY and the month was chosen because it scanned. Charles Aznavour, who knew Paris weather first hand, wrote J´aime Paris au mois de mai to celebrate the really nice spring weather there.

Paris on a land trip sounds great, it gives you a chance to travel upstream to the smaller old towns. Saw a couple of television programmes last week and it looks appealing. I would recommend not going during the Christian Easter week, i.e. usually April as Paris is a favourite place for short trips over Easter for European travellers. End of April into May would be better, also for the weather as HostJazzbeau has pointed out.

Remember that you can always combine Paris with a cruise on the Rhone or other parts of France and adjoining countries are a 1 to 5 hour TGV train ride away.

Have fun planning.

notamermaid

Good morning, thanks for the replies:)..........I probably won't know anything definite for at least a couple of weeks.

Sometime next month maybe...........never thought this would be happening........it was funny, when I told my friend

I was thinking of taking a River Cruise to Paris, she said "WHY"?.....she loves Paris so much she said the only way

to see it is on land;)..........I said because I love to cruise and it is easy when you are traveling solo........she could

understand that but still thinks Paris is best on land.

she could

understand that but still thinks Paris is best on land.

I have been to Paris 7-8 times since my first trip in the late 70s as a student, and have never developed a fondness for the city. There are other cities in France I enjoy much more (Lyon, Bordeaux). That being said, and have sailed the JDV recently on the Seine with 4 days pre cruise in Paris, I agree that Paris is better experienced staying in the city than on a cruise. I feel the same about most any major city. I enjoy indulging in local cuisine, visiting markets, wandering the neighborhoods and stumbling upon interesting events happening around town, as opposed to a being aboard a floating hotel which limits those opportunities.

That being said, since you enjoyed your Med cruises it may be a good choice for you. IMO, you would miss much of the local experience visiting Paris on a cruise, if that is what is important to you. We rented an apartment in Paris several years ago with friends prior to an AMA cruise on the Rhone, our all time favorite itinerary; that was a nice change of pace from the small hotel rooms common in Paris. We enjoyed visiting the local markets and wine shops and bringing things back to cook and enjoy at "home".

It all depends on what you want to experience.

Edited by caviargal

Hi Kim, good to see you:) and hope you and your family made it through Irma ok................we got lots of flooding:eek:

but I got very lucky and never lost power.

Thanks for your insight. I do appreciate it as I know you have traveled way more than I have........it is all a learning

experience, that is for sure:)

Paris is definitely best experienced on land. You could easily spend a week there and do some quick day trips by train. If you like to cook there are some really great cooking schools that offer half-day classes, some that include a market tour. If you can book an apartment it is so fun to pick up amazing "take out" meals in the neighborhoods.

Cruising must just be in my blood....after thinking about the Paris land trip, I realize it is not what I want to do and I have

to do what makes me happy and that is cruising:D........so I booked one for next summer and now that I have done that

I will find something for earlier in the year too.....after all, you only turn 60 once;)

I booked another cruise on Silversea that goes from Venice to Nice for 10 nights.....it is one I have been looking at and

now I booked:D.......great itinerary and it is not until July 2018.

Now, I will look more closely at River cruises earlier in the year.......:)

It is a woman's prerogative to change her mind;)