Spencer Ambrose or Celebrity excursion to the Pitons - need help deciding please!!

Aquaticdreams

A little concerned about upcoming tour with Spencer after reading so many recent reports of faulty equipment, crowds, etc. stayed away from Cosol due to long drive. Any other suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have been with Spencer before and had no problems.

However, the latest reviews about faulty boats are making me a bit uncomfortable to book again.

I have been with Spencer before and had no problems.

However, the latest reviews about faulty boats are making me a bit uncomfortable to book again.

I haven’t seen anything about faulty boats is this on another thread?

I am booked with him in March.

I haven’t seen anything about faulty boats is this on another thread?

I am booked with him in March.

There was a recent posting about a group that experienced a engine problem. I went on the snorkel adventure with Spencer back in late November and the boat we were on seemed well maintained and good running. I will also be going back next month and I'll be going with Spencer again, it was the best excursion we ever been on:)

We had a significant problem with Spencer a couple years ago. A busy day in port and he over scheduled. When people got upset with his poor service he lost his cool and started yelling at some folks. Never again for us

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Jalousie Beach Break a few years ago with Spencer Ambrose. Unless you want to pay an additional $50 per chair to rent a chair from the Sugar Beach Resort, you will be delegated to a small area of the beach to the left of the dock with limited number of loungers. Now, Spencer's boats can usually get there pretty fast before the other tours make it there, but it really isn't ideal. I am not sure I would do it again unless I was willing to fork out the additional $50pp to rent chairs in the larger and less cramped section of the beach in front of the Sugar Beach Resort. The beach is pretty cool and the view of the Pitons from land and sea is awesome. I did finally make a video of our Jalousie Beach Break excursion if anyone wants to check it out.

We did the Jalousie Beach Break a few years ago with Spencer Ambrose. Unless you want to pay an additional $50 per chair to rent a chair from the Sugar Beach Resort, you will be delegated to a small area of the beach to the left of the dock with limited number of loungers. Now, Spencer's boats can usually get there pretty fast before the other tours make it there, but it really isn't ideal. I am not sure I would do it again unless I was willing to fork out the additional $50pp to rent chairs in the larger and less cramped section of the beach in front of the Sugar Beach Resort. The beach is pretty cool and the view of the Pitons from land and sea is awesome. I did finally make a video of our Jalousie Beach Break excursion if anyone wants to check it out.

Great video. Thank you for sharing! :) I have been snorkeling there also (2017), some of the best snorkeling I have experienced.

have a few questions: Did you end up getting chairs to the left? How did the rum punch taste? :)

Thank you.

Edited by rcprncss
remove a question

Great video. Thank you for sharing! :) I have been snorkeling there also (2017), some of the best snorkeling I have experienced.

have a few questions: Did you end up getting chairs to the left? How did the rum punch taste? :)

Thank you.

We did get chairs to the left. They were fine, but the area is a little cramped and under a lot of trees. I think it would be worth it to just fork over the extra $50pp for chairs at Sugar Beach Resort. I really don't recall the rum punch, so apparently it wasn't memorable.

I wasn't really that impressed with the snorkeling. Lots of great fish as you can see in the video, but the reef was pretty much dead otherwise. No great corals to be seen, thus why you don't see much else on the snorkeling front in that video. There really wasn't anything else to show other than that school of fish.

We have just returned from our cruise during which 4 of us used Spencer Ambrose for the day tour to Sugar Beach. We had a great time and cant recommend his company enough for a relaxing day--including a great lunch provided plus of course the homemade rum punch!

Just recently returned from a Celebrity Cruise that included St. Lucia. Didn't care for the ship's excursion to the Pitons. It was on a big boat (maybe 40 people?), had loud music, horrible rum punch, no beach time (they anchored in the water off shore and you swam to the snorkeling site), snorkeling was only so-so. I wouldn't do it again.

On the other hand, we saw some of Spencer Ambrose's boats, and others, and they were pretty small, not much shade, etc.

We were at Jaloiuse beach last week, not on a Spencer Ambroise tour, but we hired a catamaran from another company. Our whole day was amazing, but I wouldn't want to spend too long on that beach. The area which isn't used by the resort is small and cramped, and the beds aren't very comfortable. The snorkeling would have been great, but everyone was getting little stings/bites from something in the water. I think they were baby jellyfish, because I saw a couple, but the locals call them 'sea lice'

If you are going to snorkel there consider a long sleeved swimtop, to at least protect some of your body from the stings. (they do go off after a couple of hours, and the little marks on my skin had gone by that evening)