Dividend raised

caribill

The stocks been beat up for the last month, maybe this will stabilize, firm it up.

Fingers crossed. It’s been pretty volatile for the past few months and has dropped a reasonable amount. Good news about the dividend though.

Great news about the dividend. I really have fun using a spreadsheet to log in every dividend and every on-board-credit that goes with the stock --along with the stock price sometimes going up as well. Even with the recent down swing, it is still doing better than my savings account!

Great news about the dividend. I really have fun using a spreadsheet to log in every dividend and every on-board-credit that goes with the stock --along with the stock price sometimes going up as well. Even with the recent down swing, it is still doing better than my savings account!

We bought the 100 shares in 2009 for about $26 per share. With dividends reinvested, stock appreciation and the OBC we are up to about $15,000. So yes it has been a great investment for us.

It's so funny, back when we bought our 100, Canadian and US were at par, it was $35 / share and $0.25 / share dividend, and our financial advisor thought it was not a good idea.

Fast forward to last Friday and our meeting to "Go Over" our investments, 100 shares now worth ~$8,400 Canadian, earning $200.00 US (or $260 Canadian) / year, and I just got our $250 (US) credit for our December trip. Our Advisor just says "Yup it's good, you were right on that one"

Going to have to look into that re-investment thing.

Surely pleased with the increase in the dividend, but also I'm of the opinion that the share buyback is quite significant.

CCL is a well run Company. I have owned it since it shortly after it became a public company and am surely glad that I have done so.

We bought the 100 shares in 2009 for about $26 per share. With dividends reinvested, stock appreciation and the OBC we are up to about $15,000. So yes it has been a great investment for us.

Yippee for higher dividends!

I bought at $25/share and have reaped a bundle with reinvested dividends, OBC and stock rising in value!! I'm at almost 200 shares now and loving it.

Edited by Go-Bucks!

Have to admit, I'm of kinda mixed thoughts on the rising dividends for CCL. On the one hand, it's definitely made my shares of CCL that we purchased around $31 a pretty reasonable choice. But the non-shareholder part of me would rather see some of this money they're paying out to shareholders be used instead to roll back some of the cost-cutting measures that you see on the ships.

Have to admit, I'm of kinda mixed thoughts on the rising dividends for CCL. On the one hand, it's definitely made my shares of CCL that we purchased around $31 a pretty reasonable choice. But the non-shareholder part of me would rather see some of this money they're paying out to shareholders be used instead to roll back some of the cost-cutting measures that you see on the ships.

I don't think there is much hope of that.

That's a nice thought but not how businesses work. Their sole objective is to make a profit for them and their stockholders. If you want more included in your cruise, you can do what we, and many other CCers are doing, and try another cruise line that is more inclusive. I don't think including more is in the cards for Princess who is competing against other mainstream cruise lines who include even less than Princess does. JMHO.

So here is a question for you. We have our 100 shares, for the purpose of OBC. I think I got them for in the mid 40's when they had been in the 50's so I'm OK with that. Didn't know about it before hand, so I can't be sad over not knowing about it when it was $30 and below. I had them reinvesting in shares...but I really only have this stock for the purpose of OBC so I switch it recently to not buying more stock with the dividends but just saving cash...kind of a bonus for cruises in future. Thoughts? More stock doesn't do me any good for what I have it for..which is the OBC. So is it better to stock up on the cash for a "free" cruise or $$ to apply to balance? Or get more stock?

Attend a stockholder meeting and share your thoughts.

So here is a question for you. We have our 100 shares, for the purpose of OBC. I think I got them for in the mid 40's when they had been in the 50's so I'm OK with that. Didn't know about it before hand, so I can't be sad over not knowing about it when it was $30 and below. I had them reinvesting in shares...but I really only have this stock for the purpose of OBC so I switch it recently to not buying more stock with the dividends but just saving cash...kind of a bonus for cruises in future. Thoughts? More stock doesn't do me any good for what I have it for..which is the OBC. So is it better to stock up on the cash for a "free" cruise or $$ to apply to balance? Or get more stock?

You get the same OBC for 100 shares as for a million so buying/keeping/selling

shares #101 and up aren't for OBC. Decide about them as investments vs

alternative investments vs ready cash or even spending money.

"Your mileage may vary"

It all depends on how you think about it and what you want to achieve. I bought my 100 shares 2 1/2 years ago. During that time I've gotten $750 in OBC which is, to my way of thinking tax-free income. During that same time, I've gotten a bit over $382 in dividends, or taxable-income. I've always reimvested the dividends and have ended up with almost 7 extra shares. Now the difference in dividends I earned by reinvesting the dividends is about $12 more than I would have gotten had I taken the cash. No big difference at all. So, why did I reinvest instead of taking the cash? Well, I doubt I'll ever sell the stock so what will happen when I pass on? The stock will be inherited by our son (I shouild have been saying "we" instead of "I" all along here since the stock is owned jointly by my wife and I) and I'd rather see him have more stock and reap the benefits of all those dividends. Since when both my wife and I have gone and our son inherits the stock, all of the stock will have a cost basis of the day the last one of us dies, he'll have more stock to inherit at that point. Hopefully, that will mean more shares at a higher value at that point! :D

Is that a good reason for my decision? Seems so to me, but someone else may think not. In any event, if you're happy with your decision, that's what matters, and whether I agree with you or not doesn't matter in the least. Of couse, there may be another side to this whole thing that I've not realized or thought of so my decision might or might not be good. It's kind of like deciding on whether to wait till 70,start drawing at full eligibility age or start at 62 to start drawing SS. It all depends on other factors that may differ wildly with different people!

Tom