Alaska cruise with TEENS / Multigenerational

Baudoin

Please advise the ideal cruise line that would make teens happy! I've only been on Disney Cruise Line (6 wonderfully times). However, I'm not interested in the Alaskan itinerary on Disney since they do not sail the inland passage or glacier bay. Two things I really would like to do. Disney is too expensive as well!!! My boys are 16 and 12 now! I do not need very young programming. They like a Basketball court and other teens to hang out with. I guess I'm interested in a 7 night cruise from Seattle. I've researched Princess Ruby, RCL explorer of the seas, and Holland America. Itineraries look ok on these, however I'm undecided on the appropriate ship to please teens and a 75 year old (very active)!! Other ages might join in. I am spoiled with the Disney brand! But surely there must be a great ship to accommodate us while taking in beautiful Alaska!

Please advise the ideal cruise line that would make teens happy! I've only been on Disney Cruise Line (6 wonderfully times). However, I'm not interested in the Alaskan itinerary on Disney since they do not sail the inland passage or glacier bay. Two things I really would like to do. Disney is too expensive as well!!! My boys are 16 and 12 now! I do not need very young programming. They like a Basketball court and other teens to hang out with. I guess I'm interested in a 7 night cruise from Seattle. I've researched Princess Ruby, RCL explorer of the seas, and Holland America. Itineraries look ok on these, however I'm undecided on the appropriate ship to please teens and a 75 year old (very active)!! Other ages might join in. I am spoiled with the Disney brand! But surely there must be a great ship to accommodate us while taking in beautiful Alaska!

I can't speak to Princess or Holland America, but I did many cruises on the Explorer before she went to the Pacific. I would highly recommend the EX for teens. It now has a flowrider. There is an ice skating rink, rock climbing, sports court, mini golf, pools, hot tubs, and fitness center with a giant hot tub, sauna, and steam room. RCL runs an excellent Adventure Ocean program for age groups of kids under 18. They would definitely find others to hang out with.

HAL has a bit of (undeserved IMHO) reputation for catering to older cruisers but for Alaska will have a broader mix of ages. Also adjacent to the Club HAL kids area is "The Loft", a teen hang-out place great for 12 or 16 yo. Note though that any cruise from Seattle will spend 1st day at sea outside Vancouver Is. as well as a day there on return. If sailing from Seattle try to allow a few days pre/post cruise - the area has a lot to see for teens. Check out West Coast Departures forum and the Seattle FAQs sticky thread at the top for things to see/do.