Norway cruise- do we need Krone?

Eveglos

Hi all- we are going on a Norweigan fjord cruise shortly and will spend 4 days in port.Do we need to take Krone for things like coffee,snacks etc or will we be ok with our credit card? Just don't want to be stuck with Krone at the end of the cruise and lose out when we exchange back to sterling.

Any help much appreciated

Eve

Hi, just recently back from Fjords cruise and we managed with a regular debit card. All shops and cafe's we visited took card payments. Much easier than exchanging money.

Have a great holiday :):)

PS. If going to Flam its very easy to overspend in the pub:o

We always take at least some currency with us. The toilet attendants don’t take credit cards:)

Joking aside there are some small purchases you may wish to make that currency would be better, for example at the fish market in Bergen or if using local public transport.

Depending on the charges on your card for currency it is sometimes as well losing out on some odd coins left over after the holiday than paying the currency conversion for small purchases. Depends on your card, some have no charges at all.

We always take at least some currency with us. The toilet attendants don’t take credit cards:)

Joking aside there are some small purchases you may wish to make that currency would be better, for example at the fish market in Bergen or if using local public transport.

Depending on the charges on your card for currency it is sometimes as well losing out on some odd coins left over after the holiday than paying the currency conversion for small purchases. Depends on your card, some have no charges at all.

It is not a joke as we were in Bergen one Sunday morning and everywhere was shut even McDonalds and there was a family panicking because one of them wanted to go to the toilet and the only one they could find was part of the indoor fish market and you needed coins.

It is not a joke as we were in Bergen one Sunday morning and everywhere was shut even McDonalds and there was a family panicking because one of them wanted to go to the toilet and the only one they could find was part of the indoor fish market and you needed coins.

That’s why I always have some local currency, some toilet paper in my pocket and cleansing wipes to hand wherever I go in the world.:)

In some countries/ cities even the coffee shops charge for the loos, thankfully Norway is not one of them and provides clean facilities with decent quality paper.

Not for polite conversation but a very basic necessity.

Thanks for all your help- think we will risk it and just use our Credit Card as it doesn’t charge us anything to use abroad.

Fingers crossed we don’t need the loo, but after all that time we spend in the pub in Flamm......😊

Thanks for all your help- think we will risk it and just use our Credit Card as it doesn’t charge us anything to use abroad.

Fingers crossed we don’t need the loo, but after all that time we spend in the pub in Flamm......😊

I would agree. Cash is dead! We have been to Norway 3 or 4 times and never needed it. We now use a Revolut card which you load with cash and can use in any country at a good exchange rate with no fee. I’ve used it for very small amounts with no difficulty. We rarely ever bother with foreign currency nowadays. As our kids tell us, cash is for old people ;)

I would agree. Cash is dead! We have been to Norway 3 or 4 times and never needed it. We now use a Revolut card which you load with cash and can use in any country at a good exchange rate with no fee. I’ve used it for very small amounts with no difficulty. We rarely ever bother with foreign currency nowadays. As our kids tell us, cash is for old people ;)

I was in the supermarket a couple of days ago when someone tried to pay by card and it failed. So did the person after them. TSB major IT issue, it’s been all over the press.

The “old” people in the que (like me) with cash could pay for our shopping.;)

Even at home we both way prefer paying by cash,maybe we are dinosaurs but it is what works best for us..

A number of years ago we travelled to Iceland & Norway on a cruise,we got the Icelandic & Norwegian money from our TA,just before we arrived in Alesund(just know I have spelt that wrong!) we were next to a very loud group on board where this guy was telling everybody how he never travelled with cash & always paid by card,fast forward to the next day at the top of what I think they call the City Mountain in Alesund,we had walked up,the view is amazing,the tour coaches then arrived & a few minutes later very loud voices could be heard from the little cafe where this guy had tried to pay for his coffee by card only to be told that they took cash only,neither he nor the cafe owner were pleased!

Hi, just recently back from Fjords cruise and we managed with a regular debit card. All shops and cafe's we visited took card payments. Much easier than exchanging money.

Have a great holiday :):)

PS. If going to Flam its very easy to overspend in the pub:o

So I take it the pub in Flam takes cards, and also that a pint isn't cheap? We're thinking of paying them a visit next month and realise we may need to budget....

I would not travel to different countries without having a little of their currencys just in case ,after all I intend to visit them again and £20 doesn't go a miss , yes having a pint in flam will cost you £10 ,a little expensive but I don't drink beer , but I like to be safe with a little currency anyway

We usually have some left over $$ and €€ which we take to Norway- we bought woolly slippers at a market stall which were £20 or €20 or $30...not a good rate of exchange, maybe, but handy to have at times.

I've been in souvenir shops which are happy to take all of those 3 currencies, and as we doubt we'll be going anywhere that needs $$ again, it was easier than exchanging them at the post office.

I was in the supermarket a couple of days ago when someone tried to pay by card and it failed. So did the person after them. TSB major IT issue, it’s been all over the press.

The “old” people in the que (like me) with cash could pay for our shopping.;)

And I was in the supermarket recently and the person in front was paying for their shopping in cash. Only problem was they didn't have enough so they had the embarrassment of having to put some things back.

Those of us behind paying by card had no problems.

So you've never arrived at a checkout to find that your wallet with your cards in was still at home? I have. ;-)

Stuart

No as I usually use NFC contactless on my phone or watch and I always have one or the other.

Excellent news. I'm an old person, so if you do find yourself with any of this worthless cash, send it on to me please and I will try and find a use for it. :evilsmile::evilsmile::D