How much booze?

JustDandy

Taking the Norwegian Escape Eastern Caribbean 7 day cruise to Tortola , St Thomas and Nassau. How much booze can you bring back onboard the ship? Is there a limit on any food and water as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This info is on booze only and applies to US citizens.

Alcoholic Beverages:

A returning resident 21 years or older entitled to the $800 duty-free

exemption may include 2 liters of alcoholic bev

erages—provided 1 liter was produced in a CBI

country. Additional quantities are subject to

duty and taxes. Travel

ers 21 years and older

returning from the U.S. Virgin Islands may bring

back 5 liters of alcoholic beverages, provided

that 1 liter was produced t

here. Liquor cannot be mailed to the United States.

Found on AAA website:)

This info is on booze only and applies to US citizens.

Alcoholic Beverages:

A returning resident 21 years or older entitled to the $800 duty-free

exemption may include 2 liters of alcoholic bev

erages—provided 1 liter was produced in a CBI

country. Additional quantities are subject to

duty and taxes. Travel

ers 21 years and older

returning from the U.S. Virgin Islands may bring

back 5 liters of alcoholic beverages, provided

that 1 liter was produced t

here. Liquor cannot be mailed to the United States.

Found on AAA website:)

Any alcohol you bring back on the ship will be taken and given back to you at the end of the cruise. You can not bring food or water back on the ship from port.

Any alcohol you bring back on the ship will be taken and given back to you at the end of the cruise. You can not bring food or water back on the ship from port.

Yes. NCL have one of the most restrictive drinks policies in the industry.

A few cruise lines don't set a limit on bringing on board any form of drink at any port, most restrict alcohol to a bottle of wine or two at the embarkation port only, some don't permit any alcohol. Policies on soft drinks also vary, generally less-restrictive.

There might be one or two rare exceptional circumstances of a medical nature but broadly NCL passengers are not permitted to take aboard anything to drink at any port. That includes bottled water - you buy their bottled water (at prices which reflect their monopoly) or you drink ship's tap water, which most folk find perfectly drinkable.

Moondogy's post I think presumes that you're thinking in terms of taking booze home.

I doubt NCL care whether you exceed import limits, but as hlaygirl's post they'll happily store your purchases & let you have them back at the end of your cruise.

JB :)

You can bring back to the States whatever you want, but only a certain amount is "duty-free" (duty is tax, you know). Whatever you do buy in port, the ship will hold until you are back to your home port. You can't buy stuff to drink on the ship.

I believe this is incorrect. For sure you can bring water back on board. I have never had it taken from me. Food as well. You just can't take food OFF the ship.

I believe this is incorrect. For sure you can bring water back on board. I have never had it taken from me. Food as well. You just can't take food OFF the ship.

Hi, notentirely,

You may have taken bottled water onto other ships without a problem.

But NCL's policy is very clear - taking bottled water aboard not permitted on their ships. Same with alcohol & soft drinks

https://www.ncl.com/uk/en/faq/liquor-beverage-policy

That said, there are plenty of examples of folk who've openly taken aboard beverages which contravene a cruise line's policy - a matter of luck with the security staff.

BTW, I was wrong about taking wine on board NCL :o. Wine is permitted at the embarkation port (and it's the only drink that is permitted) but subject to a $15 corkage charge on every bottle, whereas most lines allow a bottle or two at the embarkation port without a corkage charge.

JB :)

Taking the Norwegian Escape Eastern Caribbean 7 day cruise to Tortola , St Thomas and Nassau. How much booze can you bring back onboard the ship? Is there a limit on any food and water as well?

Except for wine, any booze brought aboard will be taken and kept for you until disembarkation.

Wine may be kept after paying a fee of $15 per 750 ml bottle.

NCL does not allow for any water to be brought onboard at all. This went into effect last July 16. Same rule for sodas and other bottled/canned non-alcoholic beverages.

Food in factory sealed packages is allowed but no other food.

For sure you can bring water back on board. I have never had it taken from me. Food as well. You just can't take food OFF the ship.

NCL changed its policy to be more restrictive recently. It used to be they didn't care about water & soda. Now they do.

They don't care if you take food off but the country you are trying to enter will care & won't let you.

I am asking regarding re- boarding from the 3 ports. I appreciate all the responses since everyone always gives such good tips and inputs.

As others have said, even if you bring bottles back at the ports of call, you will have those bottles taken and kept until the last night of the cruise. When you re board at a port, you will go through security screening and all bags go through an airport type scanner.

• 3 weeks later...

You can bring food onto the ship. It's just the beverages that are prohibited. What kinds of food are you asking about? If it's fresh food as a snack, then no, they may not allow it on. If it's sealed, non perishables, meant to take home, that should be fine. I brought candy and cookies back on board from San Juan on my last NCL cruise and they asked about what it was and said it was fine.