Help for Ponta Delgada --The Azores

In April, 2017 we did the west to east transatlantic on Holland America. Our first stop in Horta was cancelled because of high winds. We had arranged for a full day tour starting in Ponta Delgado with Pedro Ferreira ar Azores Tours. http://www.azores-tours.com/en/tours/. We were a group of four so we paid for entire van. We specifically asked to do bathing in the hot springs and the meal cooked in the hot springs. We had a great day. You have to pay in cash at the end of the tour. Our driver helped us find an ATM in Ponta Delgada for euros. If you have questions you can contact me at wisriver2322 at gmail dot com.

We visited this port for the first time in 2015. I would recommend that you take a tour.

We visited the town but there was not enough to do there on our own.

Depending on time of year sometimes getting in and out of this port is a problem as well and if there are high winds here the port stop has to be cancelled.

We will be revisiting this port again and we are doing research right now in terms of tour options using Trip Advisor.

Keith

Thanks for some of the great advice.

We were looking into a tour from a company on Trip Advisor that was rated highly. There were so many options that I got confused as I have no idea what I want to see, or should see? We are doing a TA and this is our last stop before we cross the Atlantic, so we sure don't want to risk even the slightest chance of missing the ship with an all day tour.

Are there certain 'highlites' that one should see when visiting this port?

Cheers

Len

A couple of people on our Roll Call said that it is rainy and such a good deal of the time?? They also said that there are taxi's readily available who do tours. Would this be a viable option, to wait as see how the weather is and then try a taxi tour?

Cheers

Len

Hi! Here is what we decided to do - hope it helps you with some of your decision-making:

We are stopping in the Azores on our first Trans-Atlantic in October. Ponta Delgado is our first port of call, with two more scheduled for the Eastern Caribbean before the cruise ends in Miami. On the one hand, I didn't want to miss a port that we might never visit again. On the other, our first catch-up port NOW would be Miami. This means that if we miss the ship, there is NO catching up at the next port.

Fortunately, we are traveling with a couple who have been to Ponta Delgado a few times. They assure us it is a tiny island and getting back to the ship should not be a problem. We consequently scheduled a private tour for the morning, with the idea of going back to the ship around lunchtime. I would like to try a volcano-cooked stew; but except for the novelty (it does sound cool!), I'm not sure the food would taste that exceptional. Our plan is to have lunch in town (walking distance to the ship) or back on-board. This gives us a couple of hours "cushion" if there are issues with our vehicle or tour.

I also asked the tour operator about weather. We prepaid for the tour (credit card) and if the ship does not stop at all, we get a full refund. If there is bad weather on the island, we will modify the sites we visit since bad weather might be on one side of the island only. If the tour does not work out for any reason, we lose our "investment" of $200 (split four-ways). I've blown more on less before, so I am pretty comfortable with our current plans.

Hope this helps!

We were there in April and used https://www.azoreantours.com/ for an all day tour of the island and lakes. Even though I'm sure the in-ground baked lunch would be cool, our guide said that's the "weather-alternative" option, ie if it's raining and you don't want to be out and about. If the weather is good, definitely drive up to see the lakes. Beautiful doesn't begin to describe it!

Our guide, Carlos, took us all over the place, including a distillery and a little town with a really nice church, along with the lakes, for a full day tour. We had a great time and it was absolutely a stunning island.

• 4 weeks later...

We were there some years ago -- six at the most, probably less -- and just went around town on our own. My main object was to buy a camera since I'd managed to leave mine at home. This was our first port of call on a transatlantic, Miami to Barcelona.

We enjoyed the town very much and there was plenty to see.

No, not a lot of museums, etc., but we enjoyed the day. And I got a lot of photos with my new camera ...

So my conclusion is that you do NOT need a tour guide, but a guide can probably point out more than our little guide book did.

Mura

• 3 months later...
I remember reading something about the Azores being one of the best places in the world for whale watching.

We'll be there in April, 2018 and thought about this as an option for the day. Anyone have first hand experience with any of the whale watching tours there?

• 4 weeks later...

We took a fun carriage ride around town and would recommend that. There is a locals market that is interesting as well...do not

remember if it is open every day and hours -you could probably google it, if interested.

We did the whale watching.

We saw only pilot whales and dolphins.

It was a fun day, music and rum punch and the dolphins raced the boat, but nothing like the whales you see on tv breaching and flukes out of the water. The pilot whales were very small.

• 4 months later...

I just want to have a question clarified. We are considering a half day tour through the ship as the tour operator we have booked with is not getting back to us and I am afraid is unreliable. If we do the half day tour is walking to and from the ship to town an option? It is our last port day on a TA cruise and I would love to have a local lunch. I can have plenty of American food on the ship.

I just want to have a question clarified. We are considering a half day tour through the ship as the tour operator we have booked with is not getting back to us and I am afraid is unreliable. If we do the half day tour is walking to and from the ship to town an option? It is our last port day on a TA cruise and I would love to have a local lunch. I can have plenty of American food on the ship.

Town is an easy walk from the ship. There are carriage rides around town as well as shops and restaurants. Enjoy your day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were there on NCL about 8 years ago. My recollection is that we walked into town easily. I didn't see any likely looking restaurants, but then we weren't looking for any! It was a pleasant town to walk around though. (I had forgotten my camera and only realized that as we were half way to the ship -- this was a NY-Barcelona. Ponta Delgado was my first chance -- i.e., our first port -- where I could pick up one for the rest of our cruise.)

Mura

I'm on the jewel and azores is our last stop before san Juan. I'm glad I found this thread regarding possibly not docking. I have booked a coasteering tour with a company that says I can pay in cash on arrival. Some of the places want money up front and I'm not a real fan of that unless it's a small deposit.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Ginny, we have been to Ponta Delgada 5 times and the best tour operator is Gary Travassos of Azorean Tours. Give him my name and he will treat you well. We have enjoyed a local lunch in Furnas with him several times that is very reasonable with good food. Email me at ortenw at gmail dot com and I can answer your questions and give you other details. IMO the areas of Sao Miguel (the "Green Island") outside the city are more interesting and a full day tour would be a better experience.

Bill