More "Dumbing Down" of Cunard ??

Transatlantic Tom

I actually get this working in London. I'm not making this up, but about 2 weeks ago someone I work with in London asked me where I'd traveled from this morning. Chester I said. And he replied "Is that near Chesterfield ?"

So don't just mock the Americans, people from London are just as bad !

Yes please don't mock the Americans.. some Americans have traveled extensively in the UK and know

where cities and ports are located. I once had a British traveler ask me if one could see San Diego, Los Angeles, and San francisco in the same day. (By car.) Some cruise lines will say Le Havre (for Paris.)

Also amazing are the numbers of folks who do not realize the Hawaiian Islands are ~~~ Islands ~~~~ !!

And you must take a plane to get from one to another.

Yes-Yes-- I know--- cruise ships drop visitors off at the 4 major islands for day-trips. But there are no ferries / ships for 'every day' passage from one island to the next.

Guest SilverHengroen
I am going to call it now. Cunard won't make it to it's 200th anniversary. I don't see it lasting more than 10 more years.

To be honest it’s been the case since 1998 that carnival could decide at the drop of a hat it’s no longer worth the effort and expense of keeping the line going, retire the brand and reassign the ships amongst its other fleets... I take 2022 as a good sign that Cunard is still delivering on the profitability front and that’s why (really) we shouldn’t whinge about it looking like Chichén Itzá at the front!

To be honest it’s been the case since 1998 that carnival could decide at the drop of a hat it’s no longer worth the effort and expense of keeping the line going, retire the brand and reassign the ships amongst its other fleets... I take 2022 as a good sign that Cunard is still delivering on the profitability front and that’s why (really) we shouldn’t whinge about it looking like Chichén Itzá at the front!

The quality of the ships are going down as is the service I found that this time round. It only takes someone to take them on for transatlantic crossings and they could be in trouble. Besides the younger generations of cruisers don't seem to be into Cunard do they? And they are so arrogant to claim the ships are always full the Jan 3rd crossing was not full it was about 80% max.

As if being called a "guest" wasn't bad enough....

...NOW Cunard marketing emails are offering "transatlantic crossings from NY to LONDON" (or vice versa); cruises to/from London TOO !!

Unless QM2, QV & QE have secretly begun sailings to/from Tilbury, the Isle of Dogs or The Embankment - I wish that Cunard would stop this silliness. :D

Southampton, Southampton, Southampton !!!

Unfortunately, it's not new, and it isn't just a Cunard thing. It's industry wide. There's a whole bunch of itineraries that list:

Warnemunde for Berlin

Civitavecchia for Rome

Le Havre for Paris

Port Said for Cairo

Port Canaveral for Orlando

Cape Liberty/Bayonne for New York

And those are just the ones off the top of my head.

On Q.V. at the moment. Tonight is roaring 20s evening. There is zero interest in this event. So much so I have gone back to the cabin to change. People on this website who v

Continuously promote formal dress as the norm are either not regular cruisers or are living in a different world.

s

I'm also on the qv. There were lots of people dressed for the roaring 20s ball last night and the queen's room was busy. It was a very enjoyable evening. To say there was zero interest is just wrong.

Guest SilverHengroen
The quality of the ships are going down as is the service I found that this time round. It only takes someone to take them on for transatlantic crossings and they could be in trouble. Besides the younger generations of cruisers don't seem to be into Cunard do they? And they are so arrogant to claim the ships are always full the Jan 3rd crossing was not full it was about 80% max.

And I have found service consistently excellent across all my sailings, and I think it’s fair to point out Cunard has never had a better fleet in terms of amenities offered, consistency of experience, safety or itineraries offered. My first sailing was in 2011, when I was 16, since then I have introduced many friends to the line and all have loved it. Who is going to build a ship capable of competing with QM2 on the Atlantic if it would end up causing both ships to operate at a loss until one or the other blinked?

And I have found service consistently excellent across all my sailings, and I think it’s fair to point out Cunard has never had a better fleet in terms of amenities offered, consistency of experience, safety or itineraries offered. My first sailing was in 2011, when I was 16, since then I have introduced many friends to the line and all have loved it. Who is going to build a ship capable of competing with QM2 on the Atlantic if it would end up causing both ships to operate at a loss until one or the other blinked?

Well on the Jan 3rd sailing they had a problem with the water supply, half the public toilets would not flush the some of the lifts did not work for periods of time. There is also apparently something wrong with one of the thrusters requiring a dry dock visit at some point.

Guest SilverHengroen
Well on the Jan 3rd sailing they had a problem with the water supply, half the public toilets would not flush the some of the lifts did not work for periods of time. There is also apparently something wrong with one of the thrusters requiring a dry dock visit at some point.

Which ship? My most recent sailing was on QE (which is currently the ship with the longest gap since her last refit) last year, and I found everything to be in very good condition, all things considered. Granted I didn’t set foot in a public toilet (I always try to avoid doing that where reasonably possible) but I didn’t note any other plumbing issues...

Which ship? My most recent sailing was on QE (which is currently the ship with the longest gap since her last refit) last year, and I found everything to be in very good condition, all things considered. Granted I didn’t set foot in a public toilet (I always try to avoid doing that where reasonably possible) but I didn’t note any other plumbing issues...

The queen mary 2 was the ship had a few problems during it's sailing and I have heard there is a problem with the bow thruster whatever that means and it is currently about 1 week into it's world cruise as of right now.

Guest SilverHengroen
The queen mary 2 was the ship had a few problems during it's sailing and I have heard there is a problem with the bow thruster whatever that means and it is currently about 1 week into it's world cruise as of right now.

Well my last sailing on QM2 was a couple of months after her refit - everything was immaculate at that point as you’d expect. I’m sure issues and problems do arise, but I have never experienced any outside of what you can put down to reasonable wear and tear personally, nor anyone I know who has sailed.

But she managed 26/28 knots on her last Atlantic crossing being only 2 hours late after delayed departure from NY and she berthed in OCean Terminal with or without bow thrusters

Did you have any rough weather on the crossing?