Ziplock bag uses

caribophile

A friend recently suggested that I pack small and large ziplock bags. Could you dear CC folks offer some tips re specific uses you've discovered for these on your cruises? I'm thinking I'd like to collate them into a 'master list' to share with other cruisers. Thanks for your help!

A friend recently suggested that I pack small and large ziplock bags. Could you dear CC folks offer some tips re specific uses you've discovered for these on your cruises? I'm thinking I'd like to collate them into a 'master list' to share with other cruisers. Thanks for your help!

Some pax use them to take snacks off the ship when they go on long excursions.

DDP uses one to pack some of the cookies left over from the meet and greet to have later in the week. He loves the white chocolate macadamia nut ones and they rarely have them on the buffet.

If we have a have a long hot excursion, we put some ice and a washcloth in one and take it along. Wiping our faces with a cool cloth feels so good.

If we have a beach day, we will put our wallets in them to stay dry and then use them for our wet bathing suits for the return to the ship.

I use zip locks to hold my necklaces. Keeps them from getting tangled. Also great for bracelets. Rings/earrings go in snack size bags.

Large or jumbo size for dirty clothes, packing wet bathing suits or dirty shoes. I like to pack socks and undergarments in zip lock bags. We use various sizes of packing/storage bags ( the kind you suck or squeeze air out of ) to pack like clothing such as shorts or t shirts. Makes unpacking a breeze.

Edited by punkincc

I pack my clothing in the jumbo, 2xl size. Keeps them neat in the suitcase and really easy to unpack. Press out all the air before sealing. Just as good, if not better than space bags! I keep all underwear and socks in them in the drawers in night table. I do use them to bring food on some long bus excursions. There have been two and even three hour bus rides and they come in handy for snacking. The cookies are great to bring. There is no problem taking them off the ship.

Besides what others have said..I also use them to keep items in the refrig..ie lemons for my water...and any unfinished snacks the butler brings..(I hate to waste !)

I keep a supply of different sizes in the outside pocket on my suitcase..so always there for our next cruise..

I pack my clothing in the jumbo, 2xl size. Keeps them neat in the suitcase and really easy to unpack. Press out all the air before sealing. Just as good, if not better than space bags! I keep all underwear and socks in them in the drawers in night table. I do use them to bring food on some long bus excursions. There have been two and even three hour bus rides and they come in handy for snacking. The cookies are great to bring. There is no problem taking them off the ship.

With as many cruises as you've been on I'm surprised to see you say there is no problem taking cookies off the ship~ I've seen garbage cans full of food that people have tried to take off the ship, I've seen dogs sniffing around people getting off the ship in ports~ and I've been on a lot less cruises than you have.

If it starts raining on an excursion, we put cameras, kindles, and other electronics in a bag to keep them dry. Also good for keeping books/paper items or clean clothes dry.

Good for segregating wet clothes from dry ones or dirty from clean ones.

Makes a good impromptu ice pack.

Quart size bags are good for toiletries, makeup, or corralling small items.

Snack size bags for bringing cookies or cheese cubes from the buffet to munch on in other areas of the ship while I'm reading.

Or to bring back to the cabin for eating before I take meds that require food.

When I'm packing I use various sizes to put lotions, sunscreen, toothpaste etc in so that if it leaks it doesn't get on the clothes.

We use a gallon size in the safe. We put passports, wallets, credit cards, etc. into it. I got the idea when reading about the fire on Grandeur last year. Someone suggested it so that in case of emergency, you could just grab the bag and go. But we now find it very convenient to pull the bag out and get what we need in the light instead of digging around in the dark safe. Also make it impossible to leave a small item behind on the last day.

We use a gallon size in the safe. We put passports, wallets, credit cards, etc. into it. I got the idea when reading about the fire on Grandeur last year. Someone suggested it so that in case of emergency, you could just grab the bag and go. But we now find it very convenient to pull the bag out and get what we need in the light instead of digging around in the dark safe. Also make it impossible to leave a small item behind on the last day.

Good idea! It's one I hadn't thought of but will be using in the future. I always have baggies of various sizes for leftovers from the butler and for cheese and pretzel rolls. We love to snack on our balcony. Also good for wet bathing suits until we return to the ship.

Really like the idea of the bag in the safe. That's added to my new repertoire!

We use them for snacks. We use them for wet clothes. We use them for toiletries. Etc. Most everything everyone has already said.

I also use the snack ones to pack a few medicine cups - you know, the ones that come on top of the bottle of OTC meds, for proper measure. With kids, and allergies, it's imperative. Once used, dirty ones go in another snack size bag. Keeps the sticky factor down.

I also generally pack a kitchen trash bag or two in the outer pocket. After being at Disney World, and having one of the girls get tummy sick, I desperately could have used one to take things to the laundry room.

Recent land trip to Bar Harbor, the girls used them to collect shells and things from the sand bar there.

I have even used them as a makeshift emesis basin when one of the girls got car sick. Saved us all a bunch of grief.

Great idea!! I use them to put my toiletries in for my suitcase. Also when I go to the beach so sand and water won't get in my iPhone. I also keep pretzel rolls in them from the buffet and keep in my cabin to snack on. Love those things!! :D

• 1 month later...
With as many cruises as you've been on I'm surprised to see you say there is no problem taking cookies off the ship~ I've seen garbage cans full of food that people have tried to take off the ship, I've seen dogs sniffing around people getting off the ship in ports~ and I've been on a lot less cruises than you have.

Absolutely NEVER saw dogs sniffing and we have been all over on ships! They take your card and simply check you out...they DO CHECK possessions when you get back ON the ship! Only when we are leaving for final disembarkation do they warn you about removing food...and we were NEVER stopped or checked even then!

I love the idea of putting bags into the safe. On the last two cruises we found jewelry in our safe, ( which we returned to the officers on the ship). It was under the felt paper on the bottom of the safe. We were feeling around for my watch and found it there. It is my next new thing to do!

Also...I pack trash bags as a suitcase liner. Once we had our luggage standing in pouring rain alongside the ship after they took it, and everything was soaked inside when we got it outside our room, so now I protect the clothing. After we unpack, I use the bags to put dirty clothing into, and tuck it away neatly to keep the room tidy. When we pack up to come home, I place the bags over the clean clothes, and dump the dirty over hem. Then unpacking at home is easy...first layer is for washing and dry cleaner, then the trash bag, then clean clothing! Trash bag returns to suitcase so I don't forget it for next cruise.

Yes, zip locks make great ice packs ! BTW.. I am sooo anal, I label my bags...LOL! I have a bag for camera accessories, one for cords, etc.